PDA

View Full Version : I see silver streaks in my muzzle !

superior
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
I've never seen leading before, so I'm not sure what I'm looking at. When I peer down the muzzle with a penlight, I see streaks of silver color following the grooves. I haven't taken off the lever yet to clean the 1895g through the breech and I hadn't planned on it. Could this coloration be normal? I used a pull-through with a very tight patch, and it brought up no lead. I then pulled a tight patch with some ATF on it and again, no lead and the silver coloring of the rifling was still there. The bore appears to be smooth, without buildup.:?:

docone31
02-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Is it leading, or just polished barrel points?
The leading I have found before was not so smooth in comparison to the bore. Mostly near the rifleing.

superior
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Is it leading, or just polished barrel points?
The leading I have found before was not so smooth in comparison to the bore. Mostly near the rifleing.

I'm not sure... After the first 20 rounds of Lee-457-405f's loaded with 34.5 grains 4198, I didn't notice any major difference in the way the bore looked, but after jacking the load up to 40 grains, I see the silver rifling. Is it normal to have a small deposit of "lead color" throughout the bore? My boolits are unsized and accuracy was better with the first load. What's a sure fire way to tell if what I'm seeing is leading? The rifle is new (only 40 shots through it)

docone31
02-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Me thinks the barrel is not broken in yet.
Fire it for a while. Keep checking at the end of the day for leading. The worst I have had is at the muzzle. Strings appeared.
Then slug the barrel to find actual sizeing.
Almost sounds like some paper patched loads might be in order.
Either that, or toss some jacketeds down the bore.

rob45
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
If you think it's leading, keep an eye on your group sizes and see if they're opening up really bad.
That's usually a very good indicator.

superior
02-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok guys..Will do. I bought some Leverevolutions along with the rifle and haven't fired any of them yet, so I'll go ahead and shoot a few, to see how they feel and to help break in the bore a little. Can you recommend a good way to get the lead out quickly ( if I do get leading) ?

docone31
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
To remove leading, I fire about 10jacketed rounds. I find it easier to remove copper from the bore than lead.
Chemicals!!!
Another fast way is to paper patch. Very effective.
The patches wipe the bore with each shot.

runfiverun
02-09-2010, 02:02 PM
a load with cream of wheat under the boolit will scrub a bore clean in a hurry.
if it ain't affecting accuracy and don't look like gobs of gunk in there i'd just shoot a few of the slower loads at the end of the session.

9.3X62AL
02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I usually run some jacketed bullets through a new barrel first, 100-300 of same. Smaller calibers get more redcoats during break-in than do the big bores.

I got in a hurry with an aftermarket Glock 23 barrel, and shot it brand-new with castings. There were some lead slivers in the rifling edges. I wrapped Chore-Boy copper pad cuttings around a played-out bore brush, and made short work of the lead deposits with Hoppe's and a bit of elbow grease.

My own thoughts (always dangerous......) are that barrels resemble cast iron frying pans in some ways. They require "seasoning", and a break-in period, and sometimes a little smoothing. I've taken the Storm Lake barrel out of the pistol, and left it wet with Hoppe's #9 for a week or so. Later today, I might run out and give both barrels 100 rounds of J-word bullets each, just for grins and drill.

02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I take it's a 45-70? Just get a muzzle guard and clean the gun from the muzzle with a tight patch on a correct-sized jag. Clean often. The streaks could be lead smear for sure. Not a lot to worry about. Clean often, oh I said that. Bad leading is normally lumps or large deposits left in the grooves up against the lands that can be visible in the bore and for sure you can feel it when running the patch thru the bore. Tight patches will reveal bad leading. As far as the thin lead smear, if that's what it is, consider copper jacketed bullets do the same thing but in thinner layers. Take the same look into the muzzle, at an angle using a bright light, after shooting jbullets. Presto... copper colored streaks. Not unusual. Clean often (oops, said that) particularly with a new bore if it was not lapped. Removing bad lead is a different thread/subject.

To clean a lever bore:
open action, turn upside down, place in cradle, use muzzle guard.

superior
02-11-2010, 04:51 AM
Thanks Guys...I shot 10 rounds loaded with 37 grains h4198extreme today, and my best group was less than 1 inch at 50 paces. When I got home , I pulled some tight patches through with no signs of leading. I still see silver lands, but I'm convinced that it's more like a uniform bore condition, similar to what a seasoned .22LR develops. In any case, the rifle seems to love this load. Recoil isn't punishing, but it let's me know I just shot something! I'll continue to monitor the accuracy while maintaning my current cleaning methods until it becomes necessary to change, if ever. Thanks again.

Captain*Kirk
02-18-2010, 12:08 AM
I see silver streaks in my muzzle !

Try a little Just For Men.:p

Kidding! I think all the guys were right on here....shooting paper-patched bullets will often polish the bore to a bright finish. If no lead is coming out of the bore wth tight patching and Hoppes, then what you're probably seeing is the bore losing some of whatever the factory coats it with.

Joneser
02-18-2010, 01:27 AM
i see silver streaks in my muzzle !

try a little just for men.:p

kidding! I think all the guys were right on here....shooting paper-patched bullets will often polish the bore to a bright finish. If no lead is coming out of the bore wth tight patching and hoppes, then what you're probably seeing is the bore losing some of whatever the factory coats it with.

lmao!