PDA

View Full Version : ID Ideal mold

Frozone
02-09-2010, 08:47 PM
I just picked up an 'Ideal' mold. A 2 cavity 454190.

Now I know that for a while the molds were marked with both the 'Lyman' and 'Ideal'. This was around the '40s wasn't it?
The strange thing - I don't think I have ever seen a 'Lyman' or 'Ideal' mold without vent lines. This mold has no vent lines, the faces are smooth.

Is anyone able to Enlighten me??? NEVER MIND FOUND INFO.

BTW It drops a WW bullet at .457 and beautifully round +- .0002. I like the little raised 'eye' in the flat nose too.

beagle
02-09-2010, 09:59 PM
A lot of the old Ideals were made without vent lines or have had them added by a home caster. I have several that cast perfect bullets without vent lines so don't get too wrapped around the axle about vent lines until you cast and see if you have a problem.

Then, if you want to vent, hit the top edges where the mould halves connect on either side of the cavities with a fine stone held at a 45 degree angle. Be gentle. Just enough so that you can see a "shine" on the edges of the mould halves. This will provide sufficient venting for the whole mould./beagle

Frozone
02-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks beagle,

I wasn't worried about the vents, I'd just never seen one of the bread without. Once I started looking around I found that aren't rare. Besides, the thing cast Great as it is.

One thing I forgot to add, and I think it helps date the mold. It has square lube grooves, didn't the 454190 go to round grooves eventually?

GLL
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
This old IDEAL 454190 is one of my VERY FAVORITE moulds !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/3DC734975B4795C/orig.jpg

beagle
02-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Think they did go to round grooves so the bullets would drop better but that was later on in the game.

I love the old 454190 for the .45 Colt. I shoot more of them than any other bullet in the Ruger Convertible. It's not bad in the .45 ACP cases in the convertible too./beagle

GLL
02-09-2010, 11:53 PM
The bullet on the left is from a more recent HP mould with round lube grooves. They are difficult to see at that angle.

Jerry

Frozone
02-10-2010, 01:08 AM
GLL,

That's the one. Just to make you jealous, I thinks mine's in a little better shape ;-)
It had a pretty brown patina from the (dried) storage oil, but look as good as new once that was off.

Like I said it casts great. As soon as I got it home I made up 250 or so. I'm looking forward to the range tomorrow.

GLL
02-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Frozone:

Mould envy ! ;) ;)

As you can see on the nose of the bullet (right), and the mould face, this one had a long hard life before I acquired it. The bullets are very uniform though and shoot VERY well ! :)

Love your avatar ! I worked among them every day during my 1960's employment in the mountains of northern Alaska ! Fun times ! :)

Jerry