PDA

View Full Version : lyman press

meldrimgunsmith
06-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a lyman s/t with 6 holes for dies, priming attachment.whats it worth?
built like a brick out house

fourarmed
06-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I saw one at a yard sale last week. It had a powder measure, scale, and other odds and ends. He wanted $150. I thought that was way too much. The last one I bought (I have 2 on my bench set up with bullet seating dies.) I got at a gunshow for 20 or 25 bucks. They're not a bad press if they haven't had a lot of use. The ram does get loose with wear.

Swagerman
06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
Here's my all time favorite Lyman press, the All American four holer with a Herter's No. 40 powder measure.

It gets more use than any other press on my desks for working up loads.

Biggest, strongest, Lyman I've ever seen or owned.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060033750Xrtpchopped2ndpix.jpg

KCSO
06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I bought a Lyman Spar T for a friend the other day for $45.00. Mine has been in use since about 1975. I just got an All American for $50.00 with 19 J shell holders. I was going to pass the press on until I tried it and now it is a fixture on my bench.

Swagerman
06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
KCSO, are you aware that Lyman still sells the conversion shellholder that fits in the AA press but allows you to use standard industry shellholders...has a little set screw to hold in place after you slide it in.

But if you've got 19 J-types you probably don't need it.

I've got J-types in 9-mm, .38 spl, .44 spl/magnum, .45 acp/auto rim, and .45 Colt.

But I still use the Lyman shellholder conversion gizmo.

You got your AA for $50, what a steal.

Note: The turret has reducer bushings in the two black die stations (seating die and case mouth belling die, which are 310dies in .44 special caliber. The bigger die (behind the black center knob) is an RCBS carbide sizing die, and of course the tall boy Herter's No. 40 powder measure fits right in on top of things.

Kenjuudo machined the seater die spot on the left so it would take a large Lee bushing to accept the 7/8X14 dies. It was originally a strange oversize mini-thread that nothing would fit it...some kind of shotgun die hole accessorie.

Jim

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/PA060035cropped.jpg

BruceB
06-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes indeed.

The All-American has been my #1 press ever since I bought it new in 1967, and it still is today. It's funny, comparing it to the virginal machine in the above photos. The turret on mine is brightly-polished bare metal from the friction of my hands turning it for thousands upon thousands of rounds, and the corners of the casting are actually worn away to a considerable degree. I use the machine in the fastest manner, loading each case to completion by turning the turret to each of the stations in succession for each round.

$50 for an A-A with 19 shellholders is an outright GIFT. I paid more than that for a well-used one and NO shellholders for installation in Der SChuetzenwagen, but that didn't work out due to low headroom in the van. I then bought a new-condition Spar-T for the mobile role, and it also cost $50 (Ebay). It's a decent press, but pales beside the A-A.

utk
06-13-2006, 09:04 AM
meldrimgunsmith, there is a special place for things to sell, go to "Swappin & Sellin" further down the list...

KCSO
06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
I bought the press to finish out my collection of J shell holders. I have a conversion shell holder also and i have a set of home made J shell holders that I made by welding Lee priming tool holders to a machined shank. I am kind of a Lyman/Ideal Collector and have a complete Tru Line and several variations of the #1 #3 and so forth Ideal tools. It wasn't until I got this All American in that I was attracted to it and it has proved to be one of the best presses i have ever used. The press came wrapped in plastic and was in 100% condition, I couldn't even see that it had been bolted to a bench. Both bushings were in the press and I am now looking for an original shotgun die for the press just to complete the outfit.

Swagerman
06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Good luck trying to find the shotgun die for the AA press.

I tried and tried to find a reducer bushing that would fit that darn small tpi thread hole and it never happen. At that point my AA press was just a 3-station press.

If it weren't for Kenjuudo (Jim) drilling it out and tapping it for me, putting in a Lee reducer bushing that will accept the 7/8X14 standard dies...I would still not be using that hole's space. He did a masterful job and even put a set hex screw to lock it in place.

KCSO, we must think alike, I too use to tack weld the Lee flat bottom primer shellholders to a shank, did that on a couple of calibers until I got the X-type and other J-types. In fact, still have one set up in my Tru-line Jr. press for the .45 auto rim.

If lyman was smart, and I got my doubts, they would update a new version of the old AA model press. Its just about the best one they ever made. :mrgreen:

Jim

meldrimgunsmith
06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
http://www.dos-lupes-gunclub.com/guns/lyman.gif