PDA

View Full Version : New articles at the Box O' Truth

markinalpine
02-11-2010, 02:24 PM
http://www.theboxotruth.com/index.htm

The Box O' Truth - What you always wanted to know... But were unable to test yourself!

New articles posted yesterday. If you've never visited this site, there are many interesting and fun articles. [smilie=s:

Mark :coffeecom

BOOM BOOM
02-11-2010, 08:04 PM
HI,
I found that to be interesting. Thanks.

leadman
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Read the article on moly coating rifle bullets. Guess the guy didn't realize moly coating bullets goes back at least into the 30's.

lwknight
02-12-2010, 02:00 AM
I love that website. The old guy definately has time and $$.
I agree with his mantra too " Its fun to shoot stuff"

dualsport
02-12-2010, 03:17 AM
I've been saving up old phone books. I've read about them being water soaked and used for tests. Any idea how this would compare to balistic gelatin? Also, anyone know the FBI standard test? I saw where it starts with a leather coat, but that's all I remember. I don't have to worry much about penetrating cars, but it's fun stuff to mess with.

markinalpine
02-12-2010, 02:29 PM
OP, Ol' Painless, covers this topic many times at his site. Essentially, all you can really tell with wet phone books or wet newspaper is that for that ONE test, comparatively one bullet, load, or whatever you've varied penetrates more or less than another.
There is no way to correlate home brew test setups to CALIBRATED ballistic gelatin. Even the water jugs used by OP are only an approximation.
Yes, your home brew will provide useful information, but really only once, since you can't replicate it exactly. So go ahead, but recognize the limitations.
Mark :coffeecom