PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Liquid Alox

FallRun
06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Can anyone tell me the best way to apply liquid alox and approx. how moch you need?:confused:

Bucks Owin
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Can anyone tell me the best way to apply liquid alox and approx. how moch you need?:confused:

My method is to use a ziplock bag so you can sorta "massage" the lube onto all the boolits and see what you're doing...

It doesn't take much, a half teaspoon would do 50 boolits I'd say, maybe even less LLA...It's not critical in any way IMO, just wasteful if you use too much...

Lastly, I like to stand all the bullets up to dry as it kinda stays in the lube grooves better that way although it's a PITA....

Dennis

abunaitoo
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Mix the Alox with paint thinner, 50/50 works for me. Put it in a spray bottle. Stand the bullets up on a wax paper lined pan. Spray the bullets until all are covered. Let them dry and your done. You can respray again, but I've found one spray does just fine.

DLCTEX
06-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I just put them in a plastic bowl (the type butter or cool whip comes in) add a few drops of liquid lube, swirl in a circular motion, and add more if needed to coat the boolits, then stand them up on wax paper to dry using a large pair of tweezers.:Fire:

Flash
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, I have tried the sprayable mixture also. I use mineral spirits and a small cleaned Armour All bottle to mix mine in. It works wonders and is neater than the recomended method.

Pawpaw
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
It's messy as hell, anyway you go at it, but it works. I put up with the mess of LLA, just so I don't have to deal with lead.

imashooter2
06-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I use the swirl in a Cool Whip bowl method. I've used the same bowl for years. You need way less than you think (no really, even less than that). I have successfully lubed a bowl full by adding a tablespoon or so of mineral spirits and melting old deposits off the sides. The coating should be so thin you can barely see it coloring the lead. If it's too thick, they don't really dry and they are a sticky mess to work with.

I turn them out onto wax paper to dry and can't be bothered to stand them up or any similar gyrations.

44woody
06-12-2006, 11:53 PM
Fall run after you get the alox on your bullets which ever way you do it and let them dry and if they are still sticky I just put them in another tub and sprinkle babby pouder on them to take the stickey away or you can use poudered mica to do the same thing :castmine: 44woody

Bucks Owin
06-13-2006, 03:08 PM
BTW, forgot to mention, rather than thin LLA, I just heat it up and use "full strength". Couple of seconds in the micro will get it thin! (Careful not to melt the bottle!) For that matter, you can just hold the bottle under the hot water tap for a time.....

Dennis

PS. For boolits that are big enough to handle by the nose, "dipping" works good too. Just use a small container with LLA in it to the depth of the crimp groove, add LLA as needed. Room temp for "heavy" coat, warmed up for "thin" coat....
It'll make the boolits look a helluva lot better if that matters at all...(I'm one of the "nuttier" of gun nuts sometimes! :D )

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/IMAGE051.jpg

woody1
06-13-2006, 08:12 PM
I use the swirl in a Cool Whip bowl method. I've used the same bowl for years. You need way less than you think (no really, even less than that). I have successfully lubed a bowl full by adding a tablespoon or so of mineral spirits and melting old deposits off the sides. The coating should be so thin you can barely see it coloring the lead. If it's too thick, they don't really dry and they are a sticky mess to work with.

I turn them out onto wax paper to dry and can't be bothered to stand them up or any similar gyrations.
My method too except mine is a Blue Bonnet butter tub. Not quite so big as a Cool Whip bowl. Regards, Woody