PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron Ingot molds and Cold Weather?

Muddy Creek Sam
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Howdy all,

I have some cornbread cast iron molds and want to ask before I smelt in the cold how best to prepare the cast iron. Do I heat them prior to starting?

Thanks,

Sam :D

Doc Highwall
02-05-2010, 10:46 PM
It would not hurt just to make shure there is no moisture in them for the first time.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-06-2010, 12:13 AM
When any metal that has been sitting in cold temperature is brought indoors, the immediate response is for moisture that is in the warmer air to condense on the metal; that is a bad scenario for molten lead. It is better to warm/heat the ingot or dipper first before using it. Cast iron pots, utensils, corn bread molds, muffin pans, skillets etc, especially if they are cold/very cold have to be warmed up to some extent before being subjected to sudden heat. Welders who work with cast iron observe this as well as a slowed cool down process or else run the risk of the cast iron whatever it is....cracking usually with a loud pop and being ruined. I saw this happen when an unsuspecting/unknowing person attempted to weld cast iron legs back on to a dutch oven. It cracked badly and almost shattered. Suddenly pouring molten lead into a cold or unwarmed vessel of any sort or shape will produce or at least risk the same thing. So I would strongly recommend that you heat the corn bread molds well before starting to smelt into them. As a side note; if they have writing on the bottom that is either Griswold or Wagner, you might want to check and see what they are worth first. Some of that stuff can turn out to be highly collectible and of substantial value. LLS

HeavyMetal
02-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Pouring hot lead into a cold ingot mold will result in some very entertaining poping and splashing of the alloy!

The heat of the alloy will instantly force the cold metal to "sweat" and we know the results of water in lead alloy!

You can get the same reaction when bring cold ingots into your casting area and drop them into a hot pot of alloy!

My suggestion is pre heat in the oven or with a propane torch like a weed burner and heat ingots by having them get warm near the casating area before you drop them in the pot!

Muddy Creek Sam
02-06-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks Everyone,

This is my first time smelting in cold weather.

Sam :D

jsizemore
02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
At what atmospheric condition does condensation bcome a concern? Is it when the temperature of my tools are below the dew point?

Hickory
02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
jsizemore;
Your correct to consider dewpoint as a factor.