PDA

View Full Version : The continuing PP experiment

HammerMTB
02-07-2010, 11:11 PM
It's been a while since I posted my last experiment on PP loads in my 45-70.
The last round had me comparing lubed lead vs. PP here (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=69340)
This time I wanted to know what difference it would make to lube the paper for the PP boolit.
Now that I know I can shoot a very soft boo if PP'd, I wanted to develop the load for accuracy.
As it turns out, lube helped.
The loads of dry PP boos had an SD of ~59
The loads of lubed PP boos had an SD of ~27
So I have to conclude from this that lube aids in consistent neck tension.
Average vel was very close for the 2 loads, with dry paper being 20 FPS higher. So if anything, the lubed PP has lower pressure as well, but by so little, it may not be significant.
As a development process, it might be nice to catch some slugs and see what they look like, but based on what others have said, that may be a tall order.
Reports of complete penetration of a deer lengthwise, bone or no, are the norm.
My own experiments have 265 gr slugs @ 1000 FPS going 18"+ of water.
It makes you wonder how far a 340 gr slug @ 1500+FPS might penetrate, and if expansion is really necessary.
I need a really big bear to volunteer for the experiment.
Spring is not far away.... :bigsmyl2:

303Guy
02-08-2010, 01:04 AM
That's interesting, HammerMTB. I hadn't been lubing my patched boolits other than from the lube pad during lubing of the loaded cartridges (prolongs case life) simply because I wasn't sizing them. Now I am trying thicker paper and sizing and that requires wax lube. Straight away that shows something! Just for starters, I found I could seat a tighter PPCBoo if it was wax lubed. Then I found that if the PPCBoo was a little tight on the bore-ride section, the wax lubing would allow it to be chambered and extracted without pulling the boolit.

There may be more to it than just more consistant neck tension which i do agree with. That wax lube probably prevents the patch from slipping on the core because the friction between patch and core stays the same while friction between case neck and patch go down and likewise patch to steel in the throat.

pdawg_shooter
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
I load a 430gr PP @ 1850fps and have never managed to recover a bullet. Wonder why?

HammerMTB
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
I load a 430gr PP @ 1850fps and have never managed to recover a bullet. Wonder why?

But them pdawgs must have a hole thru 'em you could walk thru.... :lol:

I think I can catch one if I shoot it down into several feet of water. The question for me is, will that be representative of one fired thru meat? 8-)

pdawg_shooter
02-08-2010, 11:59 AM
I HAVE taken prairie dogs with this load, but it works mo-better on deer and hogs. Guess it would work on most anything in North America too.