PDA

View Full Version : lead free swaging

dangerranger
02-05-2010, 11:32 PM
has anyone tryied making lead free bullits for a 22hornet or 223? I live in the lead ban area of CA and altho the lead free bullits are becoming available they are EXPENCIVE. Id like to make 45 and 55gr bullits . I have read about some using powdered zinc or powdered copper but has anyone tryed it? I have been reading up on swaging and think I could make them cheap enough that I could sell a few localy to offset the costs. thanks DR

ANeat
02-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Ive seen the powdered metal but I cant say Ive seen or heard of anyone that does it yet.

Remember you will need an FFL if you start selling bullets

Here is Corbins info on the powdered metal. http://www.corbins.com/powder.htm

Jjed
02-06-2010, 12:15 AM
lead free solder

dangerranger
02-06-2010, 01:24 AM
lead free solder

I can just swage them from lead free solder? that seems like a really easy answer. thanks DR

ANeat
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Lead free solder is pretty much just tin right? Im not sure if that would be too hard to swage or not?

hoosierlogger
02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Lead free solder would almost be as expensive an buying factory loads. this might be a good time to hit up the radiator shops and plumbers

dangerranger
02-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I work with a bunch of plumbers. Ive been getting their short rolls of solder for years. a six pak will get me a coffee can full of short pieces . Ive been using it to alloy with ww and pure lead. DR

Blammer
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
what about zinc? that's not lead right?

collect the zinc ww's and use that for the middle, just a wild idea, not sure if it has merrit or not.

tommygirlMT
02-06-2010, 07:31 PM
The guy who owns NwCP (Northwest Custom Projectiles) up here in MT has been swaging lead free shotgun slugs and selling them for a year or more. They are copper jacket with an aluminum core. If it works for shotgun slugs why not for other stuff too.

JohnM
02-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I’ve made tungsten powder 78gr .224 bullets. I used the same J4 jacket I used for 60gr lead bullets. I put a small amount of lead on top of the tungsten and after swaging heated the finished bullets. They shot very well out of a 1:9 twist barrel, but really too expensive for everyday shooting. My plan is to make a high BC shorter bullet for shooting out of a 6mm target rifle…

Guess you could exchange the lead with wax….

John

dangerranger
02-08-2010, 05:51 AM
I found a guy whos using the filings from under a copper cuttoff saw and powdered tin. he says that after they are swaged he heats them to solder the copper in place. he says that the dies were expencive but the process is very easy.I think he said he was using Corbin dies. DR

dddddmorgan
02-11-2010, 10:12 PM
No, you don't need a license to sell boolits of any kind other than as a merchant. It's loaded ammo. That is unless Kalifornia has different regulations.