PDA

View Full Version : Help me select a new hand cannon

plumber
02-07-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm looking to get a 44magnum, right now my biggest is a .357.

So far I'm looking at a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel and a S&W 629 with a 8 3/4" barrel. As of right now all my wheelguns are smiths, but I have no loyalty.
Any input would be appreciated.

If you select other in my poll, please post your opinion.

jhrosier
02-07-2010, 09:13 PM
You just can't beat a Ruger Super Blackhawk.
I have a flock of them in barrel lengths from 4-5/8 to 10-1/2".
The 4-5/8: stainless is probably my favorite.
http://images19.fotki.com/v359/photos/5/590147/2786028/RugerSuperBlackhawk-vi.jpg
This was a 240 gr RNFP @ 50'.

Jack

Ekalb2000
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
http://images19.fotki.com/v359/photos/5/590147/2786028/RugerSuperBlackhawk-vi.jpg

Jack

++1
Nothing like a single action.

plumber
02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm just not a fan of the grips on a single action.
That's why there are so many flavors!

exile
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I love my 629 Mountain Gun, but I really only shoot .44 Specials through it. If you are going to shoot magnums, get a longer barrel for sure.

exile

Angus
02-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I am a lover of my 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 41 mag. It's stupid reliable, and I can't imagine a way, even if I fed it a steady diet of barn-burner loads, that it could ever jump out of time. I made a set of grips that fill the hand more which help with controlling the recoil better. Just my .02... YMMV.

JesterGrin_1
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Since you do not mention what you are going to mainly use it for here is my little list lol.

S&W 629 as you can not really go wrong with a smith they have a decent trigger right out of the box and shoot well.

Ruger SuperBlackhawk Bisley hunter. The grips feels good and can handle most anything you can put through it and hit well. Most will need a bit of trigger work. But they are one heck of a pistol.

Ruger Redhawk is a bit lighter than the Super Redhawk but they are both fine pistols.

I have the Smith 629 Classic and the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag. Depending on what I am doing I may carry either but I like them both. The Ruger I use for loads that are a bit too hot or I feel a bit too hot that I would wish to put them through my Smith.

I am also a DA Fan and like the Grip and feel of the Bisley is as close as you can get with a Single Action and thus far I like it. :)

Heavy lead
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Wow, a might of a loaded question, but here's my take.
I have had 629's and 29's and they are great, however, I much prefer them (N frames) in other flavors, particuliarly the 625 (45 Colt and acp) and especially the 657. I also have a Redhawk, and I'll always have it as it was a gift from my dad, however they (the Redhawk) can be very picky and hard to get a good trigger out of. I would either choose the Super Redhawk, it will let you extract everything out of a 44 you can (power wise) and it's super tunable, and it sounds like you want a long barrel on it, it's available in a 7.5 and a 9.5, second would be a Ruger Bisley Hunter or Bisley blue 7.5, I've got the former, used to have the latter. I don't much like the plow handle on the Super Blackhawk (although I have two) and prefer the Smith and Wesson and Ruger Super Redhawk grip by far, the Bisley grip IMO is as good as these also, and have many Bisley single actions.
Good Luck and good shopping.

JesterGrin_1
02-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0051-1.jpg
After I got ahold of it lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0073.jpg
And the S&W 629 Classic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/629.jpg

plumber
02-07-2010, 09:57 PM
For the most part I'm just going to be plinking with it. One of these days I'll get back up north where I can hunt with a handgun. But target shooting is my current M.O.

JesterGrin_1
02-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Just pic the one you like best as to be honest I do not think you can go wrong with either a S&W or a Ruger :)

targetshootr
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
I'd get a 29-2, 4". You can take a short barrel gun anywhere, hunt with it, or target shoot with it.

bigboredad
02-08-2010, 01:30 AM
I'd go for the super redhawk in .454 and there are so easy to hit with its like cheating and you have the option to shoot mild .45 colt loads to wild .454 loads

KYCaster
02-08-2010, 01:33 AM
WOW.....that Blackhawk of Jack's sure is purty. And look at that little tiny group. I'm impressed.

But the thought of running a dozen mag loads through that gun makes me cringe. I'm not trying to be facetious here, I'm serious. Anybody who doesn't like the looks and feel of a single action just doesn't have a heart. My 32 mag Single Six will be one of the last guns I'll part with and I've shot the eyes out of a bunch of tree rats with a couple of SA's in 22RF, but when it comes to hard kicking cartridges I'll choose something else, thank you.

Of course you can get after market grips to tame the recoil and help keep your arthritic fingers from interrupting your sleep, but if asthetics mean anything at all to you that's not an option.

Even if appearance is way up on your priority list, you're certainly not limited to an SA. How many here can claim they don't like the looks of a 4" S&W M29? Every bit as accurate as your Ruger and you can customize it with after market grips that actually enhance the look and feel of the gun.(just get rid of that gawd-awful Red Ramp and put a decent front sight on it.)

If utility is more important than looks then Ruger's SRH or Smith's 629 with the full underlug barrel in 6 or 8 3/8" will help reduce the punishment from full house loads and both are capable of very fine accuracy.

Bottom line is....nobody can choose the right gun for you. That's like letting somebody else pick your wife....I sure wouldn't want to go there. :roll:

Good luck, and have fun with your search.

Jerry

dubber123
02-08-2010, 01:45 AM
Of course you can get after market grips to tame the recoil and help keep your arthritic fingers from interrupting your sleep, but if asthetics mean anything at all to you that's not an option.

Even if appearance is way up on your priority list, you're certainly not limited to an SA. How many here can claim they don't like the looks of a 4" S&W M29? Every bit as accurate as your Ruger and you can customize it with after market grips that actually enhance the look and feel of the gun.(just get rid of that gawd-awful Red Ramp and put a decent front sight on it.)

Jerry

Hey, I think we share some real similar thoughts.... Especially about red ramps... :drinks:

jhrosier
02-08-2010, 07:02 AM
WOW.....that Blackhawk of Jack's sure is purty. And look at that little tiny group. I'm impressed.

But the thought of running a dozen mag loads through that gun makes me cringe. I'm not trying to be facetious here, I'm serious. .......

Bottom line is....nobody can choose the right gun for you. That's like letting somebody else pick your wife....I sure wouldn't want to go there. :roll:....

My "other gun" is a 5-1/2" Redhawk. The SBH is way more user friendly, for me.

I agree completely that each person has to choose what's right for them. Otherwise we wouldn't have such a variety to pick from.

I heard of a fellow who claimed that he would rather have a homely wife than a pretty one.
When asked why, he replied that if she ran off, he wouldn't feel as bad.:groner:

Jack

Geraldo
02-08-2010, 10:08 AM
.44s are like Lays potato chips, you can't own just one, so I see your poll as what you want to start with, not the end-all of .44 revolvers. For a starter .44 the 629 will do well enough.

Plan on adding something with a short barrel for ease of carry and something that can withstand the heavy handloads you're sure to want to try, plus a few others to experiment with along the way.

LAH
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
For the most part I'm just going to be plinking with it. One of these days I'll get back up north where I can hunt with a handgun. But target shooting is my current M.O.

Buy the S&W. It's a great plinker & hunter.......................Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

kbstenberg
02-08-2010, 10:23 AM
I just recently got my first pistol. Its intended use was hunting. Its a R.H. after shooting it an carrying it for deer. I realized its just too heavy for bumming with. Told the wife the other day. That I'm thinking about getting a lighter gun just for carry. You can about tell what she thought about that. One is enough, You dint have to carry a gun wherever you go
When i was looking at pistols i liked the look an feel of the Smiths. But i just couldn't justify the added expense over the Rugers.
An NO OFFENSE to the single action Guyes. I just cant see how the grip they have can be comfortable
Kevin

44man
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Jack
I agree, but how about 100 yards instead of 50 feet?

Trey45
02-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Well, you didn't ask about 45 Colt but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents anyhow. Have you considered a Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt? The 4" is the perfect carry size with the right holster. It's strong enough to load up to surpass 44 mag performance, it's accurate, it's reliable, and aside from all that, it's a purdy gun too!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Redhawkinred.jpg
And! You can shoot these!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/NEI310closeup.jpg
Yes I'm partial to the 45, it can do it all.

44man
02-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Then 50 yards with the RD boolit. I shot the can at 100 , was hitting low so aimed higher for the last shot.
The S&W is actually more accurate then this, capable of 1/2" at 50 meters but will be harmed with real heavy boolits. The SRH is more accurate and can shoot 1/2" at 50 yards. The RH is touchy. The SRH hunter can reach 1/2" at 50 yards.
ALL of the guns the fellas tell you about will shoot, many good suggestions and it is just going to depend on what you like and what feels good to you.
This is PERSONAL, so just get what you like best, .41, .44, .45, all good, but gun fit to YOU is what counts.

Bass Ackward
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I sympathize. Been working on this decision off and on for 50 years.

9.3X62AL
02-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I voted S&W, but that's not a strong preference. The S&W is a bit easier to carry due to its lighter weight, but that trade-off makes it bite a bit with 240 grainers over 1200 FPS. Lyman #429421s at 1100-1200 FPS are docile in my Redhawk. Now, the R-hawk's weight makes me conflicted between holster carry or a sling strap, but it does manage recoil well.

2shot
02-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I had a Redhawk 44 and dumped it, way too heavy and not as accurate as my 629.. I kept my 629 6 1/2". In my area it seems like if I want to sell a gun that there is always a market for S&W and people are willing to pay a descent price for them unlike the Rugers that I would have to just about give away to sell it. Not many people want Rugers in 44 mag around my parts.

My vote S&W

plumber
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM
As I don't plan to carry this, I think the weight may not be an issue. I plan on hunting paper and water jugs. It seems the weight of the ruger would make it more manageable.

44man
02-08-2010, 04:35 PM
As I don't plan to carry this, I think the weight may not be an issue. I plan on hunting paper and water jugs. It seems the weight of the ruger would make it more manageable.
I would get the Ruger Hunter in 7-1/2" barrel since you will not carry it. I don't like the Bisley, it is harder to shoot groups with and hurts my knuckle so again, it is how the gun feels to you.
The extra weight of the hunter will make it more pleasant to shoot.
The lighter the gun and the shorter the barrel, the harder it is to shoot. The .44 CAN recoil pretty hard.
Another good choice would be S&W with an 8-3/8" barrel. A little shorter is not bad either. Then the SRH is a super gun too. I would go 10" with it. Very nice to shoot and very accurate.
Each of these is also a perfect primary hunting revolver too. Those that need a back up gun or a carry gun need lighter and smaller, not pleasant to shoot all the time.
Pick the weight of gun that you can enjoy all day and with light loads they are even more fun.

Bucks Owin
02-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I agree, but how about 100 yards instead of 50 feet? Beautiful accuracy 44man! How about some varmit shooting at 140 yards :bigsmyl2: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/12db6a09.jpg Gotta love a SA Ruger

Blammer
02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
if you plan on hunting with it make sure you check the regulations for handguns. Some states a min barrel length is required.

plumber
02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Ended up getting a sweet deal on the Smith. So I bought the 629 with a 8 3/4 barrel, I can't wait untill next Wednesday when I can pick it up!

warf73
02-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Ended up getting a sweet deal on the Smith. So I bought the 629 with a 8 3/4 barrel, I can't wait untill next Wednesday when I can pick it up!

Grats on your new 629

rond
02-09-2010, 10:21 AM
4 7/8 Stainless Super Blackhawk is my favorite 44, it just feels right to me.

2shot
02-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Can't go wrong with that choice! You'll love it!

Whitworth
02-12-2010, 12:21 AM

Can't go wrong with the 629!

Groo
02-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Groo here
As you will be hunting the most unforgiving game [paper]
how about a real HANDCANNON ...Contact JD at SSK for one The cal starts at 35 and the
case is at least 444 marlin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
personaly i dont like barrels that long. I think most people would be much better suited to a 6 inch da or a 5.5 inch single action.

kingstrider
02-15-2010, 10:26 PM

If a Blackhawk is out of the running then the Redhawk or 629 should fit the bill nicely. I have a prelock 629 with the ported 6-1/2" barrel and it is one of my favorite 44s. Its loud though, if you forget to put muffs on you'll remember it for a few days.

BOOM BOOM
02-16-2010, 08:25 PM
HI,
Have shot several of the S&W 44mags. tend to beat the web of the thumb.
Ruger SBH are great. Wish I still Had one.
Love my Ruger Redhawk, that I traded the SBH in for.
Have shot the Colt (andaconda?), NICE but too expensive.
Have shot the Lama Comanche, not in same class as the above guns.

buckweet
02-17-2010, 09:05 PM
contender .44 . ream er' out to .444

now ya gots something !!!

waco
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
i like the blackhawks

wallenba
02-17-2010, 10:09 PM

I have a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 44 Magnum and the grip is a much better feel and hold than the other style, especially if you have big hands like me. The downside is nobody makes a soft grip for it. Aside from that I would lean toward the 629.

stubshaft
02-19-2010, 03:13 AM
++1
Nothing like a single action.

+++1
They just have a certain "feel".

Snobal
02-21-2010, 06:55 PM
My favorite is old S&W revolvers because of their super smooth actions.

But I only recommend them for folks that don't shoot competition.

If someone is going to actually shoot a gun (as in many thousands of rounds), my vote is for a Ruger -- either single- or double-action --- and polish it out to suit yourself.

Yes, comparing a S&W to a Ruger is like comparing a race car to a tractor, but that old tractor will still be running when our grand kids are old.

I "wore out" a S&W (the second time I had to have it rebuilt --- I sold it), but I have never been able to wear out a Ruger --- they just get better with age.:bigsmyl2:

JMHO - YRMV

rugerman1
02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
...but I have never been able to wear out a Ruger --- they just get better with age.:bigsmyl2:

JMHO - YRMV

Just like RugerMEN! :mrgreen:

Artful
02-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I have a Redhawk and Smith 29 - between the two the Redhawk is the toughest but also heavy enough it's nick name is the horse pistol - 'cuz you want a draft animal to carry it in the woods.

Centauro97
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I have one of each. There is enough difference in the grip angle that I really don't like shooting the Redhawk anymore.

I've tried three different types of grips and none seem to change the angle of the recoil. BTW I have a Smith 460 and 500 so it's not recoil, it's the vector of the recoil that's a problem.

Probably just me, but shoot each if you can before deciding.

They each have their pros and cons.

Some of my favorites are Blackhawks in 45 Colt. There's some pretty stout 45 Colt +P loads that'll give the 44 Mag a run for the money.

C97

Rather-B-Huntin
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Two words:

FREEDOM ARMS

Whitworth
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Three letters: B F R :bigsmyl2:

healey55
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
I have two redhawks and a superblackhawk and a Dan Wesson with 4 and 8" barrels.

I have owned smiths in the old model 29 but have given up on em since I shoot em loose. I don't shoot so much now so they might work out.

The redhawks are good guns. The one I like the most is one I had cut to 4" and added stag grips. I have big hands but not fleshy ones and like thick grips.

The Dan Wesson is the most accurate 44 I have ever owned but is bigger than the redhawk even. The thing lets off at less than 2 lbs single action. It is the only 44 I have ever shot a less than 1" group at 25 yards with open sights with tho.

smkummer
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
The plow handle of any single action including the SBH gets old after awhile of magnum loads. The smith 29, Ruger double action (including Bisleys) and Colt anaconda handle recoil so much nicer. I love the 45 Colt also but it will take more work to get it to shoot as accurate as either the 44 special or 44 magnum. Also the 45 Colt doesn't have a wide enough rim for 100% extraction from a double action revolver. I currectly own a 7 1/2 ruger SBH and a Colt anaconda 45 6 in.

buckweet
02-27-2010, 02:41 AM
how about a contender , ? thompson center , in .444 marlin...

now theres a thumper !!!!

Daddyfixit
03-02-2010, 02:59 AM
I have two redhawks and a superblackhawk and a Dan Wesson with 4 and 8" barrels.

The Dan Wesson is the most accurate 44 I have ever owned but is bigger than the redhawk even. The thing lets off at less than 2 lbs single action. It is the only 44 I have ever shot a less than 1" group at 25 yards with open sights with tho.

+1 on the Dan Wesson..If I could only have one this would be it!

missionary5155
03-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Good morning
Why not just start out with the BEST and most versitile.
Get a Dan Wesson ! You can change your barrel length in 2 minutes. You can have a scope already mounted on a shroud of the same barrel length.
Accuracy... Steel shooters have won near all the matches for years with a Dan Wesson. This to me IS the real test.. Thousands of accurate HIGH pressure rounds and my Dan´s keep chugging right along.
Strength... few other revolvers that cost 3x can match the strength.
Now you can be like some and have to buy 10 different revolvers ($5500 ++) to have 10 different barrel configurations or you can buy a Dan Wesson and have 10 barrels that quick change for well under that . Probably less than $3000 in today´s money. Carry it all in a nice looking briefcase to boot.
I have no regrets owning each one I do own.

healey55
03-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I really do like the Dan Wesson and got it used for a good price. The problem... well.. not a "problem" is that it is a heavy barrel stainless gun and I got two barrels with it.

A 4" and an 8". The 8 is too long for me mostly. The four is nice but I have a redhawk in 4"

I would like a 6" for it or even a 5" if they make one. Where do I find one? and.. are you guys worried about getting parts for your guns?

Also.. it is neat to be able to change barrels but.. the rear sight stays on the gun. you need to sight it in again every time.

10 ga
03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Get one of those big ass autos, like a Desert Eagle or some such. In a .50. Now that's a BIG pistola. 10 ga

dualsport
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Redhawk. Never heard of one breaking, hell for stout.

healey55
03-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Redhawk and Superblackhawk are hell for stout. I have had failures in both types tho.

One.. the SBH.. was a shattered transfer bar after what had to be 50,000 44 mag loads through it.. It simply work hardened and shattered.. the ejector rod screw sheared off a couple times too. No big deal.

Redhawk... this was interesting. The bushing for the firing pin cratered so that the firing pin would not spring back.. tied up the gun if you pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

Neither failure would make the guns inoperable in an emergency.. I took a strip of beer can and stuffed it in the SBH to prove the point to my brother at the time.

The RH failure didn't matter so long as you didn't let the hammer down on an empty chamber. You could drive the pin back flush if you did tho. I completed 50 rounds of chrono testing with that gun that day.

Fishslayer
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Of the Redhawk or 629 I would definitely go S&W.

But I posted "other" because my choice would be a pre-1980 P&R M29. It's actually on my list to buy. Just something about the old S&W.

Saw a 29 the other day in nickel with the 8 3/4" barrel.

"My. That's a big one." :)

Viper225
03-08-2010, 10:25 PM
After the vote I see your use is shooting paper and jugs. Considering you are on the cast bullet forum, you plan to reload for it. Shooting paper using light loads I would go with a 29 or 629. A S&W is sweet.

Now for Serious Hunting and a scope for sighting my vote changes completely. Super Red Hawk, or Super Black Hawk Hunter.

Open sight shooting with lots of hot loads, the Red Hawk will hang together.

I have owned several 29's and 629's over the years and really like them with light loads. My hunting Revolver is a Super Red Hawk.