PDA

View Full Version : paper patch to fit a loose boolit?

bob4wd
02-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I know nothing about paper patching (and not a whole lot about anything else, for that matter), but I'm thinking it might be the way to go to solve a problem I'm having. Thanks entirely to this site, I've just recently discovered the world of low-velocity lead loads in old military rifles and am having a ball shooting them (and I do have a bunch!). I do not cast myself, prefer to use factory for that component, always with gas checks.
Most of 'em work real good, once the sights are reset, especially the various 30s and 8s. The 7 mms are a problem, though. Only one, a Mexican Mauser, groups satisfactorily. The others, a chilean Mauser and a Remington Rolling Block, group in a 3foot circle at 100 yards!
The same guns group ok with military jacketed ammo.
Since the jacketed stuff shoots ok, that would imply that the bore condition is ok and the muzzle crown also is. But the bore diameter seems to be a tad loose, based on a couple of bore slugs (I'm thinking heavier loads=more obturation and better bore sealing).
I forget the actual numbers, though.
Since I use only store-bought stuff, all of which seems to be the same size, my options are limited.
So-to the heart of the matter: would a paper patch pick up some of the slop?
If so-----where do I start???
Thanks much

docone31
02-09-2010, 03:03 PM
With my Enfield, I patch up to .314 to make it work. It is a loose bore.
Factory jacketeds are .311. .314 works well in my Smelly.
Yes, it can be done.

6.5 mike
02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi, Bob & welcome. I patch an as cast lee 7mm boolit up for one of my 98's. It drops at .2865, 2 wraps of tracing paper takes it up to .2915. Bore is .290. As long as you know what you need, pping will get you there.

pdawg_shooter
02-10-2010, 09:05 AM
My first paper patching experience was patching up .308 jacketed bullets to fit an old 8mm Mauser with a .318 bore. Worked great and got a nice old rifle out of the closet and back into the field.

1874Sharps
02-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Patching up to fit a loose bore is one of the virtues of paper patching, among several others as well such as a higher ballistic coefficient (other things being equal) due to the smooth sides of dedicated PP boolits, higher than normal CB velocity, little or no leading at all (depending on how it is patched and if the boolit is nose bore riding), etc. It has been a great and practical technological advance since 1870!