PDA

View Full Version : Lachmiller 12ga. reloading Press

Dakoma
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I am buying this set of dies and a press on another forum and it is incomplete ,need information and a picture of the press setup so I can use it to reload my 12ga. shotshells.Any information would be helpful as I have not found much on the web.Thanks Dakoma[smilie=s:

Guesser
02-06-2010, 11:23 PM
My Lachmillar 12 ga. die set screws into my RCBS Rockchucker after I remove the bushing in the press to allow the larger dies to be mounted in the press, the set came with a universal type shell holder for 12 ga. Set up is very much the same as metallic die set up. Maybe yours are a different design and require a unique design press.

Dakoma
02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
My Lachmillar 12 ga. die set screws into my RCBS Rockchucker after I remove the bushing in the press to allow the larger dies to be mounted in the press, the set came with a universal type shell holder for 12 ga. Set up is very much the same as metallic die set up. Maybe yours are a different design and require a unique design press.

Yes, they would be larger and require a larger threaded hole.So I may be missing the press itself in the pics there only seem to be a primeing tool and the dies.I did find that RCBS bought out Lachmiller somewhere in the 70's.I have not had it shipped to me yey but the fellow said it all weighed 10 pounds and will cost me an extra $10.00 to ship it to me total $20.00 and it may be that it will work in a RCBS RockChucker by removeing the threaded bushing.I would like to see the original setup but have had no luck in finding info on the web,it will take me to Evil bay and to a place that wants me to buy a shotshell reloading reprint book from 1954.So to see the whole setup I might have to get in touch with RCBS,but thought that someone here might still be useing one.I entend to use it if I can find the press or parts needed.Thank you Dakoma:smile:

Dakoma
02-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I am still looking for the press or what one of the originals look like.A picture if there is someone still useing one would be nice so I can hunt one down and know what they look like,or maybe a place that sells old shotshell reloaders would be nice also.I want it to be original and working,not just parts to look at only .Thanks Dakoma

jimkim
02-08-2010, 12:09 AM
I am still looking for the press or what one of the originals look like.A picture if there is someone still useing one would be nice so I can hunt one down and know what they look like,or maybe a place that sells old shotshell reloaders would be nice also.I want it to be original and working,not just parts to look at only .Thanks Dakoma

Here, maybe this will help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8KNUtkFECQ or maybe this. http://forums.gunbroker.com/post.asp?method=ReplyQuote&REPLY_ID=3356614&TOPIC_ID=423965&FORUM_ID=2 Plachmiller........hahahahahaha!! That's funny..

scrapcan
02-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Dakoma,

I sent one for better keeping and to use some months back. I will see if I can find who it went to. I was a complete set for 12 guage including press and a couple of shellholders plus all dies. I think I may have pictures left also.

Dakoma
02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Dakoma,

I sent one for better keeping and to use some months back. I will see if I can find who it went to. I was a complete set for 12 guage including press and a couple of shellholders plus all dies. I think I may have pictures left also.
Oh that would be great !! Would have liked to have bought one with all the whistles and bells but maybe I can locate what I need and get it set up for use.I dont reload that many shotshells but like the look of some of the older setups and take care of my equipment.I like old stuff for reloading with.If you have pictures it would be a great help.Thanks Dakoma.

scrapcan
02-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Dakoma,

I sent it to Mikenbarb. He was using it. He had a bad family situation occur and has been silent on the forum trying to get life to some semblence of order. You might fire off a pm. I will look for the pictures and try ot get them to you. Send me a pm with your email address. I posted the pictures on the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors forum, but you have to be a member to get to them.

If you like old tools you should be a member. Pressman and Floodgate are active members over there as well as many others here. We would like to have new members over there also.

Pressman
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Several issues here. I don't have a Lachmillr shotshell die set, and the Herter's set I sold to another board member several years ago. The die set you show should have 1-1/4-18 threads. It would fit Lachmiller, RCBS A presses, not Rockchucker, Herter's and Hollywood.
The primer tool is a pre 1953 model. It takes a special, full shank shellholder. A Herter's sh could be used but the center hole is far larger and will be troublesome. Lachmiller press shellholders look almost like a twin to a Herter's. The center hole will always be smaller as they will work on the priming press. Lachmiller presses did not have a prime on the press feature.
Pictured is the Model 100 press your shotshell tools will fit.
Ken

Dakoma
02-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I will have to keep an eye out for on of them,looks to be well made and would last several lifetimes,missed out on a set of dies for a 410ga. and a fellow has a Lee Loader in a small flat box that I might be able to get to load 410ga. shotshells but would have been better with a press and dies,I will keep looking now that I see what one looks like.Dont want to bother a fellow with family problems that I have never met on line.Thank you for the picture and help.Dakoma

scrapcan
02-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for posting that picture Ken. I finally found the pictures of the one I had to post. The 100 is the sme press I had.

The dies sets are substantial , aren't they? I was impressd with how nice a job the setup did reloading paper and plastic hulls.

scrapcan
02-10-2010, 12:09 PM
here are some more pictures.

dies include ( not all shown in all pictures)

wad insertion tube w fingers ( 2 shown)
wad puch ide ( yo ucan see it from end view)
deprime and size die
crimp die
extra crimp insert
two shell holders.

The press shown in the pictures had some surface rust but cleaned up very well. It is a heavy item but all items fit in a large flat rate box with the handle removed.

Dakoma
02-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Looks like it works pretty slick,shell holders and apress with a 410ga. die set would work for me.Only got the 2 shells to reload for in shotgun,12ga and 410ga 3" Magnum.I will post in WTB and see what happens,maybe on a few other forums,someone may have one and the dies I need they want to sell.Thanks for the info and pictures.Dakoma

Dakoma
02-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Well got 3 forums covered on wanting to buy the press and other parts shellholders and another set of dies for 410ga. 3" Magnum and that covers all my shotgun needs 12ga. and 410 ga. for reloading shotshells,anyone have one for sale give me the PM with a price.All you fellows that helped me with the information and pictures I thank you, could not find anything on the web myself.Dakoma

scrapcan
02-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Dakoma,

RCBS made shotshell dies also. youmight throw that at them also. I may know where there is a set of rcbs 12 ga dies, but I will not be that way for quit some time. I will see if I can track someone down in the area where I last saw them.

Dakoma
02-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Dakoma,

RCBS made shotshell dies also. youmight throw that at them also. I may know where there is a set of rcbs 12 ga dies, but I will not be that way for quit some time. I will see if I can track someone down in the area where I last saw them.

I dont have a press with the larger hole required for the 12ga dies though,all of my reloading presses are for standard rifle dies.Dont know how they would work?