PDA

View Full Version : A very good day!

C A Plater
06-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I stopped in to a local gun emporium today on my lunch break to pick up a new S&W 625 Mountain Gun I got a delayed on the "instant" check. The proceed came through and while they were getting the gun from the back room, I checked out the used lever gun rack in the back. The guy calls me up front and on my way up, another gent is just putting a Savage 99 back on the rack. Well, got to check this out. Hmm, not bad shape. Strait grip, schnabel nose but the butt has been bubba'd a bit with a rubber pad and there are some Williams peep on the tang. Oooh it's .30-30 Ooooh! it's a take down. Bore is bright and sharp, lever still has it's color. Man, is the lockup nice and tight. Action butter smooth. $600! The clincher was, "We can add this to the form and you can take it home with you today". Some days you're lucky, some you're good. Today I was good and lucky and $600 poorer. :D

Frank46
06-10-2006, 04:51 AM
Now thats what I call a man of action. Darn the money full speed ahead. You make me jealous. Congrats on both of them. What caliber is the mountain gun in?. Frank

JDL
06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Ah, you lucky rascal!! I've wanted a nice 99 in .30-30 for a long time but, it serves me right as I sold one about 25 years ago and, I might add, for less than a third of what your's cost. :-( -JDL

Poohgyrr
06-10-2006, 11:51 AM
:drinks:

I bet there were some big smiles on your face......

Congrats.

C A Plater
06-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Link to larger(300k) picture: http://tcbunch.com/kiosk/savage2.jpg

The Mtn gun is a .45 Colt. It killed my gun budget for next month or so but how often do you see a 1915 vintage 99 anywhere near this nice. I'm already planning extra barrels in .25-35, 7-30 whatever else will go through the magazine without modifcations. For now it is quite usable as is and I bet it's taken more than a deer or two in it's life time.

Frank46
06-11-2006, 02:56 AM
Sweet lookin savage. The mountain gun ain't half bad either. i'm looking for a revolver in 44 special and haven't had much luck. Have fun, Frank

Bret4207
06-11-2006, 08:05 AM
All these other guys can wax eloquent about the merits of the Marlin or Winnie, but give me a Savge 99 anytime over ANY othe lever gun. Just wish they had made a scaled down version in 22 LR.

Do a search and you'll find some info on some of us who also planned to have multiple barrels on the 99 recv'r. The barrel doens't need to be screwed to crush pressures with our modern Loc-Tite type materials. Getting the rotary mag to work with different case shapes may be the bugger.

felix
06-11-2006, 08:25 AM
My preference these days for snap shooting is the Ruger lever in 44 mag. Perfect balance for me, and it has the best lever throw in the business bar none. The lever can be cycled with the little finger, and that is no joke. However, it took a couple of thousand of high antimony, low tin boolits to make it shoot equally with the rest of the lever guns I have. It will shoot fairly soft boolits equally now. The model 99 my dad, now my brother has, is more of a normal rifle rather than a lever gun, and is treated it as such. That gun, really, is not a "lever" gun as we talk about lever guns. ... felix