PDA

View Full Version : B.S.S.P Press

Danth
02-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Anyone using the BSSP press? I am considering purchasing one, and would like to get some feedback prior to making the plunge. I'd like to swage 22 cal bullets up to 45 rifle. Is this possible with this press? Thanks for any input. Danth

ETG
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
I have it and like it but I have only done 223s. It doesn't take 7/8" dies if that is what your planning to use.

jdjframes
02-07-2010, 01:03 AM
I use one for .224. Works good. I also use his dies, good product, less than Corbin and just a good as far as I'm concerned. Probably the best bang for your buck unless you are going to be swaging thousands of bullets a year, then go carbide.

Some guys use them for br or BR, take your pick, with good results.

Of course, I still use a set of Frank Hempstead .224 dies from the early 70s with good results

jixxerbill
02-07-2010, 09:16 AM
i also use mr blackmon's press to make 9mm bullets, works good for me so far !!

Toobroke
02-07-2010, 08:13 PM
I also use his bullet swaging press. Dr Blackmon is a pleasure to deal with. What I got from him is high quality. I also have a set of Bullet Swaging Supply dies for 22 cal (I believe they fit the old Corbin press as well with a small modification). I know when I was researching swaging dies/presses about 4 years ago or so, I ran across some comments in one of the Benchrest forums (6mmBR?); some guy was asking about BSS and Corbin dies and the answers were unanimous for BSS. Of course, many said Niemi (sp?) carbide dies were better yet; but if I remember right, they were upwards of $3500-4000 complete with 3 modified Rockchucker presses.

Country
02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
From what I can see the BSSP press is a partial copy of the Corbin mity mite press which is possibly a copy of the SAS mity mite press.
The horizontal designed press is a good compact little press and works well . They have more leverage over a short distance than an RCBS RC but less frame strength. However the BSSP has the linkage going to the press head which helps reduce head flexing as long as the longer linkage don't add flex.
You could swage a 45 cal bullet but only if it had a short ogive . As the ogive got longer the press would start to suffer.
If you are considering swaging big 45 cal rifle bullets then it may pay you to consider a larger verticle press like Corbin Csp1 or similar RCE press .
I still feel the most engineering and finnish is in the CSP1 at this stage.
Corbin don't seem to make the Mity Mite anymore as far as I can see.
A mistake in my view , because it allowed competitors like Blackmon to slip in and service those customers that Corbin deserted. Although Richard does not sell the Mity Mite either as far as I can see.
If you don't have a lot of bench space or a workshop these horizontal presses are handy and can be stored easy when not in use. However they are limited when getting into bigger calibers.
They are just as capable of making quality accurate bullets as any other type of press and may be better than some reloading presses as far as ram alignment goes.

jdjframes
02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Another tip is to get a punch holder for every punch. Being a somewhat easy going guy, I don't like to disassemble things and then put them back together all the time. Set them and leave them. Punch holders are not that expensive.

Jim