PDA

View Full Version : 32 magnum heavy bullets

glen ring
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I've read that the Thompson 32 magnum barrels are .308. Has anyone had experience building loads with heavy bullets, say a 165 grain hpbt? Should be a perfect case for a 30 cal. "Whisper type" round.

Dale53
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The problem with a bullet this heavy in the .32 Magnum is the small capacity of the case. It would be REALLY easy to get into serious pressure problems.

However, after trying the .32 Magnum in a custom SSK barrel (.312") with standard weight bullets for Hunter Pistol, I was quite disappointed. They were terrific at 25 and 50 yards, but started to spread out at 75 yards and by 100 yards were hopeless.

My "final solution" was to get a TC barrel in .30 Carbine and use a 170 gr bullet in that. It worked beyond my wildest expectations. Not only was it accurate at 100 yards (2" groups) but I actually believe I was limited in accuracy, not by the cartridge or bullet but by the low power of the 2 power scope I was using.

I could hold right on at 25, 50, and 75 yards, and hold on the back of the ram at 100 yards without changing my sights. It made a WONDERFUL combination for hunter pistol. My best score was a 38 but I mostly averaged 35-36 or so.

It was glorious to watch it take down the ram. It didn't just knock it down but slammed it back to the berm (little boys just LOVE to break things:mrgreen:). I used a stiff charge of RL-7 and can recommend the combination.

FWIW
Dale53

ktw
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Most guys who contemplate this sooner or later come to the realization that you can do the exact same thing, probably better, with a 30-30 Contender barrel.

-ktw

glen ring
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
The 30-30 can probably do it....but just think how cool a 32 magnum would look loaded with a 165 grain BTSP bullet!! I think someone mentioned an article a few years ago in IHMSA news titled the 30 super slow., but I can't find that article.

anachronism
02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Most guys who contemplate this sooner or later come to the realization that you can do the exact same thing, probably better, with a 30-30 Contender barrel.

-ktw

Not in field pistol you can't.

ihmsakiwi
02-11-2010, 04:29 AM
I've read that the Thompson 32 magnum barrels are .308. Has anyone had experience building loads with heavy bullets, say a 165 grain hpbt? Should be a perfect case for a 30 cal. "Whisper type" round.

Hi Glenring,

i shoot the 32 Mag in a 10" TC with the RCBS 165gr bullet in Big Bore Field Pistol.
My load is Starline brass, 9.2 grains of ADI 2205 ( 4227 equiv) federal SR primer with a GC'd bullet. Please do your own load developement, but this is mild in my TC.
It is a whisper load that takes 200 metre rams 99.9% of the time. I have lost the odd one with a low in the leg hit. Its good to be able to fire, lift your head a watch the targets fall. I load this for my young nephew who has just started BB shooting and he is not far behind me with my BF production gun. Peter

glen ring
02-11-2010, 09:25 AM
ihnsakiwi
Thanks for the info! I don't know why I need one, but I want a 327 magnum in a 10 inch contender. My thoughts are that it would be great to have one cal. to shoot field pistol( with light loads) and heavy bullets in the same pistol for BB. Everything I shoot is usually also shot by my wife and I keep everything at a min. power level so she won't be turned off by excessive muzzel blast and recoil. Thanks for you reply!