PDA

View Full Version : How do you aim your BPCR

giz189
02-08-2010, 02:37 AM
I am somewhat confused about long range sighting. I have seen folks shoot from prone with rifle on shoulder in a normal position and I have seen folks shoot when it looked like they had the buttstock of their rifle on the ground or under their arm. I am talking about watching posts on you tube or elsewhere. They all seem to be hitting their target. Which of these is the "best" form? I don't always believe what I see on you tube, so is shooting with stock somewhere other than on your shoulder acceptable or not. I have seen what happens to a fellow when he shoots his 7mm mag with scope mounted with the stock placed under his arm instead of his shoulder. It ain't a pretty sight and it will ruin a set of eyeglasses.:Fire:

NickSS
02-08-2010, 03:44 AM
When shooting at long distance with a BPCR from the prone position at some point of range your rear sight aperture gets higher than your neck can reach so the butt of your rifle has to be lowered so you can see through the sights. I have a relatively short neck so when fireing at 1000 yards I run out of neck to see the sights unless I drop the butt on the ground and at 1200 yards its is worse I had to dig a hole for the butt to rest in so that I could see through the sights. It only happens when you get to 1000 yards or so that the rifle is resting on the ground at least mine is.

Kenny Wasserburger
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
You see Gullo puting his fist on the mat and rifle butt resting on his fist, strictly illegal in NRA competition, its called grounding the rifle. Any time the rifle is not on the shoulder and is on the ground or a hole dug this is called grounding a rifle in NRA competition. Will Get you kicked off the line and disqualified.

Check the rule book, it is considered cheating.

KW
The Lunger

9.3X62AL
02-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a base plate and bipod might be in order, at times. :)

giz189
02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
You see Gullo puting his fist on the mat and rifle butt resting on his fist, strictly illegal in NRA competition, its called grounding the rifle. Any time the rifle is not on the shoulder and is on the ground or a hole dug this is called grounding a rifle in NRA competition. Will Get you kicked off the line and disqualified.

Check the rule book, it is considered cheating.

KW
The LungerCongrats on your good shooting , I just read about it the other day. How do you compensate or is it not a problem with the right sight staff out to 1100 to 1200 yds?

NickSS
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
The matches I shot were Canadian rules which differed from NRA rules Kenny. They were shot prone with a sling and shooting jacket. I use a long range tang sight on my Long Range Express model Shiloh. It has enough elevation to get on at 1200 with some to spare but not much.

Kenny Wasserburger
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Nick,

I was not aware that Canadian rules allowed Grounding the rifle. So that explains that.

I use a pretty high position in BPCR but a cheek piece is handy for the longer ranges, giz thanks,

Kenny