PDA

View Full Version : Best dies etc for the .25-20

Multigunner
02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Since I've pretty much finished up my other projects for awhile I figure its time to invest a little time and money in reloading for my .25-20 savage 23B.

I have a Lee hand press, the type with a squeeze handle, I received it as a Christmas present long ago but never got around to buying dies for it.

First I'd like to know if dies made by other manufacturers will fit this little press.

Then I'd like to know if the .25-20 neck is as fragile as I'd heard.
If so would a collet type die be the answer. I know nothing about these or how they work.

Any other suggestions on tools or components are appreciated.

coyotebait
02-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Multigunner
Any brand of standard dies will fit your press. I just got the Lee 25-20 three die set with the factory crimp die.The factory crimp die will prevent collapsing the case while crimping the bullet in place. The lee dies work great and come with the shell holder, a powder dipper and loading data to go with the dipper. The 25-20 is thin brass but is easy to load with a reasonable amount of care.
coyotebait

Multigunner
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Thanks, sounds like just what I'll need, I'll order the die set and another die set for the .303 and one for .32S&W long if they have those.

Do you have a recommendation for a good all round bullet?

Also an old lead bullet cartridge I was given shows no gas check, would plain base bullets be better than gas checks at the sedate velocities of the .25-20.

The 23B seems to be a strong action, and I've fired the high velocity loads through it, but I figure to mainly use lower velocity handloads with cast boolits.

The rifle is in excellent condition, I doubt its had more than 100 rounds through it, bore is like new.
This is the best buy I've made on a used rifle so far. Cartridges are expensive and hard to find though. I had to make a day long drive to get the last box available locally.

coyotebait
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I shoot an original Marlin 94 with a rough bore so use flat point jacketed bullets. Your rifle may be able to use other nose profiles but confess I am not familiar with the Savage 23B. The Speer 75 gr and Remington 86 gr are all I have tried. I think a cast boolit in this cartridge should work fine. I see on Gunbroker a guy is selling 25-20 boolits, both gas checked and plain base.

Both factory ammo and components can be a challenge to locate at times so if you find some my advice is buy a years supply.

My next project is relining the barrel on this 25-20.

coyotebait

rickster
02-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I would go with RCBS dies. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=64657

shdwlkr
02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
what ever you do don't get Redding dies as it seems they have gotten sloppy of late. Mine for my 32-20 are Redding I think don't know for sure as everything is getting packed because of an upcoming move to another state.
I have several dies from lee and they are great, have dies from RCBS that are also top shelf.

FredT
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Multigunner, I have a very nice 23B. I have used LEE and Lyman dies, both worked well. Lyman makes a wonderful mold #257420, uses a GC and is designed for the .25-20.

My pet load for blasting is this bullet over 3.0 grains of Bullseye or 231. it is a light load and very accurate. It is light enough that I use small pistol primers for this particular load.

For jacketed, the Speer 75 grain FN out shot any jacketed I tried.

Hope this helps.

1hole
03-29-2010, 09:32 PM
So far as function goes, on average, one brand is as good as another. Difference with a Lee Pacemaker set is the inclusion of a Factory Crimp Die (a very good thing) and shell holder for a very attractive price.

Char-Gar
04-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I have been reloading the 25-20 for many years with a set of Lyman dies. I have never had a problem. Ham handed reloaders can mess up just about any case, but I have not found the 25-20 to be problematic.

Wayne Smith
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Multigunner, your comment about driving to find ammo suggests that you are not familiar with Starline. I got a 32-20 and never looked for loaded ammo, got 500 cases from Starline and a mold and started shooting.

shdwlkr
04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Multigunner
plain base, gas checked both work for almost any bullet you can think of it is how fast you are driving them that governs whether to use gas check or not. I follow the rule if I am not driving the bullet faster than 2000 fps I don't use a gas check faster I use a gas check YMMV.