PDA

View Full Version : What kind of media????

abunaitoo
02-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I need to pick-up new media.
I've been using corn and walnut.
I like walnut better.
Two questions:
Which is better, big or small grit. Why????

mooman76
02-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I like the smaller grit. The larger grit will get stick in the smaller cases easier especially the primer pockets ans flash hole.

Calamity Jake
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I need to pick-up new media.
I've been using corn and walnut.
I like walnut better.
Two questions:
Which is better, big or small grit. Why????

I perfer walnut in the medium to small grit. It all cleans/shines about the same.
I get it at a local sand blasting supply in a 50# bag, about $25
lasts a LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG time.

Split the bag/cost with a reloading buddy and it will
last half as long[smilie=1:

Big Dave
02-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Been using corn cob meal, but it can be a real pain dumping small cal. cases. also have to check primer pockets. Does clean nice though.

EDK
02-09-2010, 10:38 PM
They salvaged out some corn cob grit at work....the contractor used it for fire clean up; kinda like sandblasting. I got three 50 pound bags FREE! Even sharing with others, I've got a lifetime supply. It is identical to what I had gotten from Midway.

If you occasionally get some really nasty range brass...or shoot black powder cartridges....get some of the ceramic media for those tasks also. The brass looks like new after using the ceramic.

:redneck::cbpour:

DollarBill
02-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Go to Wally World and go to the pet's section and get some Hartz corn cob pet litter. 10 lbs for 3 dollars something.

This is what I use and a couple quarter size drops of nu-finish car polish. Than I don't have big bags lying around but if that's what you want its cool.

Makes the brass shine. I punch out the primers after I tumble. Have never really found a primer pocket really that dirty. But that's me...
Best to all
$Bill

geargnasher
02-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Go to Wally World and go to the pet's section and get some Hartz corn cob pet litter. 10 lbs for 3 dollars something.

This is what I use and a couple quarter size drops of nu-finish car polish. Than I don't have big bags lying around but if that's what you want its cool.

Makes the brass shine. I punch out the primers after I tumble. Have never really found a primer pocket really that dirty. But that's me...
Best to all
$Bill

Thanks for the tip, $B. Petsmart might have just gotten fired. My wife uses it for our rat's bedding and I use it for the brass tumblers, so we use quite a bit of cob.

Gear

sabot_round
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Best to all
$Bill

I've heard of that combination before, I just never gave it a try.

canebreaker
02-12-2010, 08:18 PM
The pet bedding is fine for straight cases like pistol brass. A bit hard to get out of the swagged necked rifle brass. It does a good cleaning job for me.
Tufnut, pecan shells does good. Leave everything a bit on the red side.
Don't forget the dryer sheet.

Shiloh
02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Corn cob.

14/20 grit polishes to a high shine, does not get stuck in primer pockets or flash holes.
40lbs from Grainger, about $25

Shiloh

abunaitoo
02-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Funny thing about Grainger. They won't sell to you unless you have an account.
I even got one of their catalogs mailed to me.
When I went to the store, they wouldn't sell to me.
Checked out the pet stores near by. Not media.
Walmart and Kmart don't have either.
I guess I'll have to go to a sand blast supply shop.

buck1
02-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I hate to plug for them , but EVILbay is lots cheeper than the gunstore for basic media all sizes untreeted. I use Maguires cleaner wax liquid with a few paper towels ripped up. Works well to clean and lightly polish. Corncob or wallnut? I like what the cheepest one is! It all works pretty good.....Buck

mike in co
02-15-2010, 08:45 PM

set up an account.......
and pay the taxes like the stuff is for shop use.

it does not have to be a resale account

commercial brass polishing company

mike in co

Dakoma
02-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Bought some corn cob at Wally World the other day,may have to sift it or grind it up before useing it,kind of corse.In a pinch I found that you can throw the walnut media when it gets dirty in a old stocking(my wife dont know) and wash it out with Dawn Detergent in hot water ,spread out on a old towel over one of the heat vents to dry and it will look brand new again.While it is drying stir a bit of Kit Scratch Out in the little yellow bottle in with the media and let it dry.Worked for me in a pinch about 3 in the morning.Makes them shine real good.

jcwit
02-15-2010, 10:52 PM
set up an account.......
and pay the taxes like the stuff is for shop use.

it does not have to be a resale account

commercial brass polishing company

mike in co

Quote:
Originally Posted by abunaitoo

Try this it a retail outlet that drops ships Graingers products with free shipping

http://www.drillspot.com/

There you go, free shipping, great price, delivered right to your door, order the 20/40 grit size and no more pluged primer pockets or flash holes. What more do you want?

Shiloh
02-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Geez,

Thats why they called mine a courtesy sale. I do have a tax stamp though.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
07-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I ordered 40/20 corncob from Drillspot. $21 and free shipping to my door in a 40# box.

mtgrs737
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
I like the corn cobb media over the walnut media because the walnut media dust iriatates my sinuses.

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2010, 08:47 PM
I use corse corn for pistol cases and fine walnut for rifle. I buy them both at the feed store in bulk.

alamogunr
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I ordered 40/20 corncob from Drillspot. $21 and free shipping to my door in a 40# box.

I ordered the 40/20 several months ago. This stuff is almost dust. I'll use it up but I wish I had ordered the 14/20. It for sure won't get stuck in the flash holes.

John
W.TN

jcwit
07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
You don't like the 20/40? I ordered it by mistake and REALLY like it. Add a teaspoon or 2 of liquid auto polish to it. Most folks recommend Nu-Finish, but any cleaner polish will work, even paste is OK.

Like you say, no problem with flash holes.

alamogunr
07-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I'll try the auto polish next time. Can't hurt. May even cut the time I leave the brass in the vibrator. Usually I just leave it overnight but sometimes I forget it is running(it is out in the shop) and it will run for several extra hours. Hasn't burned up yet but no sense in tempting fate.

John
W.TN

jcwit
07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
Do not add a bunch of polish, usually a teaspoon or 2 is plenty, if using the liquid let it dry then run the tumbler to distribute. If you use the paste use approx 1/2 teaspoon and let it dry the crumble it up, it'll bust up once the brass is put in. Not only will it polish it covers the brass with a slight coating to prevent tarnishing.

mold maker
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Untreated Walnut (Lizzard bedding at PetCo) cuts the crud faster, but Corn Cob polishes better.
I use a 50/50 mix with a couple ts. full of Nu Finish and get the best of both worlds. A ripped up paper towel absorbs lots of the dust, and prolongs the useful media life.
The Nu Finish leaves just enough wax to retard finger prints and tarnish, for several years in proper storage.
Any really tarnished brass first gets a 15 min. bath in lemon juice, dawn, and hot water. I like clean guns and shiny brass. It's a pride thing.

2wheelDuke
07-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I must be the only one running store-bought tumbler media. I picked up a jug of Lyman Turbo media that was next to the tumbler at the store. Next time I'll probably get a bulk pack. I have to say though, the Lyman brand media seems to do a bit better than whatever Dad had in his tumbler.

Cowboy T
07-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I bought that Lyman Turbo media at first, too. Hey, it does the job, so I don't feel bad about it. Given that a tumbler-full of media lasts me well over a year with maybe one recharge, I wasn't upset. And that's after tumbling a lot of brass.

That's the beauty of these forums. For the future, I now know to go to Wal-Mart or Petsmart. :-)

randyrat
07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
I use corse corn for pistol cases and fine walnut for rifle. I buy them both at the feed store in bulk. CRACK CORN Yes i thought t was my own secret. I sift mine a little, if it is dusty. Most of the time it's clean cracked corn.

GARCIA
07-29-2010, 07:02 AM
What is the deal with the dryer sheets? You use them used or new from the box? I hate media dust!!!!!

GAR

alamogunr
07-29-2010, 09:00 AM
I save the used ones(and incur my wife's ridicule). They don't eliminate the dust but it does reduce it somewhat. I've never tried new ones. I'm too cheap for that.

John
W.TN

jimkim
07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
I use this. http://www.drillspot.com/products/521055/econoline_526040g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Media type: Corn cob
Size:0.0167" Min, 0.0393" Max
$22.01 including shipping

ricksplace
08-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I've been reloading for 40 years, and I never heard of putting a dryer sheet in the vibrator. Learn something new every day. Thanks guys!

cajun shooter
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Harbor Freight sells the ground up stuff for a cheap price in 50 lb bags I think. Go to ceramic and you will never buy media again. I have about 16 lbs that has been used weekly for the past 2 years and it still appers the same as the first day I used it.

Doby45
08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Corn cob.

14/20 grit polishes to a high shine, does not get stuck in primer pockets or flash holes.
40lbs from Grainger, about $25

Shiloh

Spoken for truth. I had always used pet store lizard litter and corn cob bedding mixed together. Then I finally went to Grainger and they added me a regular ole retail customer "courtesy" account and I left with my 40lb box/bag of 14/20 and I will never go back to a litter/bedding mixture. Just added a tad of NuFinish and my brass is crazy blingy..

sergeant69
08-09-2010, 10:44 AM
what WON'T get stuck in the flash holes, besides walnut?

sergeant69
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the tip, $B. Petsmart might have just gotten fired. My wife uses it for our rat's bedding and I use it for the brass tumblers, so we use quite a bit of cob.

Gear

i tried like hell not to, but i gotta ask. WHY do you have a RAT? for the creep value? does it keep the in laws away? u been in the hill country too long w/kinky. come on down and lets fish the flats by the refinery. A RAT?

1hole
08-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Most "media" dust is dried excess polish, most people use far too much of it. Any bits of loose, open weave material will trap the dust so it can be tossed. Used dryer sheets are just an easy to find material, Tee shirt scraps will work just as well.

Media really doesn't "wear out", it gets blacker and works slower because of the hard cake of dried excess polish. A couple of ounces of mineral spirits added to dried media polish from time to time will soften and "reactivate" it.

Nut or cob media makes very little real difference for cleaning the cases. Cob tends to put on a higher shine, if artifically glittery, plastic looking brass turns you on.

Fine media grits won't clog flash holes. Larger grits work slighly faster but again there's little real difference in effect.

alamogunr
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Most "media" dust is dried excess polish, most people use far too much of it.

I have never used polish or any other additive to my cleaning media. I still have a lot of dust. The walnut shell dust is most objectionable to me but the cob media also produces a lot of dust. I use the dryer sheets to get rid of some of the dust but it never gets rid of as much as I would like.

John
W.TN

Wally
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I have never used polish or any other additive to my cleaning media. I still have a lot of dust. The walnut shell dust is most objectionable to me but the cob media also produces a lot of dust. I use the dryer sheets to get rid of some of the dust but it never gets rid of as much as I would like.

John
W.TN

Add a small quanity of mineral spirits, paint thinner, or chocoal starter fluid to a 6" by 6" sheet of paper towel..enough to make it damp---it prevents the dust by collecting it. Change as often as needed. Seems to make the cases sparkle a bit better as well. That dust is dangerous as it is from the primer pocket residue & contains lead.

Kevin Rohrer
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I use whatever is cheap. I just bought 10lbs of corn cob media at a local gunshow for $8. Cheap is good.

mike in co
08-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I use whatever is cheap. I just bought 10lbs of corn cob media at a local gunshow for $8. Cheap is good.

four times 8 is 32 us dollars for 40 lbs.....

one fourty pound bag from grainger is 25 us dollars

now which is cheap and which is a rip off...

GetBulletsandBrass
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Another additive that you can use is Brasso from your local hardware store. This is a metal polish that doesn't have ammonia which will damage your brass. Pretty much any liquid metal polish will work, just as long as they don't have ammonia in them.

For the dryer sheets, I found that if you cut them down to 1x2 inch squares, they will collect dust and will not restrict your media flow.

My company currently makes a treated walnut media with a dry polish formula that doesn't stick to your brass or leave residue on the metal if you forget to retrieve them out of the tumbler.

Typically I run a medium coarse walnut media in my old rebuilt Frankford Arsenal tumbler for about 4 hours and the brass comes out looking good.

Trey45
08-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Brasso does in fact contain ammonia and will weaken brass cases with continued use.

jcwit
08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
In reality Brasso can be added to the media and allowed to dry, this allows the ammonia to evaporate, and will no longer harm the brass. If used in the liquid state it does in fact harm brass.

With this being said I'd just stick to whatever is left over in the garage in a liquid auto polish or liquid cleaner auto wax. I believe Nu-Finish comes to mind.

mike in co
08-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Another additive that you can use is Brasso from your local hardware store. This is a metal polish that doesn't have ammonia which will damage your brass. Pretty much any liquid metal polish will work, just as long as they don't have ammonia in them.

For the dryer sheets, I found that if you cut them down to 1x2 inch squares, they will collect dust and will not restrict your media flow.

My company currently makes a treated walnut media with a dry polish formula that doesn't stick to your brass or leave residue on the metal if you forget to retrieve them out of the tumbler.

Typically I run a medium coarse walnut media in my old rebuilt Frankford Arsenal tumbler for about 4 hours and the brass comes out looking good.

ok i try to ignore this but i cannot....

FOUR FREAKING HOURS!!!

try fine ground corn cob, with or without nufinish car polish...and in ONE HOUR your brass will look like new.

four hours.....jessssssssssssss
and you call that working ???...thats wasting.....time cannot be replaced...value your time.

(get a one hour timer...save electricity and your motor)

mike in co

jcwit
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
You're right Mike, but I often start mine when I go to bed and take care of the polished brass in the morning.

Another tip for those without a Graingers close by order it from Drill-Spot, same price and free shipping. I'm not positive but I think its a division of Graingers.

DLCTEX
08-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Drill Spot to my door in 4 days for $21. And 40 lbs. lasts even me a long time.

alamogunr
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
[QUOTE=jcwit;969332]You're right Mike, but I often start mine when I go to bed and take care of the polished brass in the morning.

Another tip for those without a Graingers close by order it from Drill-Spot, same price and free shipping. I'm not positive but I think its a division of Graingers.
QUOTE]

I start mine up when I leave the shop for the day. I try to remember to stop it early the next morning. Doesn't always work that way. I'll buy another Midway if I burn this one up. Cleaning brass is not my business and I'm not going to stand around and watch cases roll around in the vibrator. Besides it is somewhat noisy.
On a related note, I've had my Midway tumbler for about 10-12 years. From time to time someone post that theirs got hot and doesn't work anymore. The firs time I saw that, I got out a chassis punch and put some holes in the bottom cover for ventilation. Still working.

Order from Drill-Spot and it is shipped from the nearest Graingers. At least mine was. Don't know if they are owned by Graingers or not.

By the way, jcwit, I haven't gotten around to finding that Nu-Finish yet.

John
W.TN

jcwit
08-10-2010, 10:33 PM
All good things come from Wal-Mart. ROFLOL

Anyway check out the auto wax and polish section. Orange plastic bottle. Actually its a fair auto polish but I lean towards McGuiar's.

noylj
08-10-2010, 10:51 PM
You want 20/40 grit.
Walnut, for me, just generates too much dust and the dust packs into the case...but that is just me.

noylj
08-11-2010, 12:58 AM
1) Vibratory cleaners generate a LOT more dust than rotary.
2) Walnut dust, for me, would be no more than a clean-up issue. However, it packed into my brass. I cleaned a whole bunch of brass prior to a move and when I went to load the brass, I found it was caked with walnut dust. I had to hand scrape out about 5000 cases. Decided not to use vibratory cleaner (replaced with a Thumler) and not to use walnut. The corn cob and rotary produces hardly any dust and I use a piece of paper towel or T.P. any way.
3) I would consider the hazard of lead in the dust to be minimal (from what little primer ash gets removed), but, like all activities, it is to be performed in well-ventilated area and one never WANTS to breathe dust and fumes.
4) I don't need shiny, so I have never even considered additives. That costs money.
5) The media is cheap enough that I just chuck and add new. Why waste money on solvents to clean what has already performed yeoman service and simply needs to be retired with honor.
6) I never forget that the goal is not to see who has the shiniest cases but to remove the grit and dirt from the case exterior. I am amazed at the money and time spent to "clean" cases. I say change your media every 20,000 rounds or once a year or whenever the heck you feel like it.

mike in co
08-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Most "media" dust is dried excess polish, most people use far too much of it. Any bits of loose, open weave material will trap the dust so it can be tossed. Used dryer sheets are just an easy to find material, Tee shirt scraps will work just as well.

Media really doesn't "wear out", it gets blacker and works slower because of the hard cake of dried excess polish. A couple of ounces of mineral spirits added to dried media polish from time to time will soften and "reactivate" it.

Nut or cob media makes very little real difference for cleaning the cases. Cob tends to put on a higher shine, if artifically glittery, plastic looking brass turns you on.

Fine media grits won't clog flash holes. Larger grits work slighly faster but again there's little real difference in effect.

since i do this for a living , i will question some of what you say..

so why do we clean out fired brass...cause it is dirty from being fired, and what is the "dirty"....carbon..burn powder and such....so what you find in your media is carbon based dirt. none of my media is around long enough to dry out....dirt from the range, and carbon from the burn...not dried polish. the black is a combination of carbon and some sort of brass polish residue.........
rejuvenate my butt..its just cycling the hard carbon and dirt around to dull the finish on your brass. its cheap throw it out and start over.

the edges of the media do wear.....it will clean slower.
corn cob cleans better and quicker....been there done that. it there was a cheaper better process those in the brass business would be doing it/using it. corn cob is what is used in this business. you do what you want...you believe what you want..
large grit not only plugs holes it wil pack in bottle neck cases.
what is artificial about polished brass ? every ammo maker polishes thier product prior to sell to the public..it is a sign of a professional product.
ever go to a new car lot and have them try to sell you a dirty car ? no it dont happen.....
next

noylj
08-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Why would any one take the time to wash old media? Why would anybody wash old media where their clothes or dishes are washed? New media is not that expensive.
I prefer 20/40 grit corn cob. Small enough to do the job and not cake up or cause any problems with separating it from the brass. Very little dust.
Shipping will kill you, so find a local source (petsmart, feed and grain store, grit-blase supplier, log cabin builder, etc).
Walnut and other nut media can generate a lot of dust. Been there, done that, went back to corn cob.
I do not even think about additives to make my brass shiny. It's like polishing the toilet. Clean is all you need and any extra you do will vanish after you shoot it or leave it on the shelf for very long.

jcwit
08-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Shipping will kill you, so find a local source (petsmart, feed and grain store, grit-blase supplier, log cabin builder, etc).

Shipping well NOT, I repeat, NOT kill you. Google DrillSpot and order from them. A 40 lb. bag costs $20/25 bucks with free shipping encluded, thats as in "No Charge". This is the same media one would get from Graingers, I have a sneaking hunch Graingers and DrillSpot are the same company.

Mike has it correct in his above post. Just follow what he says and you'll be sucessful.

Doby45
08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I am tellin ya, after getting the 14/20 from Graingers like Mike said you could not drag me back to the **** I was using or anything else with a 20 mule team. The man knows his business. Period.

Shiloh
08-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Spoken for truth. I had always used pet store lizard litter and corn cob bedding mixed together. Then I finally went to Grainger and they added me a regular ole retail customer "courtesy" account and I left with my 40lb box/bag of 14/20 and I will never go back to a litter/bedding mixture. Just added a tad of NuFinish and my brass is crazy blingy..

40# will last you a LOONNNGGGG time. Grainger is silly if they turn down a sale.
The folks here said come back anytime. 14/20 and NuFinish is THE bright shiny brass combo!!

Shiloh

GetBulletsandBrass
08-23-2010, 03:28 PM
ok i try to ignore this but i cannot....

FOUR FREAKING HOURS!!!

try fine ground corn cob, with or without nufinish car polish...and in ONE HOUR your brass will look like new.

four hours.....jessssssssssssss
and you call that working ???...thats wasting.....time cannot be replaced...value your time.

(get a one hour timer...save electricity and your motor)

mike in co

I'm usually processing 3-5,000+ piece of brass at a time time in my rotatory tumbler my company's treated media (which we developed). This stuff leaves no residue, minimal to no dust. Corn cobb in my opinion doesn't do a good job at cutting through dirt. When you have to process as much brass as I do for a living, walnuts (in my opinion) beats corn cobb hands down. However, I don't expect everyone to fully agree with me on this.

The method I mentioned previously is for 500-600 pieces of brass using Brasso as the cleaning agent (the liquid agent must be run in media only for 30 mins to evaporate the ammonia) this is the same method I've used for over 10 years now and have been able to safely shoot and reload my brass without issues.

4 hours in my smaller vibratory tumbler seems to be my butter zone for getting the brass out as shiny and clean as I want it. The smaller tumbler I have is a factory reconditioned tumbler too, might have something to do with the time it takes to clean the brass.

pmeisel
08-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, at the recommendation of I forget who on this board, I decided to try something new.

Scattered the old walnut shells in the garden and filled the Lyman 1200 with about 5 or 6 pounds of rice.

It works good.

jcwit
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Don't plant vegies in that garden, the used walnut media contains lead. But do as you wish.

BillP
08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
My supply of walnut is about gone. I don't remember who (seems it was Dillion) it came from but the size works great and I want to buy the same size again. It's one size up from the finely ground stuff that looks like sand. Anyone know what numbers the small size media is and the next size up from that? My local cast bullet loader only sells the finely ground stuff so I may have to order some.

Thanks,
BP

GetBulletsandBrass
08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
BP, I typically see Fine, Medium, and coarse and extra course grades. There is a flour grade as well, but not commonly used for polishing brass cases. At my company we use medium size walnut (12/20 mesh).

mike in co
08-25-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm usually processing 3-5,000+ piece of brass at a time time in my rotatory tumbler my company's treated media (which we developed). This stuff leaves no residue, minimal to no dust. Corn cobb in my opinion doesn't do a good job at cutting through dirt. When you have to process as much brass as I do for a living, walnuts (in my opinion) beats corn cobb hands down. However, I don't expect everyone to fully agree with me on this.

The method I mentioned previously is for 500-600 pieces of brass using Brasso as the cleaning agent (the liquid agent must be run in media only for 30 mins to evaporate the ammonia) this is the same method I've used for over 10 years now and have been able to safely shoot and reload my brass without issues.

4 hours in my smaller vibratory tumbler seems to be my butter zone for getting the brass out as shiny and clean as I want it. The smaller tumbler I have is a factory reconditioned tumbler too, might have something to do with the time it takes to clean the brass.

if your companies walnut treated media is so good why doe it take FOUR HOURS IN A TUMBLER TO PRODUCE QUALITY SHINEY BRASS ?????

sorry but treated corn cob( as in nufinish car polish) cleans all my brass( less 223 outdoor brass which takes 2 hours) in JUST ONE HOUR >>>>> i typically do 1000 pc lots tho i can do up to 2000 pcs at a time.

YOU DID NOT MENTION HOW LONG IT TAKES TO DO THE 3500/500 PC LOTS IN WALNUT ??

i make my entire income from brass sales, both retail and wholesale. you are the first and only person in the brass business , i have met, that uses walnut.

what kind of machine are you using for th elarge lots ??

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY
(I THINK THE GARLIC HAS GOTTEN TO YOUR BRAIN...for those that do not know gilroy is the garlic capital ofcalifornia, the usa, maybe the world...you smell it thro out the entire area)

mike in co
08-26-2010, 12:54 PM

sir,
yesterday i picked up some outdoor range once fired 223/5.56 brass that had been cleaned and polished by a neW guy in the business. while this brass is cleaned it is not POLISHED. he used walnut....the surface of the brass is clean brass but has more of a blasted/burnished look than the polish created by corncob with nufinish. the brass was also coated with walnut dust, something my corncob does not do.
i went to your site. i was looking for pics of your brass. email me i have some questions.
thanks
mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

GetBulletsandBrass
08-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Mike, the large tumbler we have is a custom built rotatory tumbler. In the large tumbler it takes about 2-4 hours to polish up to 5,000 pieces of brass depending on how dirty they are. A large portion of our brass is once fired brass from our local law enforcement ranges so they come to us pretty dirty.

I agree that plain walnut shell does produce a burnished/blasted appears, however like corn cobb, an additive like nu finish, brasso, etc... will polish the metal to a high luster. The brass you picked up at the range, I'm assuming, was cleaned using untreated brass.

Several gunshops and local ammo manufactures (FFL06) I work with here in the state all use my treated walnut media without any issues or complaints to date. They're happy with walnut as it gets the job done.

The choice of media like most reloading equipment is subjective to the user and what they see in the product. I can't tell you how many times I've had clients get into heated and protracted arguments with each other over Dillion vs. RCBS, Winchester brass vs. Remington brass, and so on.

I've attached a picture of a load of rifle brass I pulled from our tumbler for all to see. This is how the brass looks after its been through our treated media.

http://www.getbulletsandbrass.com/images/Brass.jpg

Shoot me a PM if you have additional questions.

BillP
08-28-2010, 08:56 AM
The amount of time my small rotary tumber takes to clean my brass is 100% dependent on how full I load the barrel. If I load to the max it takes 2-3x as long as loading half full.