PDA

View Full Version : Bullshop's Bullsize Case Lube

Recluse
02-05-2010, 02:53 PM
A fellow caster mailed me some of this to try, as he knows what kind of bad luck I have in sizing .223 cases.

Prior to trying the Bullsize, I have sent back three different sizing dies (2 RCBS and 1 Hornady) for stuck .223 cases. Two of the instances were with Imperial Sizing Die Wax, the other was with One Shot. To date, the only lube that has never given me any problems in .223 has been the Lee (toothpaste) lube.

For almost everything else, I really like the Imperial.

So along comes the Bullsize Case Lube and I give it a try. I firmly believe there is no better concoction for your molds and casting than Bullplate, so I was interested in trying the case size lube. Here are my results/thoughts:

1. Goes on kind of difficult, but it was cold in the shop and the lube was very stiff and sticky. Maybe I should try heating it slightly or setting it under one of my drop down lights?

2. In all my years of reloading, I have NEVER had a .223 case go into the resizing die as smooth and glitch-free as I did with the Bullsize case lube. Never. I tried the Bullsize case lube with both the Lee dies and my RCBS dies (no longer have the Hornady set).

I ran the cases after dipping the necks in my little Forster mica brush setup, and I ran them without any mica at all. No matter. The cases sized as easily and smoothly as anything I've ever sized.

So that's the good news.

3. The not so good part. In all the lubes I've used and made over the years, the Bullsize was nine kinds of heck to get cleaned off the cases. I tumbled and tumbled and tumbled and tumbled, to no avail. The media was hosed--sticky--afterwards, so I tossed it.

Took some old corncob and poured some odorless mineral spirits in it, and went back to tumbling. Noticeably better, but still not as good as I liked. Tossed media, added brand new ground walnut with a generous amount of odorless mineral spirits and a dab of NuFinish.

Finally. Clean cases.

Now, for ammo I load in small batches (twenty rounds or less), it's not a problem to take a shop towel dampened in naptha or mineral spirits and individually wipe and clean the cases. But for volume ammo, the cleaning could be a problem.

No doubt the stuff worked incredibly well for me when no other lube, except the Lee, had ever worked as trouble-free before. And at the end of the day, that is what really matters. But I'm an anal, ill-tempered guy who looks at casting and reloading as a craftsman endeavor and I like clean, shiny showcase ammo when I'm done.

Any feedback or tips or help from Dan or Daniel or Tina about cleaning the cases afterwards will be appreciated.

And, this is not condemning criticism in any way. With any new product launch, you have to garner and assess feedback. Negative feedback is more important than positive. You already know the good/strong points of your product--you need to know what bugs or difficulties your customers experience.

For me, the only negative was the difficulty I encountered trying to clean the lube off my cases.

:coffee:

yondering
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
I haven't used that stuff. Is it a liquid, or paste, or more of a wax, like Imperial?

Have you tried the Hornady Unique sizing wax? It is similar to Imperial, but a little different.

Thanks for the review.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Yondering, go to the bottom of the page and click on bullshop, if you wan more info , contact them, they will help you....their products all top shelf, if used properly IMHO

yondering
02-05-2010, 07:25 PM
I do use bullplate lube and speed green bullet lube with excellent results, just hadn't tried the case lube yet.

DLCTEX
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
There should be a solvent to remove the lube, but it's tenacity may be why it works well.

Bullshop Junior
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I only load a hand full at a time (Hardly ever more then 50) and do all the sizing when I am ready to load. I almost never tumble my brass (Not even range pick up, unless it is filled with packed dirt). What I do is take a paper towel and wipe the lube off. Comes right off, and it does not take that long.

Bullshop Junior
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
I haven't used that stuff. Is it a liquid, or paste, or more of a wax, like Imperial?

Have you tried the Hornady Unique sizing wax? It is similar to Imperial, but a little different.

Thanks for the review.

It is a wax much like the Imperial wax, but it has the famous Bullshop Green color.

Recluse
02-06-2010, 01:55 AM
There should be a solvent to remove the lube, but it's tenacity may be why it works well.

Dale, that's kind of what I was thinking so far as the tenacity equaling the effectiveness goes. That same principle definitely applies to the Bullplate mold lube as evidenced by how little you need and how long it will last during a casting session.

One of the things I like so well about Imperial is how easy it is to wipe off and without any detriment to the shine of the brass. But Imperial has also given me two stuck (.223) cases in two different brands of sizing dies. The Lee lube has never given me one--and I've done probably 10:1 (.223) cases with Lee lube as opposed to Imperial.

But .223 is the only case I've ever had any difficulties with when it comes to sizing and stuck cases. :veryconfu

I'm going to play around some more with the Bullsize. It may simply come down to soaking the re-sized brass in a tub of naptha or parts cleaner for a few moments, then taking some compressed air to dry most of it off, then a few hours in the tumbler.

As infrequently as I load .223 (I really have little to zero use whatsoever for the damned caliber), I can probably live with that. (Maybe one of these days I'll invest in a bolt-action .223 and change my mind. But right now, I have zero use, respect, admiration or empathy whatsoever for the caliber or anything that fires it. Obviously I'm not a varmint hunter. :))

But, no doubt that the Bullsize WILL do the job. No doubt whatsoever. And for its effectiveness, just like Bullplate, the price is untouchable by anything or anybody else out there.

:coffee:

kelbro
02-06-2010, 02:05 AM
You already have lanolin, I'm sure. Try the 8:1 99% alcohol:lanolin lube mix and you won't want for anything else on high volume cases. 223AI is one HECK of a great cartridge!

MtGun44
02-06-2010, 03:34 AM
I think brosaniya is shooting or throwing?? Puli boolits??

My Rooskie is really weak.

Bill

denul
02-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I load 223 and 308, military and commercial, on an older Dillon 1000, and settled on the RCBS lube die, which wicks a little lube onto the cases before they enter the sizing die. You occasionally refill the die, and the stuff is the consistency of table syrup. Eliminated a world of problems for me, and works well with the RCBS X-die, to reduce the need for subsequent trimming. Another die would not be an option in a press with fewer die stations, but the lube is available in little squeeze bottles. It cleans up by tumbling in corncobs, leaving no residue.