PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for .357 Desert Eagle

Joneser
02-10-2010, 05:51 AM
I currently have a Springfield 45 and a Beretta 9mm. I want to buy a .357 and was looking at Magnum Research. Curious if anyone has one and reloads for it?

Calvin

machinisttx
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM
IMI/Desert Eagle warns against the use of cast bullets due to the gas system of the pistol.

wonderwolf
02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
You may be better off going with a revolver if you want a .357 magnum, You can't get away with limp wristing the DE in 357 it will either eat up your brass or just wont cycle. A revolver would allow you to use everything from mouse fart 38 loads, shot loads to house rocking mag loads....and they are about 1/2 price of the DE in most cases. Good mags for the DE can be expensive and like stated above you will need to load jacketed bullets though I have heard some guys are getting away with shooting cast bullets...I wouldn't do it myself

beagle
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I don't know about the .357s but the .44 Mag "Desert Creatures" mangle brass worse than the FN rifles.

I read somewhere recently that they were bringing back the Coonan .357s and they're a class act in the realm of semiauto .357s. Might look around for one of them.

Darned things shoot like a rifle./beagle

ebner glocken
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't own a .357 eagle but do have a .41 mag. From my experience I bought mine used, it bunged up brass and jamed most of the time. After taking it apart, soaking the barrel in kroil for about a week, and flushing the fouling out of the gas system with contact cleaner things changed.
I haven't had much chance experimenting with it since then but I can tell you that everything that I have shot through it has grouped tight and functioned 100% w/o basterdizing the brass. The only load that I have tried so far has been a sierra 170 JHC (MR only recommends 210s) so I'm wondering how well this thing will shoot when I get what is actually recommended for them.
No, this isn't the pistol I would recommend to someone for their first gun or even their fifth. I still don't believe the stories of the eagles being a horridly overpriced piece of junk

Ebner

Bullshop Junior
02-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I have a friend that has 2. A 44 mag and a 50 AE, and we likes them both a lot. He has had my dad reload his brass several times, and the number of ones that are ruined out of 1000 (He always has us do batches of 1000, and has us do the often) is very slim.

Joneser
02-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

dk17hmr
02-11-2010, 02:12 AM
My dad has a 357 DE, that shoots 158gr JHP's very well, about 5" for a mag full at 100 yards with open sights. Brass piles up nicely when shooting, doesnt dent ding or mangle brass. I like the handgun but its big and heavy not something very practical for hunting carry. I would go with a revolver.

Bullshop Junior
02-11-2010, 02:19 AM
My dad has a 357 DE, that shoots 158gr JHP's very well, about 5" for a mag full at 100 yards with open sights. Brass piles up nicely when shooting, doesnt dent ding or mangle brass. I like the handgun but its big and heavy not something very practical for hunting carry. I would go with a revolver.

That's what I thought about my friends 44 and 50. To big and heavy. Funny thing is, this guy is a little guy. Real small. I think maybe a Revolver kicks to hard for him, and auto tones down recoil. I have no issue with Recoil from a 357, and think a good revolver is better.

Joneser
02-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I carry my Springfield 45 most of the time or my Beretta 9mm. I just wanted a DE as I have a but load of ammo. Everyone seems to have a different opinion....it would be just a toy for me. I have a case of 158JHP, about 2600 of them...thats why I am looking for a 357. Plenty of brass too. Not sure what i am going to buy but thanks for all the input.

dk17hmr
02-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Get the Desert Eagle. They are fun and accurate.

S.R.Custom
02-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I read somewhere recently that they were bringing back the Coonan .357s and they're a class act in the realm of semiauto .357s. Might look around for one of them.

They're not out yet. You might start by watching here...

http://www.coonaninc.com/pistols.php

Talked to 'em at the SHOTshow. They had a sample, and said production was expected to gear up later in the year. (It was a spot-on re-issue of the old pistol.)

Then a week later, I got something in the mail saying I could pre-order now. But there was a catch-- I had to order one of their FN receivers with it. Riiight.

leadeye
02-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I picked up one of the early 357 Eagles when they first showed up, really early 80s. Still have it and shoot it from time to time, it is very accurate with jacketed bullets. I did some loading with Blue Dot and FMJ bullets at very high levels as part of a trial to penetrate 3/8" HR steel swinging targets. It did the job or tore the door hinges holding the plates apart. One of the stupid things you do when you are young, but the pistol held up well. A very compressed load!

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2010, 08:22 AM
buddy just called me last night. Hes had a few de and he just took one in 357 in trade and wasnt to excited about it till he shot it. He was loading 158xtps and a full load with h108 and said it shot into an inch at 50 yards with open sights and his tired old eyes! thats one thing i can say about those DEs there big and clunky but ive yet to see one that wasnt a tack driver.

Joneser
02-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Now I am confused again....this is why we ask questions...thanks for the input.

wonderwolf
02-16-2010, 11:19 PM
(voice from cornfield says) "get a revolver as your magnum"

Marvin S
02-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I have two of them in 44mag and not a bad word to say about them. I have only shot 240 JHPs with them.