PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference btwn large and small mold handles?

RaymondMillbrae
02-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey folks,

I am doing a little bit of shopping around for mold handles (I'm a newbie to this), and was curious about something.

What is the difference between a set of large and small Lyman mold handles? (Or any handle, for that matter).

I keep on seeing them advertised as SMALL, LARGE, and 8" INCH.

I am looking for a set, specifically for the Lyman 525-grain sabot slug mold.

From what I can see, it is not the LENGTH of the handles that make them small or large. (I may be wrong). But I am noticing that the MOLD GRIPPING SIZE of the handle when they are closed (the wood handles are together) is either wider or narrower.

Is this what determines the handle size?

I was looking at purchasing a set of Lee mold handles. But if I can get some used Lyman mold handles for cheaper, then I will jump on a set.

Just curious.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

beagle
02-06-2010, 10:51 PM
The small mould handles made by Lyman were made for the SC small block Lyman moulds and are normally too small for a DC mould. There seems to be a lot of difference in the ones that I used and I must have had 20 different sets. Some will work with DCs and some won't.

I finally got tired of messing with them and traded them off and got RCBS handles and they usually fit the RCBS moulds as well as SC and DC Lymans and have longer wooden handles which allows you to get away from that heat a little better.

The newer Lyman handles are pretty much the same as RCBS handles and have longer wooden handles./beagle

RaymondMillbrae
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
So am I safe to assume that the Lyman 525-grain slug molds are the "DC" type?

If that's the case, then I guess I am OK, as a few of them are also advertisd as "SC" and "DC" mold handles. (Which helps to to know which ones will work for my mold).

Thanks.

02-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Raymond,

Lee 6-cavity handles are in the $12 range, from either Midsouth or Midway. They are an exact fit for Lyman moulds and with a bit of filing will fit RCBS moulds.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Raymond,

Lee 6-cavity handles are in the $12 range, from either Midsouth or Midway. They are an exact fit for Lyman moulds and with a bit of filing will fit RCBS moulds.

True but the Lyman and RCBS handles are far better quality, and worth the extra $ IMHO.

RaymondMillbrae
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM
If I were to purchase the Lyman mold handles, would I need the single/double cavity handles...or the larger 4-cavity handles?

2ndAmendmentNut
02-07-2010, 12:48 AM
If I were to purchase the Lyman mold handles, would I need the single/double cavity handles...or the larger 4-cavity handles?

Just the single/double ones for that shotgun mould of yours.

RaymondMillbrae
02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
Thanks, guys.

Seems that OpticsPlanet has some pretty good prices on bullet casting equipment. I also purchased my Lyman 525-grain slug mold there the other day, for $55.00, shipped to my door. (Which was the cheapest price I could find on the internet).

I ended-up getting:

Lyman single/double cavity mold handles for $29.89
Lyman Ingot Molds (with handle) for $17.59

Free shipping, and a 5% discount of $2.37

For a total (to my door) of $45.11.

Not bad at all.

Thanks again!!