PDA

View Full Version : I bit the bullet and went for it.....

Hitman
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
I went ahead and bout the Lyman in a box for 50$. Here is what I ended up with and a few questions.

Lyman true line jr. turrett with what I am told to be 9mm dies installed. No cracks, repairs, or damage.
Herter's inc scale (which I have read I need some type of oil for dampening)
No. 55 Ideal powder measure Seems to have everything except a lid.
1lb can of bullseye smokeless powder
2 pks Winchester small pistol magnum primers (200ct)
1 pck Federal large pistol primers (100ct)
1pck Federal small pistol primers (100ct)
1 loading block (60)
These are apox. numbers below...
250ct .45 acp brass
600ct 9mm luger brass
250ct .40 S&W brass
75ct 9x18 mak brass
275ct .380 brass
40ct .32 auto brass
metal case with a type of pad inside that says pacific tool company div. of hornady. (I have no clue what it is for)
Lyman ammunition reloading handbook, 41st edition. copyrighted in 1957 and it sold originally for 2$

I also recieved a nifty brush, plastic slotted spoon, 2 allen wrenches and a spare ziplock baggie.

Now I believe that I definatly got my 50$ worth. Question is what else am I going to need?
I am going to trade off the brass in bold type, if anyone has something I would need to get started.

I have found a plate on ebay to modernize the die plate to the 7/8-14 thread dies but does anyone know anyone else that makes them?

Are the primers and powder still good if they have been stored for a number of years?

Storydude
02-05-2010, 11:15 PM
bullets, A few dozen molds, a few dozen new rifles for the molds you have...

Powder and primers are good assuming stored in a cool dry place. I'm firing primers made in the 80's right now.

cheese1566
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Primers you may be OK on,

but the powder I would trash unless you know for certain where it came from and that it is 100% bullseye (unless of course it is a sealed can).

Without a pic, I would guess the pacific tin with pad is a case lube pad.

Hitman
02-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Well that case does have some sticky **** around the edges.
Ya the powder is brand new, but the top of the can has a bit of surface rust on it.

lylejb
02-06-2010, 01:19 AM
99% of the life of powder and primers depends on storage conditions. IF the powder and primers were stored indoors (like inside the house) it may be fine. The enemy is large swings in temperature and humidity. If the powder and primers were stored out in a unheated shed, getting roasted in the summer and freezing and wet in the winter, for who knows how many years, they're probably trash.

Even if you have to buy new powder and primers ( and trust me , you WILL be buying more of both!!) you've done very well. If I remember right, I paid $50 for my #55 powder measure by it's self.

but the powder I would trash unless you know for certain where it came from and that it is 100% bullseye (unless of course it is a sealed can).

Cheese makes a good point. The concern is: what if someone refilled the can with some other type of powder? Usually, the worry would be a can of a slow burning powder, refilled with fast powder. This could cause dangerously high pressures.

Bullseye, however is one of the fastest powders readily available. Very few are faster, and those are hard to find.

If your can of bullseye was refilled, it most likely would be with a slower powder which would perform poorly, maybe even sticking boolits in the barrel.

First, I would smell the powder. A solvent smell, like alcohol or acetone is normal, but may have gone away by now. An acidic smell is a sign that the powder is decomposing, and should not be used.

Second, pour a small amount out on a white paper. powder is usually gray to black in color. Look for brown / rust colored dust. This is another sign.

If both of those are good, I would load and try a few carefully. with bullseye starting load data.

Hope this helps.

Hitman
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I just found a primer flipper tray, found myself wondering if my metal tray with the pad inside is hornady's version of a flipper tray..... Hmmmm anyone think this is the case?

mdi
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Your next acquisition should be "ABCs of Reloading" or "Lymans 49th Edition Reloading Handbook". If you already have them then they can tell you all the equipment you'll need for your specific reloading needs. I too would be suspect of unknown powders, ya never know.:shock: Unless the container was Factory Sealed, I don't think I'd use it. Just use it as fertilizer.

Reloading is a very satisfying addition to shooting hobbies, and lots of fun too. Go slow, be safe, and enjoy...

P.S. I think that tin you're takling about is a lube pad, for lubing cases prior to sizing in an all steel die.

cheese1566
02-06-2010, 11:28 AM
I just found a primer flipper tray, found myself wondering if my metal tray with the pad inside is hornady's version of a flipper tray..... Hmmmm anyone think this is the case?

Post a pic! How big is it?

Bulletlube
02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I would guess that the metal tray with the pad inside is a case lube pad. You put lube on the pad then roll casses on it before you size them. Be careful not to get too much lube on the case or you might get lube dents.

HeavyMetal
02-06-2010, 01:28 PM
The Tru line dies were never made in Carbide so the case with the pad init has to be a case lube pad!

Do not try to size a case in these dies without lubing it! It will be stuck and cause you no end of grief!

I think you did good for 50! The tru line can be converted to use standard 7/8-14 dies so you can get carbide dies to fit also Lyman sells a kit to convert the shell holder to the universal design used currently by all the major die makers!

If the Tru line press has the compound linkage you can size 44 mag on it after you convert to the bigger die set up.

Throckmorton
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
did u get instructions with that Lyman measure? my buddy has one and it's not an easy one to figure out on your own,what with mulitple sliding 'barrels' for adjustments.
I"d suggest the 1st thing you do is loosen the 2 knurled nuts and remove the drums/barrels to see how they fit together and operate,and clean them up with fine steel wool or the like...get to know your measure,it'll help.

I have his here,and can copy and email the instruction sheet to you if you like.

Heres' how we got his to dump VERY accurate loads;
rap hopper twice with knukle
pull handle down,
flip the flipper
raise handle.

repeat for next shell.
in real life only takes about 5 seconds or so,but really improves the accuracy of the dump.
I"d say you got a very good deal for fifty bucks,the measures sell for at least that,used.

burfurd
02-06-2010, 06:48 PM
The tru line jr. dies only neck size for rifle cases so I don't think you would stick a case if you didn't lube. I would purchase one of the turrets that use 7/8X14 standard dies and not look back.

burfurd

dolang1
02-06-2010, 08:09 PM
You hit a home run with that deal and likely hit another one when you trade that 380 brass for a new pickup. LOL Later Don

Hitman
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Anyone have a truck for trade? hehe

I think you guys are right about the hornady case it has sticky sides so a case luber would make sense.

Throckmorton I did not recieve any instructions so an email would be super helpful.

I have been looking over the lyman site and have found no support for the true line jr.
HeavyMetal if you know where I can find the shell holder kit could you post a link would be very appreciated.

Thank you all for your help, I hope to do well with the reloading cause this stuff is getting fun already.

Throckmorton
02-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I'llemail those instructions later this evening,may need the wife to show me how to use her scanner,.. mine died. :(

Throckmorton
02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
DANG
the directions are not in the box.I think I know where to find them and get them copied,will let you know by tuesday.
anyone else have them to copy and send,just in case??

azjohn
02-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Instructions for the 55 can be found here.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/scales-measures/55-std-baffle-stand.php

Hitman
02-07-2010, 08:51 PM
OMG I had looked at that one but beings how it looked different than my older version I did not even think it was the same.

Just shows how much I have to learn before I even reload my first bullet.
Thank you guys so much for all your help and support.

02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
great deal! I can't stress enough, look through the forums and reading ABCs of reloading and your new load manual before you try anything. Learn as much as you can, and i hope you have a safe and happy reloading experience.

John Guedry
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
You got a bargain.

Gelandangan
02-16-2010, 08:13 PM
All those for FIFTY BUCKS???
you are not biting the bullet, you are swallowing the canary!!

I am jealous!!