PDA

View Full Version : Federal primers

jcw1970
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Anyone else having trouble with federal primers in their progressive? I keep bending them when seating. They seem really, really soft. I usually use cci, winchester or remington and have never had a problem with those brands. I've got 2k of these things and really don't want to hand prime. oh loading small pistol on a projector.

fourarmed
02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I prefer Federal primers in my Dillon presses, as they seat perfectly. CCI and Remington always give me too many high primers. With Federals seemingly unobtainable now, I am using some Winchester primers, and so far they also seem to work well. What press are you using?

JesseCJC
02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I haven't had any problems in my LNL with federal, you could just have a mis-alignment issue with the primer system

Edubya
02-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't know what kind of press that you're using but I let a man use one of my Dillon 550s and he was getting the same dents. I showed him that he had to make a smooth stroke each way. Do not get forceful just smoothly raise and lower then lean on the lever.
It may be that you are using some Win brass that had been used for the military and they had crimped the primers. I discard those, got plenty of others.
EW

HeavyMetal
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
are we crushing the primer as it seats or are we seeing dents or groves in the "face" of the primer once it's seated?

If your crushing check alignment and see if some case's are crimped military.

If your getting dents, like little cresent shaped crease's? clean the area under the shell plate you've got little piece's of brass getting under the priming ram and getting "pinched" between ram and primer during seating.

jcw1970
02-06-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm using a hornady projector. i don't see how i could have anything out of wack. after getting sideways primers and bent ones, i used some spare winchester primers and didn't have a single problem. weren't mil cases. all federal 9mm cases. even magtech primers are working better.

Willbird
02-06-2010, 01:10 AM
There are some federal commercial cases that have a crimp on the primer, it is from non toxic lead free loads, they have a larger than usual flash hole, and a COPPER colored primer.

Bill

jcw1970
02-06-2010, 01:47 AM
those are the ones. marked fc nt. figures. thanks for the heads up.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-06-2010, 11:02 AM
+ 1 for what Willbird said, you can cure the problem by Reaming the primer pockets or Swaging the primer pocket like military brass...IMHO :cbpour: :redneck:

Throckmorton
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
My only problem is not finding them locally for over a year now. :(
other than that,never had a problem seating them in 2 dillons',and I really lilke the way they go bang every time in my tuned guns with light springs.

ReloaderFred
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Throckmorton,

Johnnyjingos got in an order of 100,000 Federal Small Pistol primers just before Christmas that he ordered the previous January. I think they're all gone now, but you might send him an e-mail and see if he has any left. He has several other orders pending, and these were drop shipped directly from Federal, rather than going to the distributor first.

Reloader Fred

Throckmorton
02-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks for that info Fred.
at least now I know they do actually exist...somewhat.

bobthenailer
02-07-2010, 04:01 PM
in a dillon 450 and 550 ive used at least 200,000 fed primers with no problems caused by frderals primers themselves