PDA

View Full Version : Different points of impact with 1894c

Jack Stanley
02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
No that I fool around with the carbine a lot other than finding a load that works and using it . Currently I'm using the LBT 185 LFN in both thirty-eight and the three fifty-seven loads . The first using Universal clays and the magnum uses AA#9 , oddly they both hit the same point of aim from twenty five to forty or so yards .

Here comes the "problem" , I found a few magnum cases and have some Lyman Cowboy bullets ( the heavier ones ) . The thing is they hit lower than the load I'm sighted for and I don't care to change the sights to use up this box of bullets . Loading with Universal Clays grouped OK but low left , loads with Blue Dot was a little higher and better centered .

So , I'm starting to think if I put a little more velocitiy into these bullets they may hit the same point as the heavy LBT slug . I'm sure someone else has bumped into this before so what do you think ? , maybe give it a bump with thirteen grains of 2400 ?

Jack

NHlever
02-07-2010, 09:46 PM
The .357's seem to be more sensitive to this issue than the larger calibers. In my guns sometimes even boolits of the same weight, but different design have a different point of impact. Fortunately, the one I like the most is the least sensitive.

ReloaderFred
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Generally, a lighter bullet will impact lower than a heavier one, which is particularly true in the .357 Magnum. You can alter the powder charges and get them close, but it's hard to come up with a load that will impact both light and heavy bullets to the same point of aim.

Hope this helps.

Fred

RobS
02-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Slower powders burn further down the barrel and keep pushing the bullet as it travels towards the muzzle therefore you end up with a longer recoil reaction which creates more muzzel lift. Fast powders accelerate the bullet right out of the gate and then pressures drop off very quickly making for a short recoil reaction so there is not as much muzzle lift. That is why you are having groups as you see them regarding the two different bullet weights and the slower powder.

RobS
02-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Generally, a lighter bullet will impact lower than a heavier one, which is particularly true in the .357 Magnum.

Fred:

This is true in revolvers although in a rifle it is the opposite, at least in my experiences.

ReloaderFred
02-08-2010, 09:51 PM
My experience has been that heavier bullets in rifles impact higher than lighter bullets, the same as pistols, with equivalent loads. I've proven this over and over again in rifles from .223 through .45-120 Sharps, over 47 years of reloading and shooting.

But I have to admit that almost all of my shooting has been west of the Continental Divide, except for a couple of elk hunts in Colorado and a moose hunt in Northern Alberta. Maybe there's a difference shooting in the heartland............. (that's a joke, son)

Hope this helps.

Fred

Jack Stanley
02-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Perhaps before I shelve the idea of using the lighter bullets . I'll try and give it a kick in the pants with some 2400 , I do have a can of 296 I need to use up if anyone thinks that will help .

Jack

EDK
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
IF you are serious about rifle accuracy, find "the one good load" and stick with it for your gun. You can use the "generic loads" in both rifle and hand gun....I do for Cowboy Action Shooting, but that's a short range proposition.

What's your opinion about AA#9 in a 357 rifle? I'm looking at it for developing some "rifle specific" loads with the NOE 360 180 WFN GC. The PB has been accurate in assorted VAQUEROS and MARLIN Cowboy rifles with TITEGROUP, but no testing over 50 yards for the rifles. I want to try some and then get an 8 pound keg at GRAFS if it works for me.

:cbpour::redneck:

felix
02-08-2010, 11:16 PM
AA9 is ideal. I use my fastest lot of WC820 which is maybe half grain slower in 357 than 2400. AA9 can be started at 12 grains with a 180. I would stop when a half grain gained no more velocity. ... felix

Jack Stanley
02-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I like the Accurate Arms number nine , I use it throwning my LBT 185 slug and it works better than 296 which is why I have a leftover can .

I found this big box of lighter slugs and while using them up I wanted to try and learn something along the way .

Jack

beagle
02-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I've settled on a "standard" load for mine with the 358439 HP loaded to .38-44 levels in .38 Special cases in mine and keep around a thousand rounds loaded at all times and don't mess with the sights.

A coarse bead gives me "minute of popcan" at 50 yards and a fine bead works on pop cans at 100 yards. After that it's kentucky elevation.

Now, this is with irons./beagle

Jack Stanley
02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I've got a standard load for the thirty-eight case using some Universal and the LBT without the gas check . It groups really well at thirty yards and as far as general use they do well at double that as long as I pay attention to the front sight .

Cayoot bought the carbine that I had set up to use the three fifty-seven loads that grouped even better . That load used Accurate Arms number nine and the LBT with a gas check . That load would do as well as the sight would let me ..... now that I have Skinner sights on this carbine perhaps I oughta break out one of the ammo cans .

Loaded ammo ? Oh yeah I got that , but c'mon guys . How many of you can tolerate seeing bullets lubed and sized , empty cases , powder and primers laying around and now try to put something together with them ? All of my W-W three fifty seven cases are full and I found about three hundred assorted Federal and Remington empty . I had to do something , if I don't use up the sized and lubed I won't be able to empty the bins of unsized bullets which means I won't have empty storage bins which means that I won't be able to cast bullets to fill the bins .

................... I can't imagine any of you fellas standing in the way of a fellow addict getting his fix :-P

Jack ;)

leadman
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I feel lucky. My 3" J frame and my 1894C both shoot the Lee 158gr. RFN with 3.5 grs. AA#2 very well. No leading in either gun. That RFN really puts the hurt on small game and coyotes.