PDA

View Full Version : I just fired a sqibb!

superior
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I just fired an unsized Lee 457-405-f in my 1895g with just a primer. I was able to tap it out easily. Is the boolit now a bore slug? Can I measure it? It has rifling marks on the entire length of the boolit (6 of them).

arcticbreeze
02-05-2010, 07:29 PM
How far up the barrel did it get?

superior
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
It went the length of the boolit...not much more..

Four Fingers of Death
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Make sure you brush the spot out well. My old mate was a gunsmith and he reckoned that sometimes the boolit will leave a deposit of lead which leads to the possibility of the next boolit ringing the Bbl. I don't know if that is completely correct, but it sounds reasonable and I reckon, why chance it?

Sure is a crappy feeling when you hear that muffled pop though.

Phat Man Mike
02-05-2010, 08:47 PM
:shock: yup that pop sounds sucks:oops:

runfiverun
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM
really suckas when you don't hear it and keep on cycling.

docone31
02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
One day, I so rarely have squibs, the ONLY reason I did not fire a second round behind the first was it woudn't chamber.
A freaky feeling for sure.
I got it out, checked the barrel, and it fired a couple of hundred patched loads ok.
The squib was a jacketed FACTORY load!
Whew!

Four Fingers of Death
02-06-2010, 01:25 AM
The worst sort of squib (not that theres any good sort of squib) is a revolver one where the bullet gets stuck in the forcing cone and locks up the cylinder. Bugger! You have to pound it back into the case, not pretty :(

I've never really had a problem with factory ammo (apart from the Army ammo that was sabotaged during the Vietnam era) but last year I got a packet of Winchester pistol ammo with a bullet back to front in one of the cases. I figured that they were allowed one mistake in 46 years and many, many thousands of factory, law enforcement and military rounds that I have sent downrange and into fur.

Four Fingers of Death
02-06-2010, 01:26 AM
One day, I so rarely have squibs, the ONLY reason I did not fire a second round behind the first was it woudn't chamber.
A freaky feeling for sure.
I got it out, checked the barrel, and it fired a couple of hundred patched loads ok.
The squib was a jacketed FACTORY load!
Whew!

That'll learn ya to go shooting those heathen new fangled jacketed thangs!

Old Ed
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
If it doesn't sound rilght. Check the bore. I've had two. Both were cleared without a problem.

Ed

Artful
02-06-2010, 09:32 PM
The worst sort of squib (not that theres any good sort of squib) is a revolver one where the bullet gets stuck in the forcing cone and locks up the cylinder. Bugger! You have to pound it back into the case, not pretty :(

I've never really had a problem with factory ammo (apart from the Army ammo that was sabotaged during the Vietnam era) but last year I got a packet of Winchester pistol ammo with a bullet back to front in one of the cases. I figured that they were allowed one mistake in 46 years and many, many thousands of factory, law enforcement and military rounds that I have sent downrange and into fur.

No, the worst sort of revolver squib is where you have the first one go beyond the forcing cone, then the 2nd, 3rd and 4th wadcutter tries to drive it out but can't then the 4th on is in the forcing cone :groner:

But the absolute worst is one that goes about half way down your rifle barrel and then second one chambers and fires with the bore obstructed - not a good deal at all. [smilie=b:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/blown%20up%20rifle%20barrel/smallestminority/Kaboom1.jpg