PDA

View Full Version : chrony to start with

jcw1970
02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Not sure if this is considered reloading equipment but I'm looking to get a chrony and was wondering what a good starter model would be? What do I want to look for in a chronograph? And if anyone out there has one they would like to part with, let me know.

Lead Fred
02-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Ive owned one, a Chrony F-1.

The only problem Ive had with it, is the 45-70 blew the face plate off from 2 feet away. Super glued fixed it.

Best $80 I spent

Ajax
02-11-2010, 07:20 PM
try here a little cheaper http://www.eabco.com/chronyshooting.htm.

Andy

376Steyr
02-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Try Pact.com and look for the Model 1. It costs a little more than the Chrony types, but has the advantage of having only the cheap parts of the system sitting downrange.

sabot_round
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Ive owned one, a Chrony F-1.

The only problem Ive had with it, is the 45-70 blew the face plate off from 2 feet away. Super glued fixed it.

Best $80 I spent

^^^^^^^^^^^This!! I don't regret it one bit and is very user friendly.

bigboredad
02-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a chrony beta master and I love it. Its very nice to see what you are doing and in my gun s the velocities have been much higher than I expected so that was really cool to see

Shiloh
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Traded my Chrony F-1 that was destroyed by a .30 cal slug, back to Chrony for the Blue Beta Model.

Love it. Chrony gives 10% off for trade ins in any condition.

SHiloh

RobS
02-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Traded my Chrony F-1 that was destroyed by a .30 cal slug, back to Chrony for the Blue Beta Model.

Love it. Chrony gives 10% off for trade ins in any condition.

SHiloh

Didn't know this..........good to know.

I too have the Blue Beta Model Chrony and it has given me good results. I also had the F1 Chrony model and it too worked well (my Dad now has it). A chronograph is something that I need as it is the only way to ball park pressures if you don't have means to pressure testing or have a software program. It's also nice to check standard deviation and simple velocity of reloads etc. Well worth the investment IMHO.

dragonrider
02-13-2010, 12:25 PM
+1 for a Pact, any model.

GP100man
02-13-2010, 03:29 PM
I have the F-1 & it works !
I had to get used to shootin @ sumtin that costs that much & had a little trouble with errors to start with (shootin too hi)!!!

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0179.jpg

Shiloh
02-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Didn't know this..........good to know.

I too have the Blue Beta Model Chrony and it has given me good results. I also had the F1 Chrony model and it too worked well (my Dad now has it). A chronograph is something that I need as it is the only way to ball park pressures if you don't have means to pressure testing or have a software program. It's also nice to check standard deviation and simple velocity of reloads etc. Well worth the investment IMHO.

Yup
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm

Never thought a Chronograph was necessary, until I got one. Geez, does it come in handy for working up loads and knowing EXACTLY (Give or take) what your load are doing.

Shiloh

Shooter6br
02-13-2010, 04:31 PM
My money is on the Pact Model ! Had mine for about 15 yrs. Bought at Midway when on special Nice wide screens easy to use. Does simple calulations Vel SD average etc. Pact Mod 2 has printer hook up and balistic calculations Had an old Chrony Mod 1 .Gave it away. Do not like the machine in front of the firing line( No I never shot it Some guys have) Just my 2 cents

JeffinNZ
02-13-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a second generation Chrony and it is now 15 years old. Works great. One small repair when a .22 gas check struck the front and ruined the 'crystal' but an electronics whiz friend fixed it for me.

Artful
02-14-2010, 02:00 AM
I have a chrony - one thing I did to modify was change from factory sticks to wooden (less shock to to unit if hit) and painted the sticks yellow and red so that when I'm looking thru the scope I know where the cross hairs have to be to avoid hitting the unit - several friends have done theirs in not accounting for that 2 inch above bore scope mounting

- Oh and if you shop around the price a new unit can be cheaper than retail less 10% chrony offers for a damaged unit. but check 'em out for reconditioned units at a good price.
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_reconditioned.htm

abunaitoo
02-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm also interested in what is recomended.
Never owned a chrony.
Always wanted one, but other things always came up.
I'll be using it only for rifle.
Mostly cast bullets.
Want it with the remote read out.

abunaitoo
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I was just reading the instructions for a F-1 Chrony.
It says, for a rifle, it should be set-up 10 to 15 feet from the muzzel.
Seems like kind of far away.
Are they all set-up like this?????

giz189
02-17-2010, 01:12 PM
I was just reading the instructions for a F-1 Chrony.
It says, for a rifle, it should be set-up 10 to 15 feet from the muzzel.
Seems like kind of far away.
Are they all set-up like this?????Pretty much.

pdawg_shooter
02-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Try Pact.com and look for the Model 1. It costs a little more than the Chrony types, but has the advantage of having only the cheap parts of the system sitting downrange.

+1 on the Pact!