PDA

View Full Version : Making the list!!

DeadWood
02-05-2010, 02:40 PM
So i don't have to pay for shipping twice, please help me. Handloading for 30-30 lever action with CB when "I" make them. I have already loaded for jacketed rounds so i have the normal gear, dies,Hornady L-N-L progressive, "M" die, brass, primers,etc...What i need and have been reviewing options on the bigger items, but need help so i don't forget the little ones. If its not listed and i need it please tell me

Mold=have a custom one on the way and getting a Lee to practice with first

Furnace=I know my options and still deciding

Lubeamatic/sizer press= hopeing to find used one or try without at first?

Ladle= Lyman?

Lube= will buy for now before trying to make??

Gas Checks=Hornady or Lyman (need to do a search)

Sizing die=Lee or Lyman .310? other i realize may depend on sizer press

Lead=WWingots

May buy a CB kit, still looking at the big items when i realize i will need GC's

wiljen
02-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Get a Rowell ladle from Rotometals (advertisement at top of page) instead of the Lyman, you won't be disappointed.

GCs, Hornady that lock on are generally better liked than Lyman which can fall off. Also don't count Gatorchecks out, sold in group buys here - they are every bit as good as hornady and usually a good bit cheaper.

Get the Lee push through sizer and LLA to start out with. handles the lube and the sizer for $16 (hard to cover that territory any cheaper).

DeadWood
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
had looked at the Gator checks, but think the GB is done, will have to wait for next one.

Was looking at this mold for a benginner

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=574963

if i can't find a better/cheaper one.

Archer
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
+1 on the Lee sizer.
The one I've got works
great, and you can't beat the price.
You may want a lead thermometer.

454PB
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I used a ladle to cast for the first 10 years or so, then began using a bottom draw pot. I very seldom ladle cast anymore.

Some of those high end Rowell ladles cost as much as a Lee Pro 4-20 bottom draw pot!

That Lee mould may surprise you. I have it, and that boolit shoots very well in all my .30 caliber guns.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Hullo Deadwood, go to the Goatlips stickie and check out his approach, lots of good info there before you start buying items :redneck: :cbpour: :Fire:

plus1hdcp
02-05-2010, 04:35 PM
If you decide to get a bottom pour melter consider a stainless steel slotted spoon instead of the ladle. A couple of bucks from WalMart is what I think I paid. Thought this price was better than taking the one from the kitchen! You might want to think of an ingot mold, some use muffin tins.

Jon K
02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
DeadWood,

Gas checks...measure your boolit first, and check the sticky on gas checks vs shank size. Buy them the right size to fit the shank, and you won't have any problems.
Gator checks....you don't need to wait for GB...buy direct.

30-30...Which one? Slug the bore before you buy a mould.
Some have a .299-.300 bore, which won't chamber a bore rider nose diameter of .3015-.303. You can size the driving bands to fit but the nose???. Bottom line is once you've used the mould you can't return it.

Pot/dies/sizer/lube..............like Ford & Chevy, just depends on personal taste.

Jon

DeadWood
02-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Hullo Deadwood, go to the Goatlips stickie and check out his approach, lots of good info there before you start buying items :redneck: :cbpour: :Fire:

Are you referring to his website or is there an actual sicky?

Wayne Smith
02-06-2010, 06:47 PM
The stickie has a link to his website.

Realize that with the 30-30 you don't really need a gas check unless your mold requires one.

Let me also encourage you to slug your barrel. You don't know what size sizer to get until you do.

For ladle pouring get either the Lyman or the RCBS ladle. I find the Rowell ladles to be akward and you cannot pressure pour with them. The Rowell ladles are great for filling ingot molds, though.

Cowboy5780
02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
That mold works fine in both my marlin and winchester 30-30