PDA

View Full Version : New gun here!

BCall
02-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, it was a bit unexpected, but I have bought my first Blackhawk. I was watching an auction, put in a modest bid, never expected to win. I figured I would be out bid by a fair margin, BUT, I wasn't. Arrived today, in the box, A Buckeye special 38-40/10mm convertible. Don't have any pictures yet, but it is mint. Never looks to have been fired. I can't belive nobody out bid me.

Anyway, I have a mold here that I wasn't sure what to do with, now it might have a purpose. It is a 401-230 grain SWC. It is a custom Lee mold, and I assume it was made for this purpose, a 10mm revolver. I cannot however find any kind of data for a boolit that heavy. Anybody have any advice for where to start? As soon as I find some brass I should be ready to roll! Thanks, Billy

ReloaderFred
02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
You'll never find data for that bullet, or even for that revolver. Your only course of action is to send that worthless thing to me and I'll work up some loads and get it back to you when they read my will.................

Nice catch, though. I've been looking for one that didn't require my first born relocating to the residence of the seller......

Fred

kingstrider
02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
I have no experience with loads for your gun but you should be able to put something together. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the gun? I saw one at a gun show a little while back with the box etc and the guy was firm on $450. I wound up going with a stainless .45 convertible instead but wish I had one like yours too.

Bass Ackward
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Bill,

If you don't get sufficent information to suit you and want to go offline with the PM route, I can get some data from you and use Quickload. Both the 38-40 and 10MM are available.

exile
02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice gun, I'm sure. Post pictures if you get a chance. I just bought a .41 magnum, I wonder how the two would compare.

exile

Firebricker
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
There's an article on .38-40 in handloader #264 Feb 2010 by Mike V. The heaviest bullet listed is RCBS 195gr in the load table but lot's of good info on .30 WCF.
FB

BCall
02-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys. Bass ackward, I'll send you a PM, I'd appreciate any help I can get. Here are the pics. I was surprised at the condition. Not a mark on it, very faint lines on the cylinders even. Was still covered in factory oil. The one pic looks like there is rust on the cylinder pin, but there isn't. It is discolored there, the only flaw I can find, but no rust. Lighting for the picture must have made it look funny. Grips are a bit proud of the metal. A better fitting set would be nice. Trigger is decent. Fairly light, but has a bit of creep. I'm pleased, it was delivered for under $500 for what appears to be a new gun. I can find no evidence of it ever being fired.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850682.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850684.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850686.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850687.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN850688.jpg

I'm not a great photographer as you can see, but I'm pleased with the buy. Not a great deal, but I surely didn't think that I would win it at that price judging by the prices going for other guns that day. I saw the article in Handloader on the 38 WCF, but have not had a chance to read it. Guess I'll have to get to it. Thanks, Billy

runfiverun
02-08-2010, 12:30 AM
a 10mm nice.
have a pair of 38-40---40's, but a 10mm nice.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi, I have the same gun, mint and recently acquired. I cast and load for it and produce good quality ammo that shoots and groups accurately at 25 and 50 yards. There are excellent sources for loading data that is readily findable on the internet. The articles related thereto are titled; "Taffin tests the 38-40", "M.D. Smith's Reloading 38-40 Page", "The 38-40 Winchester (38-40 WCF) by Chuck Hawks", and "Reloading the 38-40 Winchester" a reprint of an article done by Guns & Ammo. All discuss at length powder choices, bullet choices-either lead or jacketed, chronograph tests, velocities, and recommendations. Specifics deal with the Buckeye Ruger. Since I was loading the 38-40 for my 73 Winchester.. I already had the mold (LYman # 401043) a 175 grain design for the original cartridge. Lee, Saeco, RCBS and Lyman all produce molds that vary in weight and design from 170 to 200 grains. My gun, as did yours, came with a 10 MM cylinder. 38-40 and 10MM both use the same diameter bullets... .401. Rather than have the extra cylinder around doing nothing, I ordered 500 cases directly from Starline. They have a good reputation for dependable brass and it is cheaper than fooling around with the various middlemen who also rip you on the shipping,. Starline ships free.
A 230 grain bullet seems a bit heavy, but it will probably work work (and recoil a bit more). The heaviest weight I have shown is 200 grains...So You would have to reduce the powder charge to compensate for the extra weight. First of course you have to decide what powder you are going to use and then reduce the charge shown for the 200 grain bullet by 10-15%. You can also expect that the heavier bullet will shoot a bit higher than the lighter ones. Loading data for the 10 MM can be found in any of the well known loading manuals. I haven't loaded my cases yet so I have nothing to report. I would suggest contacting the different powder manufacturers first regarding the use of that 230 grain bullet and see what their specific recommendations are for both the 38-40 and the 10 MM. They are all on-line. I'm of the opinion that its better to be safe than sorry. The Buckeyes are fine, well made and strong guns and they shoot very accurately with the 38-40 cartridge when the loadings are properly adjusted. I hope that this has helped you to get this sorted out and enjoying you gun. Good luck with yours. LLS