PDA

View Full Version : How do clean my new pot?

RaymondMillbrae
02-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Hey folks,

I recently purchased a new Lee Pro 4-20 pot, and I am itching to get started.

But I have a question...is there a specific way to clean out the lubrication/coating from the interior of the pot?

I am not sure what it is, so I am not sure what cleaner or cleaning method to use.

Should I just wipe it down with a rag? Should I spray it down with a degreaser, and then wipe it down with a rag? Should I fill it with water and dishwashing soap, and let it boil for a few minutes?

I know this sounds stupid, but I would like to hear your opinions, just to be on the safe side.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: I have found some useful information on cleaning the Lyman slug mold in other threads. But no info on prepping a new pot before use.

GP100man
02-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Plug it in outside preferably, with ingots .

It`s self cleanin , like my wifes cookin!!!

ebg3
02-08-2010, 08:25 AM
That's what I did, plugged it in and added lead. That cleaned it right up.:razz:

RaymondMillbrae
02-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Cool...thanks! ;)

I knew there was a whole routine for prepping new molds, but I was unsure if there was one for a new pot as well.

jr545
02-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Plug it in outside preferably, with ingots .

It`s self cleanin , like my wifes cookin!!!

:shock:

Ajax
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
i just loaded mine with lead and let go until hot. cleaned up nice.

Andy

Shiloh
02-08-2010, 04:08 PM
What GP100Man said. Plug it in, turn it on. you get the sweet smell of oil or corrosian inhibitor burning off. :bigsmyl2:

Shiloh

jsizemore
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM
That oil is is your complimentary first flux from Lee. When you stir, scrape the sides and bottom. When the lead gets low, there will be some yellow to brownish buildup on the sides. Don't run to the computer, it's normal. Add more ingots or unplug and let cool or unplug and immediately pour the alloy into an ingot mold. When it cools, use a permenant Sharpie to write the alloy makeup on the ingot. Clean the pot or wait till you cast again to flux and scrape. It will be fine. Don't worry.

hoosierlogger
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Cool...thanks! ;)

I knew there was a whole routine for prepping new molds, but I was unsure if there was one for a new pot as well.

Just dont go melting wheel weights in it or you will have to clean it.

GP100man
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Agreed hoosierlogger!!!!

It`s easier to flux & stir in the smeltin pot than the castin pot !!!!!

I had some 1# ingots given to me & they checked 12bhn & passed the mueritic acid test for zinc so I put em in the caster , WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! trash , dirt, rust everything but clean lead!!!!

It was so bad I removed the valve rod & the nozzle plugged up solid , had to pick up the unit & pour out the rest , I picked & torched the nozzle until I finally got it cleaned enuff to try a pot !!

The rest are going to the smeltin pot all 143 of em!!!!!

RaymondMillbrae
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Way ahead of yall.

I am setting-up a smelting pot for this very purpose.

I will only be using self-poured ingot lead in this casting pot.

Thanks again for the warning.