PDA

View Full Version : Linotype sticking to mold

dpunch
02-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I was smelting a bucket of linotype yesterday and had a heck of a time getting
the ingot to release from the mold. I have a lyman ingot mold and have used it
with no problem for WW and soft lead. I just want to make sure that the lino does not have problems. I can get another 1000 lbs.

lwknight
02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Lino does not shrink like WW lead when it cools. Its just grabbing the sides with mechanical pressure. I cast a couple lino diving weights just for kicks to see what they looked like in the DW mold and they were plenty tough to get out. Lino is just hard.

I would suggest a graphite mold release for the Lyman molds. I use the 3X5 bread pans for ingots. You can make the ingots anywhere from about 1-1.5 pounds all the way up to 10 pounds. The ingots drop out easily too. New coated breadpans make fugly ingots. I burned mine in with the turker fryer burner . Just heated em up to red hot and it did not hurt a thing.

cbrick
02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Welcome to Castboolits dpunch,

LW is right.

Ingots, just as with boolits in the mould fall out because they shrink and no longer fit the cavity that made them. The higher the antimony percentage the less they shrink and this can make them a little tougher to get them out of the mould. Lino has 12% antimony and that's a lot so they shrink less upon cooling.

1000 pounds of lino? Grab it and keep your address a secret, your a rich man. :drinks:

Rick

dpunch
02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Thank you for your fast response. I was thinking of some dry graphite spray to put in mold. I guess I better go pick up the rest of the lino.

James

Lead Fred
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I can get another 1000 lbs.

Im betting folks will line up (behind me) to relieve you of this awful burden you carry

I use Kreol before hand, they dont seem to stick.

runfiverun
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
rust works fine too.