PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating reamer chatter

yondering
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Thought I'd share a tip I learned recently about using wax paper to stop reamer chatter:

I ordered a long forcing cone reamer for my 12 gauge from 4D Reamer Rentals. I don't have a lathe, so I was running the reamer by hand. After a few turns, the reamer started chattering. I chucked it up in my cordless drill, to put more pressure into it and try to power through the chatter, but that didn't work.

When I called 4D, Fred Zeglin (nice guy and very helpful) advised me to put a couple wraps of wax paper around the reamer. The wax paper dampens out the chatter, and the reamer teeth cut right through the paper with a little pressure. This worked amazingly well! It allowed the reamer to cut smoothly through the existing chatter marks and didn't seem to slow down the cutting operation at all.

Old Ed
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
That's really good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Ed

Nobade
02-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I use plain old notebook paper, it works too. Just don't try to cut too close to finish depth with paper wrapped on the reamer, you don't have as good a feel and can miss your mark.

deltaenterprizes
02-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for that tip!

Willbird
02-12-2010, 01:11 AM
I have been lucky and helped by using mostly Pacific Precision reamer to not ever get a chatter I could not stop, but I saw my dad get one with a Clymer reamer(in a lathe) and he used a cotton rag to do the same thing as was described with waxed paper.