PDA

View Full Version : A maybe project

Beekeeper
02-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I have a 1888 commission rifle receiver and bolt that I was thinking of making into a custom rifle.
Was thinking 45ACP as I will not have to change the bolt head.
Has anyone ever made a bolt action 45ACP rifle?
Would appreciate anyones input pro or con!

Jim

SwedeNelson
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Beekeeper

I have about 15 or 20 of the same.

Was just thinking the same thing.
A single shot would be simple.
And a cut down action and bolt
wouldn't be that hard either.

Would be fun!
Swede Nelson

swheeler
02-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Jim; Rhineland Arms was selling conversions for mausers and SMLE's to 45ACP, this might give you some ideas www.troupsystems.com Scot

KYCaster
02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Buckshot's the guy you need to talk to. He's done that and posted a detailed description of the whole process.....with pics. A search should turn it up.

Jerry

Frank46
02-07-2010, 01:30 AM
Beekeeper, make up a piece of metal to fit inside the mag well that has a depression sort of like
one of the score high benchrest followers and pin or epoxy in place. Haven't tried it but see no reason why it shouldn't work. Frank

Buckshot
02-07-2010, 04:34 AM
............I have an old 'Rifle' magazine single page article of a guy who turned a M91 Argentine into a 45 ACP short barreled single shot sporter. He called it his "Blammer"[smilie=w:

I turned a Spanish Destroyer carbine into a 45 ACP bolt action carbine and as KYCaster mentioned I did shorten a small ring Mauser action to make a magazine fed (1911 magazine) bolt action.

http://www.fototime.com/EDA5033E9CCD6AC/standard.jpg

Before the action was shortened. It's in a 'try' fixture I cobbled up to see if it'd feed over the lug reccesses, and what angle was best.

http://www.fototime.com/071A0EB45795839/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/2821280E2C9CF3D/standard.jpg

The action after shortening. Cute, eh? There IS a problem however.

................Buckshot

Beekeeper
02-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Buckshot,
Would you need to shorten the receiver and bolt?
If you made a fixture to hold a 45ACP magazine and it would feed does the legnth of the receiver make a difference?
Other than looks I mean!

Jim

Buckshot
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Buckshot,
Would you need to shorten the receiver and bolt?
If you made a fixture to hold a 45ACP magazine and it would feed does the legnth of the receiver make a difference?
Other than looks I mean!

Jim

............No, for sure you wouldn't have to shorten the action for any legitimate reason. I just did because I wanted to see how it'd turn out. It turned out well and was fun in the bargain. If you did leave the action full length your only real problem would be the ejector as it would still be way back there setup for a much longer case. Not a big problem though.

..............Buckshot

reboundspring
02-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Gents,

Must say that Buckshot is very ambitious in shortening that Mauser action.
That is NOT a trivial project. Nice work boss.

I have built a .45 acp conversion on an Enfield MK 4 with the Rhineland kit.
Not as easy as it sounds. The barrel works, it screws in with a lock nut like
a Savage 110 series. The magazine is replaced with a two piece aluminum
block that looks like the enfield mag, but it is milled to accept a 1911 mag.
There is a mag catch in the adaptor block.

All good so far. Now for the problems. The extractor is just a modified military
and strongly pushes the fired case against the left receiver wall, hoping that
the stock ejector (just a screw through the side of the receiver) will catch
the case and knock it out. No such luck. Case just falls into the action.
I had to build a spring loaded left side case support,
and fit it into a slot in the left side of the bolt head.
I had to soften the extractor spring, and shorten the extractor hook, so the
.45 case was not pushed off the bolt face. i finally had to install a fixed ejector
(off of a 1911, although a steel pin pressed in would have also been OK)
into the top of the aluminum mag adaptor to get decent ejection. I milled a slot
into the Enfield bolt to clear the ejector. Worked great, finally.

Shoots well with zero recoil.

i wish you all the luck and patience in the world. If you run out of patience,
as Buckshot for some. If he can do the Mauser chop and channel he's got lots
of patience to spare!

Reboundspring

Beekeeper
02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, especially Buckshot.
I am going to give it a try after I complete my final 71/84 (in process now)
Am trying to figure out the feed mech.

Jim

Gee_Wizz01
02-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Buckshot that is really nice! I have always wanted to try to shorten an action, but don't have access to equipment anymore. Plus I am not proficient at welding. How did you handle the firing pin and spring?

G

Frank46
02-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Maybe Swede Nelson could be persuaded to do a run of 1888 commission rifle bolt heads for the 35 rem cartridge. Now that would make a nice project on the gew 88-05 that had been altered for loading with stripper clips. Hint, hint Swede you listening????. Frank

Buckshot
02-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Buckshot that is really nice! I have always wanted to try to shorten an action, but don't have access to equipment anymore. Plus I am not proficient at welding. How did you handle the firing pin and spring?

G

Like thusly:

http://www.fototime.com/0D4798327EAC454/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/F246BB1FDB4371E/standard.jpg

Left: Cutting in the new bolt shroud keys. Right: Durn that's a POOR photo! The moded firing pin before cutting off the excess.

The mainspring IS the problem. Or rather assembling and dis-assembling the bolt is the problem. No way to use the existing bolt setup and have a spring long enough to work. Bummer! Everything was going SO well :violin:

..............Buckshot

Gee_Wizz01
02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Buckshot;

Many years ago I did a drawing of bolt and firing pin shortening process in ACAD and came up with the same problem. At the time I was looking at cutting down the action for use with .45 Win Mag. I looked at various mods to the bolt, firing pin and cocking piece but finally shelved the project when I changed jobs and lost access to machine shop.

I know there must be a simple way of doing the job, but it has eluded me. I certainly hope you get it figured out, because that action looks to pretty to sit on a shelf.

G