PDA

View Full Version : Lee tumble lube 9mm grooves out of the case?

penguinchicken
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I searched for an answer to this one and came up blank.

I am using the lee 9mm 124gr tumble lube mold.

When I load these where I am right at the max OAL (my luger p-08 is picky about what it eats) one of the lube grooves is outside the case. Is this ok as long as I am under the OAL? Or do all the groves need to be in the case? It just looks weird to have a groove hanging out.

Forgive the noobness.

awaveritt
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
I load that same boolet and I seat to the first groove as seen in the cr%#ppy picture below. Feeds perfectly in my CZ75B

sqlbullet
02-08-2010, 06:53 PM
by max OAL length, I assume you are referring to SAAMI spec, not the COAL listed in your reloading manual. The COAL length can be exceeded, but you should not be shorter as it will increase pressure, perhaps dangerously.

penguinchicken
02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I am looking at the SAAMI overall length from the speer book. 1.169" If I set that length then one of the grooves is exposed, like I said it just looks weird to me. If I seat to where the groove is covered I am seeing 1.109 which according to the lee specs I have from the dies is too short for their recomended 5.3 of unique at 1.15.

I guess I don't understand the difference between COAL and the SAAMI spec, I am new and kind of stupid.

duhbob
02-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I think you have to throw the book away on this one. I have been loading 45ACP and 9mm (the same 4 groove profile LEE lube casting) and the top groove slightly shows, Maybe .003 inch.or so.
The book spec. would have the boolit hanging way out there . And they look wrong.(and the magazine/feeding ramp gets problematic)
I haven't had problems seating at approx. 1.095 , but a potential problem is factory "crimping". The die from Lee can make you crazy if you let it'
All over this forum folks are saying don't crimp; "just remove the flair" after the boolit is seated. Since this style of cartridge headspaces on the case mouth.
You gotta tinker with the crimp there is no lead at the front rim of the case to crimp to. Just trust the caliper or the mike , and leave the crimp at .001;plus or minus .001
In other words nothing!

Shiloh
02-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I assume they fit in the magazine. Is this correct?? If they do, they chamber, the action locks, and extract a loaded round, it should be fine. Does the boolit engrave when chambered??

That may be my only concern.

SHiloh

penguinchicken
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
They fit fine. My old luger is picky. Before I ever got into handloading I knew it would only cycle ceritan rounds. Most 9mm's are too short and they jam with every shot. The best function I have found is the Wold 115gr FMJ's and they are 1.156" I want to seat to this length because I know it works. If the groves hanging out is no big deal then I will just go with that. I am thinking about this way to much, I just need to go try some.
Thanks

duhbob
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Following the Lee die instruction sheet : OAL=1.142, the round scraped the bottom of the feed ramp and stopped at the "gap" on the way into the chamber area. Since there is literally an open space.

bohokii
02-08-2010, 07:57 PM
yea mine stand like that as long as they fit in the chamber its all good

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_6891.jpg