PDA

View Full Version : My First!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Well . . . not sure if they are cast . . . but, they are lead!

I took my 10-22 out for a walk this morning, in about 15 min I see a jackrabbit walking along who is not paying attention! It is about 80-85 yards away . . . it stops behind a mesquite bush, I have my scope set around 6ish power, I find it, and see a small opening, crank it up to 12X aim for behind the eye (I could only see the top half of it's head) and pull the trigger, complete miss! I figured that I should have aimed higher, as my gun was sighted in for 50 yards!

About 20 minutes later I see another (same?) jack rabbit walking through the high grass, and can just see it's ears, and once in awhile it's butt, I figure it is about 50 yards . . . it comes into a small "clearing" with shorter, and thinner grass, I click off the safety, and it freezes. I pull the trigger, It flops over, paced off at 54 paces, about 52 yards . . . my first rabbit (or is it a hare?!) Took out it's backbone at the neck, I was surprised how much damage those little 36 gr hollow points did! As I'm picking it up, I see another one walking away about 100-110 yards away . . . never did find that one . . .

Unfortunately I forgot my camera . . . so I called my wife and she brought it out to me . . . so here it is!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting002.jpg

After I got it skinned and cleaned, took me much longer than I remembered doing it as a boy, we raised rabbits for meat back then, we would just wack them with a pipe, then we had a couple of large nails nailed into a tree, and slit the skin by the Achilles tendon, and hang them up . . . no such luck out here, so I had to hold it while cutting and pulling, trying to remember what I was doing!

After wards I went back out, and everything was quiet, so I decided to take a nice picture of my hunting area, I get the camera out, and as I take the next picture, a cottontail jumps out from less than 10' away! of course I have my hands full, and when I whistle to it (I've heard that should stop it) it just makes tracks! never did find it! At least I got the picture!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting003.jpg

Lots of places for bunnies to hide!

Ready for dinner tonight!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting010.jpg

Slow Elk 45/70
02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Hullo 1.2.3, If you have never cooked a Jack Rabbit, you are about to find out why most folks hunt cotton tails for the table and Jacks for Coyotie Bait...I used to know an Indian down that way that could make them better for the table...but not I, good luck :redneck:

Gee_Wizz01
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
If you can cook a jack rabbit to the point it can be eaten you are a better man than I! I have tried to cook several of them, and they came out slightly tougher than a pair of elephant leather boots.

G

Johnch
02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Good shooting

Let the pressure cooker be your freind
Or put it in a crock pot and let it cook slow all day

Otherwise shoe leather if you cook them wrong

John

dk17hmr
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Awesome hunting rig.
Some day I will put up a video or pictoral of how to skin and clean a rabbit without a knife.

KCSO
02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I use to think that myself and then a buddy had me try some steamed dutch oven jackrabbit and I was cured. He puts them in a Dutch oven with seasonings and a couple cans of beer and lets them cook slow for 1/2 a day. Then he drains the meat and makes some good brown gravy with the dripping. So tender you can cut it with a fork and real good.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
So I went back out this afternoon, and got me a cottontail!

I was having trouble with my clip this morning and discovered that the center seam had split, and it would not feed, so I got out the factory clip, and here we go!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting011.jpg

This one cleaned out easier, but still spent 10 min! Tiny compared to Jack!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting014.jpg

Time will tell if the Jack is edible . . . I par boiled it first, then browned em up in a skillet, now they are braising with some potato's and onions, gonna add some garlic now, should find out soon what it is like!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting015.jpg

I'm a hungry!

Worse comes to worse, my doogie will eat Jack!

RugerFan
02-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Looks like fun! Some of the funnest hunting I ever had was going after snow shoe hares with a .22 mag. Quite a hoot when you get into a bunch of them.

MT Gianni
02-05-2010, 10:39 PM
I have eaten a few young jacks. I prefer cottontail but let us know what you think. Congrats Shawn.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Here it is before I put it on the table:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting017.jpg

The Jack's backstraps tender and moist!:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting019.jpg

Even Sara liked the one Jack "arm" I cut up for her!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting020.jpg

Both the rabbits were good, the Jack was "gamier" tasting, my wife thought it tasted slightly like mild liver . . . the Jack was for the most part as tender, or even slightly more tender than the Cottontail . . . not sure if it had anything to do with the fact I had covered the Jack with olive oil, and it had been in the fridge all day . . . or maybe the Jack was younger?

The Jack carries alot more meat . . . but is harder to butcher up.

Anyways, I'll shoot more of each . . . even the worst day hunting, is better than the best day working!

MT Gianni
02-06-2010, 01:41 AM
I wanted to see a loaf of home made bread with supper Shawn. Glad you enjoyed it.

Nrut
02-06-2010, 03:33 AM
123 DB,
I used to eat quite a bit of Black Tail Jack when I live down near Yuma..
I used a .223 Contender or my .357 max mostly and would aim for the upper half of the body..
I skinned them by hand (no knife) and used a pair of game scissors to split them at the diapham.. Tossed the upper half it it was usually messed up in the killing...
Then I would split the pelvis gut them and cut off the hind legs at the knee joint with the scissors..
Takes about a minute that way.. put themin a ziplock bag on ice in a ice chest if it was warm...

Cooked them in a crock pot until the meat came off the bones, take the bones out, chop up a onion, and add a some stewed tomatoes, canned green Ortaga chiles, and a envolope of Burrito seasoning, salt and cook for another hour on low..
Eat with flour torts... Goooooood!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-06-2010, 08:29 AM
I wanted to see a loaf of home made bread with supper Shawn. Glad you enjoyed it.

I didn't have time yesterday to make bread . . . It ussually is an all day affair with me, as I use very little yeast, and let it mature very slowly, brings out the flavor better, and then I don't have to mess with the starter like I use too, but back then I was baking 3 times a week, and had a real oven too!

I need to work on my cleaning procedure . . . may go look for some more this morning . . . but it is our turn to clean the church today . . . and groceries are getting low too, so we need to make the 28 mi oneway trip to the store . . .

Yeah the front leg shoulders don't seem to have much meat . . . I got the cottontail in the shoulder, and lost the heart . . . the Jacks heart was good!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-06-2010, 10:12 AM
123 DB,
I used to eat quite a bit of Black Tail Jack when I live down near Yuma..
I used a .223 Contender or my .357 max mostly and would aim for the upper half of the body..
I skinned them by hand (no knife) and used a pair of game scissors to split them at the diapham.. Tossed the upper half it it was usually messed up in the killing...
Then I would split the pelvis gut them and cut off the hind legs at the knee joint with the scissors..
Takes about a minute that way.. put themin a ziplock bag on ice in a ice chest if it was warm...

Cooked them in a crock pot until the meat came off the bones, take the bones out, chop up a onion, and add a some stewed tomatoes, canned green Ortaga chiles, and a envolope of Burrito seasoning, salt and cook for another hour on low..
Eat with flour torts... Goooooood!

Second mention of skinning by hand . . . more details please!

My first on yesterday, I cut around the hind ankles, and pulled down the skin to the but, cut around that leavingg a tad of fur around the tail . . . then pulled down over the shoulders, and front legs, once I got to the neck I severed the head off, went back and cut off the tail . . . still seemed to get quite hairy, as it sticks to my gloves, then back to the flesh when I grab it. My second yesterday I pulled the sking up on the back, and cut it around the middle and pulled both ways . . . still more hair on rabbit than I like, it sticks good!

When you split them at the diaphram . . . bacically you cut up through the rib cage and the back . . . leaving the guts in the rabbit, the split the pelvis (How? Just break? Scissors?) then pulled the guts? I have had more dificulty with getting the anus and attached intestines out in one piece, how do you do that? Mine broke the intestine close to where the pelvis is, then I split/broke that, and cleaned out the rest . . .

In the morning it was between 36 to start, warmed up to 48 when I came in, in the afternoon it was 61 degrees.

EMC45
02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Shawn....You can actually skin and gut a rabbit without a knife. To skin you can grab a good bit of skin/fur along the back bone in each hand and pull in opposite directions. Kinda like taking it's pants and jacket off all at the same time. To gut you start to squeeze at the top of the ribcage then work your way down to the belly. All the while exerting pressure on the way down. You will see the guts form a "ball" in the lower abdomen, then keep squeezing and they will burst forth from the belly onto the ground. Reach up and get out heart lungs and connective tissue and you are good to go! A squirrel on the other hand is like trying to tear apart a cowhide glove with your bare hands. And that's WITH a knife!!!

OutHuntn84
02-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Let me give ya a tip that my grandfather gave to me when I took my first rabbit. Get some news paper wrap the rabbit in it and burn the hair off the hare. After that just gut'em, skin'em, clean'em and cook'em with no hair in your meal!

Thumbcocker
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Its nice to see someone huntin gsmall game. Seems like anymore people hunt deer or nothing. Lots of good hunting to be had with the smaller critters.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Shawn....You can actually skin and gut a rabbit without a knife. To skin you can grab a good bit of skin/fur along the back bone in each hand and pull in opposite directions. Kinda like taking it's pants and jacket off all at the same time. To gut you start to squeeze at the top of the ribcage then work your down to the belly. All the while exerting pressure on the way down. You will see the guts form a "ball" in the lower abdomen, then keep squeezing and they will burst forth from the belly onto the ground. Reach up and get out heart lungs and connective tissue and you are good to go! A squirrel on the other hand is like trying to tear apart a cowhide glove with your bare hands. And that's WITH a knife!!!

So do you just break the pelvis? and finish the gut trail off . . . Break the neck? Legs/feet off?

I'm probably gonna wait til this afternoon, as it was cool this morning, (I don't like wearing gloves!) and I am being lazy, and I need to go get groceries, and clean the church . . .

cattleskinner
02-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Not to get this off subject, but there is an easier way to skin a squirrel. First you lay it belly on the ground while holding the tail up in the air. Take your knife and cut between the poop chute and the tail bone, severing the tailbone all the way through in the process. Cut down at an angle towards its ribs on both sides about an inch or two. Next you grab the hind legs and step on the base of the tail(where you cut), and pull up. This will skin the squirrel down to where the front feet and head can be cut off. Next grab it in the middle(where skinned already, making sure your hands are clean) and take hold of the skin on the squirrel's belly(it will look like a little triangle) and pull it towards the back legs, where you will cut off at the ankles. Then just take a knife and slit up the middle and take the guts out.

Mind you I haven't skinned a jack, so they may be tougher, but the cutting in the middle of the back and pulling both ways trick works good for wild or tame rabbits, some just pull harder. Yeah, we still eat little stuff at my place too.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Its nice to see someone huntin gsmall game. Seems like anymore people hunt deer or nothing. Lots of good hunting to be had with the smaller critters.

Yup, good prctice too! If'n you can hit a rabbit in the head, should be able to hit most others OK! Besides our "season" is 365 days! Any Day hunting sure beats punchin the clock!

[smilie=s:

ripshod
02-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Before standing on the tail you must first put a twist in it. When you put your foot on the tail the twist must be between the body of the squirrel and your foot or the tail will just rip off.Ripshod

Nrut
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM
123DB,
EMC45 answered your question about skinning by hand...
I also gutted by hand but just grabbed the lose thin skin (after skinned) down around the crotch and pulled it apart..
"Then I would split the pelvis (with the scissors) gut them and cut off the hind legs at the knee joint with the scissors".

I just had the thought that using the crock pot method of cooking you could add just about any seasoning that you want... For example how about "curried rabbit"...

dk17hmr
02-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Someday I will have pictures or a video of how I skin and clean rabbits. But here is a step by step.

There are 2 methods on this depending if you want the front half or not. I ussally dont because sometimes I miss the head and hit the shoulders, plus theres just not alot of meat on the front half of a rabbit.

I clean them right away, easier to do when warm.

Method one is for the whole rabbit.
1. Step on head close to neck, pull the back feet, this will pull the head off the body
2. Grab the rabbit by the skin mid back and pull in opposite directions to rip the hide right off. Might have to push the hide on the legs up like a sleeve.
3.Start squeezing at the bottom of the rib cage and keep squeezing toward the back end of the rabbit...this will split it open just above the pelvis and the guts will shoot out.
4. Insert 2 fingers into the split skin above the pelvis and pull your fingers toward the rib cage...this will open it up andget rid of extra belly skin.
5.Reach fingers into the chest cavity and pull the heart lungs
6. Break the leg bones just above the left over fur.
7.Cut the feet off
8. Cut the pelvis
9. Cut the tail off
10. Cook

Method two is the same as number one.
Start at #2,#3, #4
5.twist the body just before the rib cage, this will pull the front and back half of the rabbit.
#6, #7,#8, #9,#10

I will try to get picture or a video of the next rabbit I shoot.

goste
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Good story, and the cooking bunny looks good.........But...I guess I'm from the camp that won't willing eat a jack rabbit.. I shot lots of them in my youth, along with cottontails. We were taught to eat what we shot, no sport hunting..

My Mom had 2 ways of cooking Jacks, and they were both......um......lower level of edible.

I don't hunt duck for pretty much the same reason...

44mag1
02-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I have some croation friends who love jackrabbit, they hang them like you would a deer for 3 or 4 days then make them into goulosh.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
This afternoon I took my Stevens 311 12 gauge out for a walk . . . had 2 3/4" 1.5oz BB in both barrels (One is Imp cyl, the other is Mod) after about 1.5 hrs I see a coyote headed my way, if it kept its course should bring it to about 50 yards I re-loaded it with 3" 000buck, but when I looked again it was gone!

After another hour I flushed a Jack Rabbit at about 25 yards out I shoulder the gun and thought to myself "it's too far" . . . then I remembered (quickly) use the second barrel dummy, so it roared as the bunny was in the air, it landed and skidded to a stop! I paced it off at 52 yards! Those BB's hold quite aways out there!

I was able to pull it's head off, but I could not get the skin to separate, like the cottontail did last week . . . are you that are skinning by hand doing jack rabbits? It only took me 6 minutes today . . . getting better . . .

I noticed as I was gutting it, that there were two large sacs of clear "stuff" with a couple of little grains of white sand in it, one on each side, I also noticed that they kinda lined up with the BB's that penetrated the back, are they a result of the shot?

I also noticed on this one and the other Jack that I shot, some little yellow "mini rice" laying on top of the liver, they would move around on the surface, like they were in the fluid or something (just basicly a very thin layer of "stuff" . . . what is that? I read about the "rabbit fever" I think it is called tularema (or something like that!) but it made it sound like the liver actually turned color, and if I remember it would be white, is this right? Also if you cook it, that it is OK to eat anyways, just a risk of getting the blood mixed with yours . . .

I have it in the fridge now, probably gonna slow cook it tommorow since it is a Holiday for me! Also plan on going back out to pay my respects to Mr. Coyote with the 270 BDL!

BD
02-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Every "real" jack rabbit, snowshoe hare and goose leg recipe starts with : Boil for 1 hour...
BD

dk17hmr
02-14-2010, 11:27 PM
When I clean them, I always look at the liver. If there are white spots (tularemia) on them they are coyote bait.

02-14-2010, 11:39 PM
i like to slow cook the jacks, in some sort of sauce almost any thing works as long as it is a long slow cook..... good luck

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-15-2010, 09:33 AM
When I clean them, I always look at the liver. If there are white spots (tularemia) on them they are coyote bait.

Doug,

The liver only had these yellow flecks on it, not white, and I could move them around with my finger . . . are the white spots your talking about the actual liver that has changed color?

I'm gonna go back out this morning, I'll bring the camera with me today! Both Jack rabbits had this same yellow flecks like 1/8 size uncooked rice on it. The cottontail did not . . .

I talked with a friend at church last night, and he thought that the clear sacs could have been ovaries . . . would I have been able to see the eggs inside? (the little white grains of "sand"?)

Mk42gunner
02-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't know what the yellow spots are on your jack rabbit livers,but I always played it safe and fed the coyotes if there were any spots on the liver of a cottontail.

There are hardly any rabbits (cottontails) left around here anymore, I think it has to do with all the chemicals used during farming, and the fact that there is little cover left after most of the fencerows are cleaned out.

We also raised rabbits for meat when I was a kid.

Robert

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I looked at some pics on line, and they appear to be the actual liver changing color in places, this looked more like little globs of yellow fat on the surface of the liver.

I went back out this morning, sure was cold (36f) but nothing was moving . . . it was quite windy, the coyotes did not eat my gut pile . . . so not sure if they were not hungry or, had not found it yet . . . however the head was gone! (I had pulled it off where it had died, then I let it bleed out while I carried it aways, then I got to a post, I cleaned it there.) I did look at the liver again and the flecks, globs were gone, so not sure what it is, I'm gonna try to remember to bring my camera each time now . . . getting too forgetful! But I atleast brought both guns back with me!

barrabruce
02-15-2010, 09:40 PM
For rabbits hares and ducks I've always found a pair of secarers about the most handiest for cleaning.
Hare if you hang them for a few days are quite nice.
Eupoeans hang'em outside to they turn "blue"
Fist time I tried it the carcasses were bloatted :) :) In the end I threw one in the fridge for a few days to cure figuring there temps are aroun 5-10 degs anyways.
Don't hang a gut shot one thou just yer usual head shot ones.
Quite nice.
If you carrying your rabbits on a stick or string then just pocket gut them and peirce on leg at the tendon and bung the other foot threw to hang them up.

Me sometimes I'd just pocket gut them and just hang 'em on a limb with a stick to wedge in the chest area open to help them cool off.
Collect on the way back and put em on a stick if I didn't forget where I hung 'em L.O.L

A forky stick seemed easier to handle and can be dropped for a shot or the rifle rested across yer elbow for a shot. A hand full or 2 of rabbits becomes heavey and an awkward mess to keep picking up if you see a few more.

The grab 'em by the fur on the back and strip the shirts and pants off 'em is the eaiset way to skin.

To pocket gutting just run yer secater balde or knife down from the chest all the way through the pelvis.
Hold head up and strech the hind legs out like your beaking its neck .A good strong sharp downward thrust ended abruptley will fling the guts out leaving the lungs cavity in place.
And your hands still clean.
Less weight to carry. hang up to cool for a bit,
Or just string 'em up on yer ute and do a few dozen or so when yer want to change shooters or have a blow.
Anything less than a head shot and its not worth 2 bob if you wanna sell them.

Take no heed to me thou I'm am only a aussie

MT Gianni
02-20-2010, 07:31 PM
The livers I have seen were spotted themselves, I think the flecks on top of the liver are fat pockets.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-22-2010, 03:08 PM
The livers I have seen were spotted themselves, I think the flecks on top of the liver are fat pockets.

I think your right . . . I've been busy, so my hunting has stopped, and this next weekend I have to go to a conference in Phoenix for work . . . but I do plan on getting another to photograph . . . I like to eat the cottontails better, but there are less of them around, so I shoot what I see!

tarbe
02-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Great thread Shawn, thanks for starting it.

What could be better than an early morning drive in your prized W123, a little exercise in God's creation...and some shooting to boot!

I hope we all can continue to enjoy these little pleasures, just as it is obvious that you do.

Tim

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks Tim!

I have been busy, and a sicko, I'll be glad when flu season is over! I drive a elementary school bus . . . enough said!

This morning I went out for a walk-a-bout with my 311 12ga & 700 .270 . . . If I see something close I use the 12ga, if a Jack runs off and stops out of shotgun range .270:mrgreen: Also a bunch of coyotes like the .270! (Well atleast it makes ME happy!)

Anyhow . . . I decided to take "poor dawg" for a walk this morning, and I scare up a jack rabbit, It starts off at about 80 yards . . . I'm about to set my 12 down (to use the .270 slung on my shoulder) when I all of a sudden hear my dogs tag jangle like she is starting to run . . . out of the corner of my eye runs a cotton tail, so I shoot that instead . . . 1st time for dog out shooting, she is about 2 years old, we got her as a stray in the shelter, we believe she is part Standard Schnauzer, and part Jack Russel, she is missing an eye, and has a broken tail, and limps, was obviously abused by someone who wore a suit and tie!

Anyhow, long story short . . . I skinned and was gutting when I saw this liver:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/Tularemia3-26-10003.jpg

I turned it over and saw this "star":
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/Tularemia3-26-10004.jpg

12 gauge works well!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/Tularemia3-26-10001.jpg

So . . . do you think this is Tularemia? It is MUCH different than what I was taliking about the small yellow things on the jacks . . . I left this one for the coyotes.

Sara didn't like the "boom" but didn't freak! she likes smelling rabbits, and if it didn't have that messed up liver I would have fed her the front half! (she is on a raw meat diet!) She also likes to be out nosing around.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-02-2010, 07:53 PM
12 Ga got me two more Jack Rabbits, both Momma's, one had three and the other had 4 inside, absolutely tiny! (5/8" long!) My first time seeing them like this!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/RabbitFetus001.jpg

You can see the front foot:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/RabbitFetus002.jpg

Back foot, legs, and head with eye:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/RabbitFetus003.jpg

There both soaking in some brine, gonna be making some hassenpheffer! (The Momma's!)

Dave Bulla
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM
123.deiselbenz,

Here ya go. This is a link to the slickest way you'll ever find to clean a rabbit in the field.

http://mucc.org/mood/rabbit/rabbitclean.mov

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
123.deiselbenz,

Here ya go. This is a link to the slickest way you'll ever find to clean a rabbit in the field.

Thanks Dave!

I'll give that a try next one I get . . . yesterday I blasted a cottontail, but was too close, and used the wrong barrel . . . cut rabbit in half, leaving a bit of the back legs, and the front attached by some belly skin . . .

I'm not sure if this will work on a Jack Rabbit, as they are much bigger and tougher . . . but I'll give it a try!

Saw our first snake out yesterday too, a bull snake, one of the "good ones"

JesterGrin_1
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
123.deiselbenz,

That was simply Amazing. Good Job finding that Dave Bulla.

Changeling
05-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I've shot so many squirrels and rabbits I couldn't even count them. Here is a couple of tips that might help you guys. The foot on the squirrel tail is about as easy as it gets. Ripping the skin from the back in two directions is about the fastest and cleanest I ever tried in the field on rabbits. Doing it at home I use a small game rack and just strip the hide off in clean swipe (usually).

To make the job easier (a lot) I always carry a pair of side cutter pliers (large) and snip off the feet before I even start cleaning.
When you get home use a vegetable brush and wash/clean the rabbit/squirrel under running water, this will get rid of practically all the stuck on hair.

If you're not going to wrap and freeze, soak the meat in a brine solution for at least a couple hours to overnight, you will NOT be sorry, trust me!
Then wash again to remove the brine and cook any way you want.

I should add that I have never killed a jack rabbit (none around here) . However if a crock pot won't cook it tender, you're in a world of hurt, LOL.

Good luck.

Four Fingers of Death
05-10-2010, 08:47 AM
We usually chuck the front half, not enough meat to worry about (buttttttttttttt, if I onlt got one or two I'd make the effort.

I usually wrap the meat in bacon, throw in a heap of rough cut veges and a can of beer and place the camp oven on some coals with a few on top. Finger licking good. I need to get out there and shoot some, haven't dined that way for awhile. Mighty satisfying way of putting food on the table, especially when mixed with home grown garden veges.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-06-2010, 11:50 AM
This morning I went out for a walk-a-bout hoping to scare up some cottontails . . . I had with me my double 12 guage, an AK47 slung across my back for illegals . . . and I always carry my 357 mag SP101 . . . we had a light rain yesterday afternoon, but started on the thunder and lighting this morning about 3 am . . .
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/AugHunting1.jpg

First ten minutes I run into this:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/AugHunting2.jpg

I'm gonna just take a picture and move along, but . . . as I was putting the camera away it came after me! I was about 4 feet away when I took the picture . . . I stomped my foot and it stopped about 18" from my boot . . . I had laid my double 12 ga on my boot to rest while taking the picture, I grabbed my Ruger SP101 from my IWB holster loaded with MiHec's 140 gr turncated cone, (I guess that is what you would call it, or maybe it is a round flat nose) and shot it right in the mouth! You can see the exit a few inches down it's neck!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/AugHunting3.jpg

Designed for the 9mm, but I like it!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/9.jpg

I continued my walk, but did not see any cottontails, but three Jackrabbits took off from out of range . . . if it was quail and dove season I would have had my limit in 30 minutes!

I left the snake where it lay, but cut off it's head and buried that, I wanted to get it on my way back and skin it, It gives me the hebe gebbies . . . while it is stile writhing around . . . I came back in about an hour and it was gone! Probable either a raven or vulture got breakfast!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/AugHunting4.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/AugHunting5.jpg

Sure beats going to work though!

[smilie=s:

JJC
08-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Yup discovered small game hunting, elk hunting. No elk but plenty of squirrels. A hunt you can take the kids on and not worry about being noisey

Changeling
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Shawn that is some really nice camera work and absolutely beautiful pictures!

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
My wife just used my camera today for the first time, she said she really liked my old camera! Better than her own!

Arisaka99
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Diesel Benz, do you really carry an AK for illegals, or were you just :kidding: I would think that it would get heavy after a while?

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Diesel Benz, do you really carry an AK for illegals, or were you just :kidding: I would think that it would get heavy after a while?

Yes, I carry either an AK47 and plenty of ammo, or a Rem 700 BDL 270, with plenty of ammo! An extra 15 pounds is good insurance, and I get use to it anyways!

And yes it is incase I meet up with illegal drug smugglers . . . I'm not "hunting" them, but if they start something, I plan on discouraging them!

My 22 or 12 gauge doesn't have much range. I'm not really good at 100 + yards shots with my 357 mag or 44 mag snubby!

I'm sure you have heard the saying "Better to have and not need, than need and not have"

Arisaka99
08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah I have heard the phrase before. It is probably a pretty good idea to carry your AK with you, not only because its good out to 800yrds, but also because if they get hit, they aint moving. My cousin has my uncle's russian .22lr sniper rifle and it hits what you aim at, at 600 yards. It is a really good shooter!!

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Not sure how good the AK will do at 800 yards, maybe 800 feet, and I have iron sights on it . . . but either way, a few hundred rounds should keep them discouraged! Now my Rem 700 .270 has a 6-18 X scope on it . . . I hope I never have to meet up with them.

[smilie=s:

Arisaka99
08-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, if you are a reader there is a book written by Will Hobbs called Crossing the Wire, or something like that, but its about a boy who goes to america to work and support his family, but the only way he can do it is with drug smugglers and they decide to turn on him and his best friend and try to kill him, and severly harm a CBP officer. Its a good book.

azcruiser
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Looks like your a bit south and west of WILCOX .Got drawn for White Tail week of Thanksgiving
Turkey Creek area will be camping off Turkey Creek RD nice area

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah . . . I live in Sunsites . . . Just got my migratory bird stamp today . . . gonna go try some doves Sept 1!

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-11-2010, 03:25 PM
So . . . Sept 1 came and went . . . this place was loaded with doves! Thousands of them, everywhere! but alas I did not get out until yesterday afternoon in the 15 mph wind . . . saw a few high flyers, not sure where they all went! But did not bring any home, of course it does not help that I'm using and improved & modified chokes in my double 12 . . .

This morning I went back out . . . near a tank bank, really just a pond . . . and the shooting began!

Here is my first one!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/1stDove.jpg

Those little birdies can fly! Had one that was coming across the pond and my way . . . I pull up and give it the improved barrel at about 20 yards (kinda close, but they come on pretty fast!) a big puff of feathers, and it keeps flying! I spin around, and give it the second barrel full of 1 1/4oz of #6's! another smaller puff of feathers, and it flies off over the horizon!

All together I got 4 of them, and used 16 shots!, tomorrow morning I'm bring more ammo!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/Doves.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting/Doves-4.jpg

Not much meat on them . . . one half of one breast was destroyed as I was a tad close!

I was told that if I step on the head, and tail/feet, and just yank up on the wings, the breast will just pop off . . . if so, I did it wrong, but I got it done.

This was my first dove and bird hunting . . . when there coming in sometimes I wish I had an auto . . . but I run what I brung!

kbstenberg
09-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Talk about a disappearing act. For WEEKS before the Minn. early Goose season every evening flocks an flocks flew over our house just at sunset. Since opener i have heard 1 an seen 0.