PDA

View Full Version : Lead fever?

kentuckycajun
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
OK fellas, I'm hooked...
Been doin a lot of research/reading lately and the more I delve into this subject, the more I can't wait to get my hands dirty. Love this site BTW - well laid out and most of my questions were answered already.
I've been searching for the last week and was getting kinda discouraged after only getting about 5# of stick-on WW & about 12# clip-ons (all free though). Met a guy through an ad who used to work for a local water dept (as did his dad), and he brought me a couple pieces he had layin around his dad's garage - said he might find more after he cleaned it better. I didn't know what to expect when he pulled these out of his trunk - 40# in all. He still knows people who work for the water dept & said he'll check for some more. He only wanted $10, but I was so happy to meet a prospective source I gave him $20 for it. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of lead to some of you on here processing 500+# at a time, but it feels like I've struck gold!!
Anybody have any idea just how "pure" this lead might be? And should I keep the ingots from this separate from the clip-on & stick-on?
And why didn't anybody warn me how ^#% addictive this is - haven't even poured my first batch yet!!! Goin huntin again tomorrow (well, today) to get as much as I can before my thermometer comes in & I fire up the ole crawfish cooker (that's what you Yanks call a turkey fryer) ;)

Edubya
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the forum KC.
I'd keep that new lead separate and use it as pure lead. You will probably want to mix it 50/50 with your clip-ons.
What kinda guns and calibers are we casting/loading for?
EW

kentuckycajun
02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
right now I'll just be casting 158g LSWC (.358) for my GP-100. I also ordered the 105g as I understand they can be sized to .356 & used for my .380. That's after I've got comfortable with the wheelgun first. Chompin at the bit to get started, but takin my time, as with reloading, for safety's sake.
Goin to check out some thrift stores for pewter today also

7of7
02-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I too have the dreaded Lead Fever... I must get more now... (that I have processed all the stuff I had...)
Must find some sources... too...

fredj338
02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, it's like treasure hunting after awhile. I would not be so generous w/ your money though. $20/40# is getting pretty pricey for scrap lead. Most stuff used in plumbing is near pure lead. Keep looking, but negotiate better. It only drives the prices up for everyone looking.

rob45
02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
I would not be so generous w/ your money though. $20/40# is getting pretty pricey for scrap lead. Keep looking, but negotiate better. It only drives the prices up for everyone looking.

If I have to buy, I keep an eye on local scrapyard pricing and use that as a measure.

BTW, welcome to the site, KC.

kentuckycajun
02-09-2010, 04:19 AM
Yeah, it's like treasure hunting after awhile. I would not be so generous w/ your money though. $20/40# is getting pretty pricey for scrap lead. Most stuff used in plumbing is near pure lead. Keep looking, but negotiate better. It only drives the prices up for everyone looking.

Understand your point completely, but you misunderstood mine. This new "contact" I made knows I won't pay that much all the time - he only wanted $10 - I offered him 20 because he was a nice fella. We met after church Sunday (different churches, but so what?) He had his wife & 2 girls w/him & after talkin awhile found out he was on disability & just tryin to make a few extra $$. He won't forget that I helped buy them Sunday dinner.

The biblical prophecy of "give to the Lord & he will multiply it tenfold" comes to mind here, because today I collected 200+# of WW and didn't pay a dime for any of it. *SCORE* Matter of fact, there were a couple of places that wanted $$ for their WW, but I said "No thanks". There are still plenty out there for free.

BTW, I captured a "wild" WW today, too! He wasn't that far from the shop, but he was makin a break for it & I got'im halfway across the parkin lot. Nice big shiny 4 oz!!
Praise the Lord & bless the Saints - WHODAT!!! (sorry, couldn't resist)

kentuckycajun
02-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Oh, and thanks for the welcoming wishes, everyone!!!

bbs70
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
From what I've learned here and from other sources, plumbing lead pipe is usually soft lead.
I keep my pipe lead, sheet lead, and ww lead seperate after making igots.
I mix 50/50 ww and soft lead for 45 Colt and 40 S&W, and have never had a leading problem.

I don't know if I'm the only one that does this or not, but if I find a solder joint on any of the lead pipes I sweat the solder off the pipe and put it aside.
I add a little of this when casting boolits to make a smoother pour.
Or, if I have more than I can use I put it on Ebay.

I'm not sure about addictive, but no lead is safe around me.
If I see it, I want it.

Understand your point completely, but you misunderstood mine. This new "contact" I made knows I won't pay that much all the time - he only wanted $10 - I offered him 20 because he was a nice fella. We met after church Sunday (different churches, but so what?) He had his wife & 2 girls w/him & after talkin awhile found out he was on disability & just tryin to make a few extra $$. He won't forget that I helped buy them Sunday dinner.

I know how you feel, its a great feeling when you know you helped make someones day a little brighter and put a smile on their face.:bigsmyl2:

kentuckycajun
02-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Unbelievable!! Went to about 20 different places today & only 2 of them had WW to give or would part with them...
but each one gave me an almost full 5 gal bucket!!

I now have right at 1/4 ton - aiming for the big "T" (2000#)

Netherwolf
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
...$20/40# is getting pretty pricey for scrap lead. ...Keep looking, but negotiate better. It only drives the prices up for everyone looking.

I wish someone had told that to the dimwit who ran the price of a bucket of WWs up from $20 to $40 around here. Tire shops around here think they're sitting on gold bullion now. Before Mr. Dimwit did his deed, the tire shops were happy with what the scrap yards were paying because they didn't have the spend their time & gas hauling the stuff off.

Netherwolf

WHITETAIL
02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
cajin, WElcome to the forum!
And yes finding lead can get under your skin.
As I have said before tell everybody you know
you will take any and all lead.[smilie=w:

Mntngoat
02-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I too am driving by every tire store i can think of wanting to ask if they need someone to take their lead off their hands.

deltaenterprizes
02-15-2010, 09:00 PM
The joints on lead pipe are 50/50 solder, I don't see any on your stuff. I have had lead fever since the early 1980s!

HORNET
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Check the parking lots of those tire stores, it's amazing how many wheel weights you can find laying there. Gives you a real warm & fuzzy feeling that yours are going to stay on after you get new tires....

doghawg
02-16-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one that does this or not, but if I find a solder joint on any of the lead pipes I sweat the solder off the pipe and put it aside.

I've been melting mine down separately too.

deltaenterprizes
02-16-2010, 03:37 PM

I've been melting mine down separately too.

That is what they look like! I have about 200# to do. That is what I started my bullet business with.

Echo
02-16-2010, 05:42 PM
And why didn't anybody warn me how ^#% addictive this is - haven't even poured my first batch yet!!! Goin huntin again tomorrow (well, today) to get as much as I can before my thermometer comes in & I fire up the ole crawfish cooker (that's what you Yanks call a turkey fryer) ;)

We called 'em crawdads on the other side of the Sabine river...