PDA

View Full Version : Cast in the Garand

redneckdan
06-09-2006, 10:26 PM
which of the current production lee molds work well for use in the m1 garand? I'm looking for something in the 150-170grain range that will duplicate the issued loads or slightly less in terms of power.

Jack Stanley
06-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I haven't tried any of the LEE offerings in the Garand . The only experience I have is some time back using Lyman molds . I tried the 311466 and it didn't work all that well the I remember . Moving on to the 311336 I used a moderate charge of MR2520 and had it functioning normal . The lube was starting to run out on this one but the accuracy was still fine .

Jack

garandsrus
06-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Dan,

I haven't had time to shoot much cast through a Garand, but the Lyman 311291 cycles fine. There are a number of threads here that give load recipies. You may need to increase the powder level a little to get the rifle to cycle properly.

John

BruceB
06-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I have yet to find a cast-boolit shape that WON'T function in my Garand, or in my M1A either. The Lee 30-180 semi-roundnose is among the types that work fine.

I'm not at all sure that your quest for duplicating "the issue loads..... in terms of power" will be easily achieved. If reaching energy levels similar to M2 Ball ammo is important, I believe the best bet will be with heavier bullets than you asked about, because heavier bullets will deliver more energy at any given speed than lighter ones.

Getting satisfactory accuracy with cast bullets typically becomes more and more difficult as the velocity climbs beyond a certain threshold. Therefore, I'd recommend that you try something like "the BobS load", which uses H4831 to drive a 220-grain 311284 bullet at well over 2000 feet per second. This sort of load should certainly be approaching M2 Ball in terms of energy. I see that Lee makes a .30/200 bullet mould, which might also work.

I strongly suspect that to duplicate M2 Ball energy with lighter bullets and decent accuracy will be quite a task, as velocities will have to be up in the 2500-plus area and a lot of woes can accumulate in that speed regime. The rifle will function, no doubt about it, but it's the accuracy problem that troubles me.

redneckdan
06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
i meant that I want a load powerful enough to cycle the action. I should have been more specific that I wasn't looking for a load with equivelent foot pounds of muzzle energy.

BruceB
06-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Dan;

That makes things MUCH simpler. There are many, many combinations that will make the rifle work. I have a fair bit of data here, and let me know when you're ready to start. Also, do a search right here on Cast Boolits for "Garand", and you'll find a lot of data.

35 grains of 4895 runs my M1 quite well with bullets from 150 on up in weight, for example, and that is over TEN GRAINS lighter than the M2 Ball loading with the same powder and a 150 FMJ. Easy on the rifle and the shooter.

I always like to see your Houghton address....takes me back to a LONG time ago.

NickSS
06-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I just tried a lyman 311291 and 37 gr of IMR 4064 in my M1. It functioned fine and shot as acurately as M2 ball does in the rifle. I did not have any leading and recoil was a lot less.

abunaitoo
06-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I've been trying the Lee 309-180gr with H4895 at 35.5gr. Function is good, sometimes clip will not eject. Shoots 1" to 3" at 100yds standing.
34.0gr will not cycle
35.0gr sometimes will not cycle
Pan lube with Lazs white
No leading at all.
Best thing is hsells don't fly to far and are all in one place.