PDA

View Full Version : lead for casting

DeadWood
02-09-2010, 03:58 AM
besides stick on WW where is everyone finding near pure lead to cast for there ML's?

Is 30-1 soft enough?

Can i cast RB's and conicals with clip on WW's? Any disadvantages?

I realize i want the softer lead to hunt with, but have to find a source locally or buy over the net.

thanks

rhbrink
02-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Pure lead works best for me for round ball shooting. If thats all you have try the 30:1 just don't cast up a whole bunch make a few and try, I think they'll be hard to load with a tight patch. Every barrel is different as is everyones accuracy wants and neads are different, if they work for you great. I never had much luck with WW's and muzzleloaders but never spent a lot of time with them either. If you do try them expect to go down on ball size and up on patch thickness, maybe the right combination of ball size, patch, powder, twist, lube, maybe consult with the local witch and moon phase get a zodiac reading and they'll work for you. Good luck and try to find some pure lead, best stuff going for round balls.

skullmount
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
besides stick on WW where is everyone finding near pure lead to cast for there ML's?

Ask everyone you know, ya never know who will say I have some in the corner of my garage.....
....years ago a guy that I worked with off and on showed up one day with some lead pipe.....
...the dump/recycle place we go to on occasion to get rid of landscape debris, I mentioned it to 1 of the yard guys and a few months later when I saw him again, I asked....he said "I knew that someone asked me to set aside the lead"...he had about 40 lbs stashed away for me, cost me all of a couple cups of coffee

DeadWood
02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
didn't know if my only option was buying ingots throught the mail other than being lucky enough to find scraps.

For those who have to buy through the mail where is the best place to purchase? have checked out Roto Metals, other's?

docone31
02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I use roof boots. They are pure lead, roofers toss them out, and cleaning off the shingles are not that tough.
I keep my "together" roof boots seperately from my wheel weight. Lately, as wheel weight has become harder and harder to attain, I blend them in with the existing wheel weight. I paper patch any way for wheel weight is too tough.
Talk to a bunch of roofers. Tell them you will pick them up even. Get to know them, bring some doughnuts, share lies, and get the lead.

rhbrink
02-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm sure that you have checked out the usual plumbers and salvage dealers how about people that do remodel jobs, sometimes they'll have some lead. To buy it through mail order will really cost plus shipping. How far are you from St Louis there use to be a large lead operation south by Herculaneum that smelted lead and also recycled lead use to be you could buy 99.9% pure recycled lead at market value but had to buy in large quanities like 1000 to 2000 lbs. Thinking about it you probably buy cast boolits from someone here or TOW cheaper than from a mail order place. Good luck.

mooman76
02-09-2010, 08:38 PM
If you are short on soft lead but can get other I would use the harder stuff for RBs and save the soft for conicals. The stick on WWs are typically soft lead. If you can find a place that does the stained glass windows, that lead is soft too. Range lead is usually softer that WWs but not dead soft but it depends on the type of lead bullets being fired.