PDA

View Full Version : Sporterizing the No. 4, Mk I

Blackwater
06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Has anyone ever made up a stock for the #4 (or #1) Enfield with a classic, non-monte carlo'd, cheekpieced buttstock, and a slenderized, schnabblized forend? Kind of a "Ghost and the Darkness" type of thing? The gunsmith I'm working with now has a stock he's bondo'd up, and it's a REAL HONEY of a stock, but th' rascal's slow as molasses in the frozen north, and patience isn't my strongest virtue. I'm thinking about schnabblizing the forend on my military stock, just to see what that'd do for it.

I've tried threats, entreatments, and nothing gets him on the job until he gets darn good and ready. The plan is to use it as a pattern and get it duplicated on a pantograph a friend of his has. That's IF and WHEN he gets his round tuit, of course. VERY frustrating!

He's had it on his N0 1, Mk III, and it makes an absolutely exquisite feeling rifle. Thus my lack of patience. The buttstock, I know, won't be worth a hoot, but I may cut a comb off another stock, and stick it on the military stock. Maybe if I do that, he'll take pity .... and maybe not .... dang it!

Y'all ever get a severe case of the "I just can't waits???"

Four Fingers of Death
06-13-2006, 03:12 AM
I'd be reluctant to chop up the standard stock, you should be able to swap it for an already sporterised one with a cash difference in your favour. The original ones are getting harder to find complete and the value of the rifle drops after bubbarising.

Antietamgw
06-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Sometimes it goes that way. I'm not a paid 'smith but have done a bunch of work over the years. Some things I can knock out on demand, others, like wood work require that I be in the right frame of mind to do the job justice. I hope your pattern gets done soon and that you will post some pics when it's finished. I have an SMLE setting in a tupperware stock now that deserves some good wood and your description sounds like our tastes are similar.

Frank46
06-25-2006, 01:58 AM
Blackwater, saw a custom enfield some years back. One thing that stood out was a set of one standing leaf and about 3 folding leaves. Just sort of like those on double rifles. Course maybe numrich just might have a adjustable barrel mounted sight like those used on their super grades in 375 and 458. Now that would be nice. Frank

KCSO
07-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Three leaf rear sights are available from Brownell's and the stocks are available from Boyds. I have done #4's and they are usually a little more accurate than a #3. I am currently working on a #3 that is being made to match the Lee Speed, and I just finished making a 6 shot magazine. Rather than spen 120 bucks for a rear sight I used a rear from a Ruger and it looks good with the rib. I wil try and post some pictures.

Blackwater
07-12-2006, 11:25 PM
I'd really like to see those pics. A fella' brought a couple of Lee Speeds by the shot recently, and they sure do speak to a guy, don't they?