PDA

View Full Version : 1st PP effort

RugerFan
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
My first stab at paper patching is with a Ruger M77 Hawkeye .358 Win. I had a few 358318s laying around (#2 alloy), so I sized them to .356” (my 9mm sizer die), patched with lined notebook paper (wet, folded at the base and let dry), sized to .359” (with a little Turtle wax as lube) and loaded with a book starting jacketed charge of H4895. 50 yd group was a shotgun pattern. After further review, it appears I miscalculated the length of the patch and it only wrapped 1 and a half times around the bullet instead of 2 complete wraps. I’m guessing that’s where the inaccuracy came from.

Try #2 came with RCBS 35-250-SP bullets. This time I got a hold of some tracing paper that seemed to work a little better. 2 even wraps, twisted tail that was trimmed at the base after drying, then sized to .359”. I loaded some rounds with jacket starting loads of H4895, IMR 3031 and IMR 4064 and fired 5 each at 50 yds (I didn’t chronograph, but should have been around 2,000 fps). 5 shot groups ranged from 0.8” to 1.2” with 4064 being the tightest. Much better, but I want that same accuracy at 100 yds and 300 FPS faster. Much more testing is in order, but things are looking up.

scrapcan
02-10-2010, 12:45 PM
keep us posted on your efforts, always good to see another one trying things out.

CJR
02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Another one bites the dust!

Best regards,

CJR

Nobade
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Alright, another 358 shooter! I just recently got mine going, and I'm really liking it. I'm having great results with the BRP 215 grain 35PP/348 plinker bullet wrapped with drafting vellum. Cast from air cooled wheelweights it is very accurate and patches up to .359" without having to size it down first. I haven't found if it has a speed limit yet, it's still shooting great with max powder charges at 2400-2500 fps.

RugerFan
02-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Alright, another 358 shooter! I just recently got mine going, and I'm really liking it. I'm having great results with the BRP 215 grain 35PP/348 plinker bullet wrapped with drafting vellum. Cast from air cooled wheelweights it is very accurate and patches up to .359" without having to size it down first. I haven't found if it has a speed limit yet, it's still shooting great with max powder charges at 2400-2500 fps.

What kind of sizer are you using? I have been using an RCBS sizer and I get tearing of the patch sometimes (maybe catching on the lube holes?). I've read that others use a Lee press mounted sizer, which sizes nose first instead of base first and in one pass instead of 2 (down and back up).

Bullshop
02-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Rugerfan
Crank up a little lube pressure on your sizer when running patched boolits through it.
It will keep the patch from tearing on the lube vents and put a thin film of lube on the patch, both good things.
BIC/BS

lwknight
02-11-2010, 12:57 AM
The Lee push through sizer worked out great for me.
About 2% tin in the mix helps the boolit retain its weight in water tests and still allows good mushrooming. Without it I found that the lead just erodes away instead of building a large shroom.

Nobade
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I use the Lee type push through sizers. I'll have to try the tip with the lubrisizer dies - I haven't been able to get them to work with PP boolits yet.

RugerFan
02-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Rugerfan
Crank up a little lube pressure on your sizer when running patched boolits through it.
It will keep the patch from tearing on the lube vents and put a thin film of lube on the patch, both good things.
BIC/BS

I assume you still get the "confetti effect" upon shooting. I was hestitant to over do the lube, but will give this a try.

The Lee push through sizer worked out great for me.
About 2% tin in the mix helps the boolit retain its weight in water tests and still allows good mushrooming. Without it I found that the lead just erodes away instead of building a large shroom.

I use the Lee type push through sizers. I'll have to try the tip with the lubrisizer dies - I haven't been able to get them to work with PP boolits yet.

Ahh...good information here. Just what I need for try#3. I love this forum!