PDA

View Full Version : Wad shear???

Deadeye
02-05-2010, 11:15 PM
This slug loading stuff is killing me!!!:???:

I just scraped up enough money to get some wads for loading Lee slugs. Then I stumble on a thread that says don't use claybusters because the have a rib inside the wad that causes the wad to shear. Anybody care to guess what brand of wad I bought?[smilie=b: 500 to be exact.

What exactly is wad shearing? Is it dangerous? Do they make straight jackets in XXL?

SuperBlazingSabots
02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Greetings Deadeye what you need for Lee Key slugs are
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/LeeKeyinFed12S4and12S3wad.jpg
put a nitro card in the shot cup below the slug and cut the excess petals at the top like shown in the picture.
This is a hobby and should be fun loading.
Best of luck.
Ajay
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

Dixie Slugs
02-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Excellent indeed! Now, if you load Lee Key Slugs cast from pure lead, there is little shear as the ribs inside the wad's petals press into the soft lead slug.
On the otherhand, if you try to cast hard lead slugs, the ribs inside the wad petals can not press into the hard lead......and cut/shear!
It's really quite simple indeed. Dixie Slugs has posted many posts about which wad we found in extensive tests that will not shear with hard cast slugs. Another problem is in tight choke barrels when using the Lee Key Slugs. It mat be safe to shoot pure lead Key Slugs in choked barrels, but it will stress any wad used.
The Federal wads are tough and have no ridges inside the wad's petals. Of course, these are just suggestions based on our tests.
Another cause of wad failure is the burning rate of the powder. From our testing, Blue Dot seems to work best on the wads and higher velocity.
And....If roll crimping and the front edge of the wads have to unrole the rolled crimp, thereby damaging the wad....in this case a folded crimp may be best as the nose of the slug opens the folded cring....James

Deadeye
02-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks guys! I just bought some Fed. 12S3 wads (Anybody want to buy 500 Claybuster WAA12SL wads?).

Is the nitro wad there just to keep the wad from sticking in the slugs base? Would filling the base with wax or hot glue work? Exactly what does Cutting the pedals do for you?

P.S. Will this wad/slug combo work ok in a imp cyl choke?

Blammer
02-06-2010, 05:00 PM
nitro card is there to keep the wad from ramming into the base of the slug, yes filling with candle wax or such stuff or the hot glue will do the same thing.

the cut petals on mine really decrease the accuracy a BUNCH!