PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 284 Win in a Win Model 100

garandsrus
02-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi,

Is there a specific range of powders that I need to use for reloading this cartridge in the semi-auto Winchester Model 100? The Sierra manual didn't mention any restrictions, but since this is a gas operated rifle I wanted to make sure. I will be loading mostly jacketed bullets right now and of course will be using the powders and loads listed in the manual.

Thanks,
John

Uncle R.
02-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Hi John:
You model 100 in .284 is a rare duck - and the collectors around here go nuts for 'em. I can't answer your load data question but have you considered retiring the gun as a collectible and shooting something else? I don't now the cause but I HAVE seen model 100s with broken carrier ("Slide?") assemblies and it would obviously devalue your rifle if anything broke on it.
Just a thought...
Good luck!
Uncle R.

runfiverun
02-08-2010, 12:36 AM
i stuck with 4895 in my 100 in 308 and have never had a problem.
they made it for the [0-6] garand and used it in the [308] m-14.
so i went with when they built the rifles and the fact it's a semi.
and went with the h-4895.

garandsrus
02-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Uncle R,

Thanks for the note... The gun is not mine, it belongs to a friend and is his only rifle. He doesn't shoot much but with the price of factory loads, I am showing him how to reload. His rifle has less than 100 rounds through it. I did tell him that the rifle is pretty collectible, especially in the .284 caliber. He thinks it dates to early 70' but doesn't remember if he bought it new or used. I will look up the serial number with him when he is here.

I am trying to do some research on any special powder needs for the gas system but haven't come up with much. I am familiar with reloading for the Garand and AR15, so was wondering if there is something similar for the Model 100.

I also found out that there is a recall on the Model 100 to replace the firing pin. It can break and jam in the "fire" position, causing the next round to fire out of battery.

runfiverun - I was thinking the same thing for the same reason, stick with 4895!

John