PDA

View Full Version : Which mold?

Hitman
02-04-2010, 10:11 PM
What would be a good starting point for .40 S&W and 9mm molds? These will be Glocks. (edit)

I like the round nose type or maybe the truncated cone, but I just dont really know what to look for for a "safe" boolit size mold.

I would like to punch big holes without going to the hollow point mold. I think I could achieve good expansion by using the BHN at around 12, so it would not be to soft or hard.

I am thinking of using 1lb pure lead to every 15lbs of WW. Unless someone has a better idea for this newbie.

Just remember I dont have all the equipment (basic cave man stuffs) and am still struggling with some of the lingo, so please use some laments terms.

theperfessor
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Its hard to say what size and hardness might work best until you measure your barrel's groove diameter and determine the type of rifling it has. Those are both fairly high pressure rounds.

I don't load for anything in .40, but I do use straight WWs for various plain base.358 diameter bullets in my High-Power with no problems, but I don't load to the wall.

The nose shape and overall cartridge length will determine feeding reliability. Obviously flat points/truncated cones/semi wadcutters will crush more tissue and maybe expand better.

It all depends on what your guns like. What works in my guns may not work in yours.

Maybe if you posted more info on brand/model etc somebody might have a better chance to help you out.

Shiloh
02-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm using water dropped range lead for most pistol boolits. Works fine. I prefer a bit lighter boolit for the .40 Currently using a LEE 175 gr. TLSWC with the base trimmed to the first groove. Weighs 158 as cast. Shoots quite accurately.

Lee also make a 145 gr. boolit mold. I think one of the other vendors make a 155 or so.

SHiloh

mooman76
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I started out using the Lee 175g SWC in my Glock 40. I was having feeding issues at first so I switched to water dropped and it went away. I later on accident used the non-water dropped bullets and the issue wasn't there any more so I attribute it to being a new gun and it smoothed out or something like that. In the mean time I switched to the Lee 175gr TC bullet and I also shot some commercial cast 155gr swc bullets that were a little harder than WWs kind of like water dropped and they all feed well. If you're not going to get an after market barrel watch for leading close. I also shot mine as cast with LLA.

HeavyMetal
02-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I have two 40 molds, the Lee 145 grain SWC which is an excellent shooter and a Group Buy 155 TC 6 banger.

Sad that Lee doesn't see fit to make the 145 in a 6 banger!

Both these boolits can be gotten into the 1300's with the right powder and barrel.

I'd start with the 145 grain as that mold is inexpensive and cast a bunch and see if the gun likes it.