PDA

View Full Version : Pat Marlin's gas check maker

cosmoline one
02-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Those of you that are using one & using aluminum flashing: How is that working out? Does it produce aluminum fouling & if so how are you cleaning it?
Also, how long did you have to wait for your dies to arrive after ordering?

Bob J
02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Those of you that are using one & using aluminum flashing: How is that working out? Does it produce aluminum fouling & if so how are you cleaning it?
Also, how long did you have to wait for your dies to arrive after ordering?

Ordered a 30 caliber back in June IIRC and am hoping it will arrive any day.... Will let you know how it works when it gets here....:-)

JIMinPHX
02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm not using Pat's rig, but I am making aluminum checks. They seem to work just fine in most standard barrels. They foul the living daylights out of a chrome bore though. the stuff is hard to clean out too.

cosmoline one
02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
JIMinPHX,
so how are you cleaning it?

saigafan2008
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I ordered Pat's 30 cal checkmaker back in March, and hopefully it'll be here soon. But I plan to use it with copper from his copper GB...

Carl

JIMinPHX
02-07-2010, 12:06 AM
JIMinPHX,
so how are you cleaning it?

Lots & lots of elbow grease with a bronze brush &/or chore boy, followed by lead away cloth. It's about 5 times harder to clean than a badly leaded barrel. That's only in the chrome bore though. In a standard barrel, I get no fouling at all. Same alloy, same lube, same bullet weight, same velocity within 5%.

Pirate69
02-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Anyone understand why a chrome bore files with aluminum and a standard barrel does not?

Buckshot
02-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Anyone understand why a chrome bore files with aluminum and a standard barrel does not?

.............Probably because it's too smooth and the aluminum is galling. Sounds wierd I know.

.............Buckshot

cosmoline one
02-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Lots & lots of elbow grease with a bronze brush &/or chore boy, followed by lead away cloth. It's about 5 times harder to clean than a badly leaded barrel. That's only in the chrome bore though. In a standard barrel, I get no fouling at all. Same alloy, same lube, same bullet weight, same velocity within 5%.

How do you use choreboy? wrap it around a jag to a tight fit I presume?

JIMinPHX
02-07-2010, 07:18 PM
How do you use choreboy? wrap it around a jag to a tight fit I presume?

Yep, that's exactly it.

bootsnthejeep
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Might be something to experiment with, haven't done it personally, just a similar situation. I just replaced a melted aluminum piston in my Arctic Cat with a 440 Suzuki engine, which has a chrome-lined aluminum cylinder. When the piston burns down it leaves heavy deposits of aluminum on the chrome bore. You can't bore these cylinders because of the chrome lining, so you either replace the cylinder or figure out how to get the aluminum off, and it turns out Muriatic Acid works quite well. You can get it at any hardware store, its used to balance the pH in pools. Its just diluted (30% solution, IIRC) hydrochloric acid. It attacks aluminum but won't hurt the chrome. We just daubed it on the heavy areas with an acid brush, let it sit for a few minutes and then scrubbed on it with brass and bronze brushes and then some fine steel wool. Had to keep re-applying but it worked. Something to think about. We also noticed that the next day, we'd left some of the muriatic acid out in a bowl and it had definitely changed color and consistency, like most of the water had evaporated, and it REALLY made short work of the aluminum then. It was kind of slow going with the regular Muriatic acid, but we were trying to keep things under control. Might be worth reading up on.

Boots

Spudgunr
02-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Just be careful, it isn't diluted acid. Hydrochloric doesn't get much above 30%, you are dealing with it almost as strong as it comes. It isn't as bad as nitric or sulfuric, sure, but be careful none-the-less. Take the lid off and you'll see fumes form around the mouth of the jar.

I'm not sure what the observed change would be though that you observed.

lavenatti
02-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Aluminum will react more with alkalines than it will with acids. Some drain cleaner containing sodium or potassium hydroxide will dissolve aluminum really fast and shouldn't harm anything the inside of a barrel will be made of. Easy-0ff oven cleaner used to be sodium hydroxide as well (may still be, I haven't checked in a while).

Just remember what you're using if you try it, wear goggles and gloves and try not to splatter it around.

If you're curious, dissolve some drain cleaner in an old mason jar and toss in a few pieces of aluminum foil. It'll start slow but pretty soon it'll be bubbling away (that's hydrogen gas it's giving off) and it'll get pretty warm as well. Some of the drain cleaners on the market have some aluminum chips in them to give a "fizz" and make you think their really working.

DLCTEX
02-08-2010, 11:19 AM
When I guaged oil wells back in my drinking days there was a broken bag of soda ash left at a location. A Coors beer can laid on it would be dissloved the next day, leaving the lable painted in the clear lacquer coating. When I roughnecked on a drilling rig we cleaned our aluminum hard hats by wiping with a caustic soda solution. A worm (newbie) asked how we got them so clean and was told to soak his hat in the solution for two hours. All that was left was the steel rivets.

XWrench3
02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
i have no idea if it would hurt a rifle or not. but we used to use muratic acid to desolve aluminum in chrome or nicasil lined motor cycle / snowmobile cylinders. i would think that a mop swabed back and fourth across the aluminum would take care of it. you would have to be quite careful not to get it anywhere else though. the acid might make other non chromed area's weak.

Bob J
02-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Glad to know it's not just me waiting.....[smilie=1:

I ordered Pat's 30 cal checkmaker back in March, and hopefully it'll be here soon. But I plan to use it with copper from his copper GB...

Carl

keeper89
02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
DLCTEX--worm.....boy, that takes me back some. Used to have a ball sending them aroung to get the key to the v door or find the water table.......

fathertime24
04-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I have the standard 30 cal maker and the 35PB maker.
Both are awsome check makers. I use Versa aluminum flashing I ordered through Ace hardware. It is .0078 thick. Works great on both. I have used both the .o14 and the .009. These will work for the PB and 30 cal but not needed and it is a little harder to swage onto PB bullets. Aluminum cans also work good for the PB, not for the 30 cal. I have reciently modified my lee sizing die for my 35 PB cal to allow easier swaging with the bullet upside down and pushed through. All I did was make a lead in bevel to allow the bullet and gas check to start in. Did not affect the function of the Lee Sizer dies at all, actually made it better to use.

onondaga
04-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Pat confirmed my prepaid order for a PB45 CheckMaker on 10-12-10, I am still waiting and personally disappointed with the long wait.

Gary

arjacobson
04-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Pat confirmed my prepaid order for a PB45 CheckMaker on 10-12-10, I am still waiting and personally disappointed with the long wait.

Gary

I haven't been waiting that long but my order was paid for end of january/first week of february... this was for a IN STOCK 30 cal check maker.. I would hate to have to wait for an out of stock item,,,,,,,,,:-?

Kirk Miller
04-08-2011, 09:21 PM
Good things come to those that wait. I'll wait as long as necessary, in order to get the quality that Pat produces.
Kirk

RobS
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
It's been a wait for many but Pat's been up front the entire way and is keeping us all updated here on the forum. It's not like he's been sitting on his can doing nothing. I too have a 45 PB Checkmaker order and will be happy when it arrives.

arjacobson
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I wasn't talking about the protoype pb checkmaker. The 30 cal that I ordered was listed IN STOCK. Check arrived feb 12th. Even if it took the rest of the month to clear it should have been shipped by now. I wouldn't really care much other than being told it was in stock already. The original post asked about shipping time and we are posting our experiences with that subject. Patience has nothing to do with it at all.. I got a pm from Pat tonight saying the checkmaker will be sent out in the morning... We shall see............

Reg
04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Going back to page one of this post. I would be real careful using any kind of acid or caustic cleaner to try to remove aluminum fouling. Get any on a nice blued part and it most likely will no longer be a nice blued part.
Have one of his check makers and it does make very nice looking gas checks. They fit well. Havn't shot enough of them at this point to have any opinion but so far, so good.

:drinks:

arjacobson
04-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Okay-just found something out... Seems I should have just ordered the 30 cal GC maker from ebay.. We are sitting here waiting months for stuff and they are listed on ebay.. They are listed with how many are available also....Just got off the site and the auction had 3 listed available. What gives Pat?? Not starting anything here just am REAL interested how forum members can wait for months while new GC makers are being listed and sold.on ebay all the time?? Anyone who doesn't believe me check(no pun intended) it out for yourself.. Maybe we need the moderaters involved??:?:

357shooter
04-09-2011, 12:55 PM
If someone (or a business) has some that they bought and is now selling them on eBay, how does that cause a problem getting them from Pat?

RobS
04-09-2011, 01:28 PM
If someone (or a business) has some that they bought and is now selling them on eBay, how does that cause a problem getting them from Pat?

I think what arjacobson is saying is Pat has some up for sale on ebay.

patsher
04-09-2011, 02:49 PM
No, I don't think it's Pat who has them up for sale-- the guy's ebay name is "jpgreensgoodstuff" and it says he's from Sacramento, CA. The odd thing is, though, that he has four different sizes offered for sale, with 3 available in each of 3 sizes and 10 available in one size. $84.00 plus $7.55 shipping on "Buy It Now".

Maybe asking Pat Marlin direct would help clarify?

RobS
04-09-2011, 03:33 PM
No, I don't think it's Pat who has them up for sale-- the guy's ebay name is "jpgreensgoodstuff" and it says he's from Sacramento, CA. The odd thing is, though, that he has four different sizes offered for sale, with 3 available in each of 3 sizes and 10 available in one size. $84.00 plus $7.55 shipping on "Buy It Now".

Maybe asking Pat Marlin direct would help clarify?

Asking Pat and having direct contact would be the best means probably. The ebay seller name does appear to be Pat as my transaction through Paypal for one of his 45 Cal PB checkmakers has a contact email with the similar beginning of jpgreen@......................

357shooter
04-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I think what arjacobson is saying is Pat has some up for sale on ebay.I looked and assumed that jpgreensgoodstuff wasn't Pat.

RobS
04-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I looked and assumed that jpgreensgoodstuff wasn't Pat.

I have no dog in this fight but my direct PayPal transaction with PatMarlin details my order with him for a 45 cal PB Checkmaker. Clicking under transaction details it has an email address to contact PatMarlin and as I stated it's: jpgreen@.............. (I am not providing the ending as to keep privacy)

I'm just putting out the facts of what I have for a PayPal transaction with Pat here on the forum.

It could be coincidence that another person from California is selling the PatMarlin Checkmaker system with similar sequential letterings in descriptive forms as emails and seller names but it seems a bit unlikely.

no34570
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
I just went to ebay,had a look and it looks like Pat might be selling his stuff there,I hope not I've been waiting 3 months :sad:
I ordered (2) Checkmaker dies sets in 30cal, 45 Calibre, and
one (1) custom .284 Male die.

I won't go off half cocked until Pat says it's true or not.
But if it is true,I"ll be very disappointed and may have to cancel my order and get a refund.:groner:
And it can go towards my swaging dies that I want instead. :)

PatMarlin
04-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I wasn't talking about the protoype pb checkmaker. The 30 cal that I ordered was listed IN STOCK. Check arrived feb 12th. Even if it took the rest of the month to clear it should have been shipped by now. I wouldn't really care much other than being told it was in stock already. The original post asked about shipping time and we are posting our experiences with that subject. Patience has nothing to do with it at all.. I got a pm from Pat tonight saying the checkmaker will be sent out in the morning... We shall see............

OK- this is rediculous.

First off, yes that is my handle and my sales on eBay. I have a long 15 business day wait on there, and if you notice- even on of the feedback comments one guy said it took him a month to get his order. Guess what, everyone else had to wait there also. I returned feedback thanking them for being patient when I was down flat on my back with kidney stones. Do your homework before you start slingin' stuff.

You might also want to take notice, I've got 100% positive feedback since 2000.

Before all the hell rained and snowed down on me this winter, I had achieved 10 business day wait on my products.

I tried to explain on the update thread, that I had missed some order dates and shipped a few ahead, and yes a few were ebay.

With everything going on, I screwed up and missed your order date arjacobson, and didn't catch it until I got a chance to take a breath with everything I have had going on, and find it. It was my mistake. I have screwed up some other dates as well.

Yesterday I kindly told you your order would be going out today. In fact I was ready to have my wife make a special Saturday trip to drop it at the PO. So now I do believe with your post you are trying to do nothing but start some ****.

It's nobody's business if I sell on eBay or not. If you feel you have been wronged, fine. Your refund is coming as soon as I get done here. AND my wife will wait until Monday to get to the PO.

And while I'm on the subject...

no34570- You continually hound me, and post comments about your order. You ordered 30 cal and 45cal. I have worked with you and answered several of your questions including that we decided would require a custom extra male die for your needs.

I told you from the start 45 was not shipping yet, and I could not give you a date as yet. I asked if you wanted your 30 cal first, and you declined and said you would wait for both dies at once to save on shipping.

Now- did you figure I was obligated to take some guff off of you just because you had another order? Somehow that gave you license to constantly bring it up, and now post here?

I tell ya- I have had a brutal winter and it has been a monumental task to bring you guys these dies. No one's gonna get rich here. I try my best and my damdest to please every one and keep things in order.

I screwed up on yours arjacobson. That doesn't give ME the right to make things harder on myself than I already have, but stuff like customer service, late orders, mistakes, and my CNC down is what keeps me up at night. Why? Cause I give damn, and strive to get as close to perfection as I can.

I'm done explaining it. Folks can go check the update thread for announcements. I'm sending orders out I screwed up on, and got out of sequence Monday, and as soon as my machine is back online, EVERYONE will be caught up on even the latest calibers I'm shipping.

You two guys can go buy Freechex with your refund. Call me an *******. Call me unprofessional. Don't buy from me if you can't wait.

There's only so much I can take here. Nothing has been done intentional on my part.

RobS
04-09-2011, 07:03 PM
From the man himself...................clear enough for me.

arjacobson
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Pat-sounds like a refund will be the perfect thing. Not trying to start anything but if you think I'm the only one grumbling about this issue then you are sorely mistaken. The basic point of this thing is your stating the GC maker was IN STOCK.. You also said in another pm that it was "going out" this week.. Weeks ago. I used to run a small business that I closed up when I moved and I NEVER gave people the run around like I got here..In fact I worked a few all nighters to keep my word.. I appreciate the fact that you were going to take a "special trip" just to ship out my GC maker.. Sorry to be so much trouble.. Yep I think a refund will be the perfect thing to do.. Gotta go in the garage and machine me a check maker out tonight..should be back online in a few hours....

no34570
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Pat
PM sent

no34570
04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Well
I've been told
All I asked is when and how is the update of the dies going,fair enough,no hard feelings

357shooter
04-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Pretty clear, sounds good Pat.

HARRYMPOPE
04-09-2011, 07:18 PM
pm sent on mine for refund too.The time is not an issue,being lead on that is was ready is not.I PayPal's for #1 and sent a postal money order for #2.No hard feelings just have lost faith i will ever receive one.

HMP

no34570
04-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm willing to wait for my order,if Pat is and can tell me a time frame,a month 2 months from now.

Now- did you figure I was obligated to take some guff off of you just because you had another order? Somehow that gave you license to constantly bring it up, and now post here?
When was asking how things are going with the production of these Taboo?
If not,then.....................:?:

stubert
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
A vender sponsor, would not be a vendor sponsor if he continually had problems with delivering a product, it sounds like he had a private problem. I think a private e-mail would have been a better option, before a public assault.

no34570
04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
A vender sponsor, would not be a vendor sponsor if he continually had problems with delivering a product, it sounds like he had a private problem. I think a private e-mail would have been a better option, before a public assault.

I'm not getting in a slanging match here,but I emailed him 3 times,no reply(Asking the production of the dies how they are coming along)and probably asked 4 or 5 times on the forum here,so all in all 8 times I've asked how things are progressing in the last 3 months,all the other emails I have sent to him were to knuckle out what I needed and wanted and I get accused of hounding,hey,I'm not perfect,if I'm impatient,then I apologise for that,but I did not start the public assault,I was showing my disappointment,but,hey I'm pretty easy going,if he don't want my business then refund me and we'll call it quits,no hard feelings,well on my part.
Cheers mate

PatMarlin
04-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Pat-sounds like a refund will be the perfect thing. Not trying to start anything but if you think I'm the only one grumbling about this issue then you are sorely mistaken. The basic point of this thing is your stating the GC maker was IN STOCK.. You also said in another pm that it was "going out" this week.. Weeks ago. I used to run a small business that I closed up when I moved and I NEVER gave people the run around like I got here..In fact I worked a few all nighters to keep my word.. I appreciate the fact that you were going to take a "special trip" just to ship out my GC maker.. Sorry to be so much trouble.. Yep I think a refund will be the perfect thing to do.. Gotta go in the garage and machine me a check maker out tonight..should be back online in a few hours....

Really? That looks exactly to be what you're doing.

Also- I was sorely under the impression most folks were extremely happy with my products by the daily compliments and thanks I get with re-orders.

I acknowledged I made a mistake with your order yesterday, and agreed to get it to you right away, but that was not good enough. You had to publicly beat up on me here today.

You know I've heard of guys with great manufacturing products and custom gun services for the industry walk away due to the small percentage of guys like you. Make the considerable sacrifice to try and scratch out a dollar for your benefit really. I can understand why they shut down and give up.

I can attest that it takes away all incentive, and your and energy gets sucked right out of you for the day.

HARRYMPOPE
04-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Pat we understand your hardships and one thing that is not an issue is your quality of work.I really do not want the refund i asked for but with no hard delivery time i cannot hold out any longer.A friend at our club ordered one of your 30 checkmakers a month after mine and has received it already.
Possibly if you gave us a "production list" with our place in line it would have help calm our minds.

HMP

PatMarlin
04-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Pat we understand your hardships and one thing that is not an issue is your quality of work.I really do not want the refund i asked for but with no hard delivery time i cannot hold out any longer.A friend at our club ordered one of your 30 checkmakers a month after mine and has received it already.
Possibly if you gave us a "production list" with our place in line it would have help calm our minds.

HMP

George,

I don't know how many times I can explain it to you guys. I sent out some orders out of sequence by error. Your friend was one of them obviously. Who ever he is.

First- you ordered one 30 cal die set on 2-16-11, and paid with PayPal.

Second- you changed your order on 3-16 and added another die set. We received your check on 3-28.

Your order with (2) dies is boxed and labeled with a 3 day USPS priority ClicknShip label and paid. Does this calm your mind any?

Am I being unreasonable here?

Is today gang up on Pat Saturday?

HARRYMPOPE
04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
oh heck yes end them along!!!

glad to hear that.

hmp

Kirk Miller
04-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Come on guys. The man is running a one man start up business. People make mistakes. If you've never made one, stand up and I'll call you a liar. If you can't deal with it, "cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it"

Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes people need to be reminded of compassion and empathy!
Kirk

no34570
04-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Pat
I hope we can work this out,I sent you a pm to say so,I know it is frustrating to get so far then it falls in a heap,I probably did not help in emailing and posting questions on our orders,sorry mate.
I told my sister about what was happening and apparently she informs me that "I am impatient"
so now I know what time frame it will be,roughly,I can wait :)
Keep up the good work and don't worry about me.
cheers

no34570
04-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Come on guys. The man is running a one man start up business. People make mistakes. If you've never made one, stand up and I'll call you a liar. If you can't deal with it, "cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it"

Sorry to be so blunt, but sometimes people need to be reminded of compassion and empathy!
Kirk

Hey
I'm the first to admit if I was wrong and maybe I was in asking questions?:oops:

45nut
04-10-2011, 10:15 AM
You guys thinking weeks is a long time for a custom die set up might want to put it in perspective to the Savage Striker rebarrelling job I have been waiting for since '05.
Six years for a savage, the simplest of all rebarrel jobs. Put's my 3 1/2 year wait for a SMLE rebarrel in the dust.

HARRYMPOPE
04-10-2011, 11:18 AM
You guys thinking weeks is a long time for a custom die set up might want to put it in perspective to the Savage Striker rebarrelling job I have been waiting for since '05.
Six years for a savage, the simplest of all rebarrel jobs. Put's my 3 1/2 year wait for a SMLE rebarrel in the dust.

I can put you in touch with my 'smith in Vancouver WA that does barrel work for me.The longest i have had to wait is three weeks and he build rifles for some of the top shooters in Wa and Oreygun.

The time frame wasn't our "rant" it was being stepped over when we had pre-paid and being told "it was in the mail" so to speak when it was not.It looks like it will get resolved though.When our items arrive i am sure we will all be happy.Sounds like it was an issue of many odd circumstances and is getting resolved.

HMP

arjacobson
04-10-2011, 04:17 PM
pm sent

no34570
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Ok,you win that one :wink:
That is too long, sheesh
Well,I'm off to work.