PDA

View Full Version : Ruger New vaquero cylinder help

ironcowboy
02-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, as i was pulling my vaquero out of the gun safe last night, i managed to drop it... Luckily it landed on a cardboard box, and i couldn't find so much as a scratch on it, but then when i went to spin the cylinder after opening the loading gate (as always to make sure it unloaded) it turned real funny, kinda felt like something was jammed, and it did not click... Also, it turns backwards now?
I pulled the cylinder out, and the little part that rotates the cylinder when you cock the hammer looked like it was farther back in the normal and maybe not engaging?
Any help here would be great.

Thanks guys!

MtGun44
02-11-2010, 01:06 AM
That part is the hand, and it has a little spring that holds it forward. Sounds like the
spring popped out of place or the hand itself is dislocated.

Sounds like a careful, observant disassembly it in order.

Bill

ironcowboy
02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
That part is the hand, and it has a little spring that holds it forward. Sounds like the
spring popped out of place or the hand itself is dislocated.

Sounds like a careful, observant disassembly it in order.

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for the help!!! Makes sense to me.
This will be my first disassembly, any tips?? I dont want to mess it up...

RingoLeadbedder
02-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Check out this link http://bullspit.us/?p=31

S.R.Custom
02-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Check out this link http://bullspit.us/?p=31

Excellent. Note the following pics. The spring and plunger pointed at by the screwdriver is what pushes the pawl forward. [Memo to Bill: A "hand" is what S&W calls it. "Pawl" is the correct Ruger term.] It doesn't seem likely to me that just dropping the gun would cause this spring to cease doing its job. Except for the little bit of plunger sticking out against the pawl, the spring and plunger is totally enclosed in the hole in the frame.

I'd work at freeing the pawl up with a tooth pick or something before I tore into the whole gun.

http://bullspit.us/pics/hammerswap/IMG_5151.jpg

http://bullspit.us/pics/hammerswap/IMG_5156.jpg

ironcowboy
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys! Your awesome!!! I'll wiggle around with it a bit, and if that dont fix it i'll rip her down! :)

Just looked at the link, great help, but holy moly! It sure looks hard. haha:Fire:

ironcowboy
02-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I took it apart as far as the above photo shows, and checked to see if the spring and detent were free, they were... So i put it back together and still had the problem. I guess i'll have to take it down all the way now...
Also, the grip frame screws in the back were very hard coming out and going in, is that normal???

Hickory
02-11-2010, 06:18 PM
If you need help taking it apart or putting it back together check out this site.

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html#

S.R.Custom
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
It's normal for all the screws to be tight. Depending on the vintage of the gun, they're either Ny-Locs or they're Loc-tited in.

At this point I don't see having to tear down the whole gun; the pawl is connected to the hammer, so you shouldn't need to go into the trigger & related springery. As for your problem, I imagine that when it fell, it forced the cylinder to turn backwards, binding something up. Look for a bent pawl, and there should be free movement between the pawl and hammer at the pinned connection.

ironcowboy
02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
It's normal for all the screws to be tight. Depending on the vintage of the gun, they're either Ny-Locs or they're Loc-tited in.

At this point I don't see having to tear down the whole gun; the pawl is connected to the hammer, so you shouldn't need to go into the trigger & related springery. As for your problem, I imagine that when it fell, it forced the cylinder to turn backwards, binding something up. Look for a bent pawl, and there should be free movement between the pawl and hammer at the pinned connection.

I ended up taking it all a part, cleaned everything with hot water and soap and carefully put it back together (like 5 times till i got it right, haha) Turned out to be easer then i thought, not quite as hard as building my AR15's. It now works fine!!! :) The problem was the little button thing thats right near the firing pin, that was stuck in, after taking it apart and super cleaning it, it popped out and the gun now functions fine, though the loading gate is SUPER hard to open and close, so i might have to take it apart again to make sure i got that part alright...

dubber123
02-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I can't recall the part that fits near the loading gate, but if it's in wrong, the gate opens very hard or not at all. Look carefully around the gate both opened and closed. I think you can see the end of the part when it's out of place.

ironcowboy
02-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, it was out of place once, but i put it back in, it now looks right, but still opens very hard. I'll rip it apart again here and see that its not pinched or something.

jhrosier
02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
ironcowboy,
That loading gate spring can be a little stinker. It will go in two or three different ways but only one actually works.
The little vertical leg nubber likes to get in front of the gate instead of under it where it belongs.
A little carefully applied profanity will make you feel better while you are trying to outsmart the spring, if nobody else is around to offend.[smilie=b:

Jack

44man
02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Forcing the trigger pin in backwards might be the trouble.

MtGun44
02-12-2010, 01:04 AM
HMM. Hand vs pawl.

I've been inside a lot more S&Ws than Rugers, so I use the terminology that I'm
familiar with. I think Colt calls it a hand in the SAA.

Sounds like it needed cleaning and lubing as much as anything.

Bill

S.R.Custom
02-12-2010, 01:34 AM
I was just jerking a knot in your chain, Bill... :-P

I don't know why everyone has to be different. Hand, pawl, whatever. Looks like a ratchet to me...

ironcowboy
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
ironcowboy,
That loading gate spring can be a little stinker. It will go in two or three different ways but only one actually works.
The little vertical leg nubber likes to get in front of the gate instead of under it where it belongs.
A little carefully applied profanity will make you feel better while you are trying to outsmart the spring, if nobody else is around to offend.[smilie=b:

Jack

Thanks Jack, it looks like its in the right way but i'll take it apart again to make sure. It did jump in front of the loading gate a few times! But i finally got it back in place. haha As you said, the trick is to be smarter then the spring, something it appears i'm still working on...

Forcing the trigger pin in backwards might be the trouble.

I ended up putting it in both ways, did not seam to make a difference, does the grooved end go at the loading gate spring? Or away from it?

S.R.Custom
02-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I ended up putting it in both ways, did not seam to make a difference, does the grooved end go at the loading gate spring? Or away from it?

The spring snaps into the groove...

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/157400000/157400767/pix44480187.jpg

ironcowboy
02-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I ended up figuring it out then, smooth as butter now!! Thanks alot guys!!!

RayinNH
02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't you just love a happy ending [smilie=l:...Ray