PDA

View Full Version : alloying

redneckdan
06-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I picked up 3 rolls of 95/5 soldier that the boss threw out today. I need to harden up some range lead for my .45 acp If I mix it at 20/1 lead to tin, would this work okay?

sundog
06-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Dan, range scrap, especially if it's from a pistol range has already got alot of 'hard lead' in it. I've shot straight range scrap in pistol for years, and it's worked just fine. If it were me, I would save that more precious solder for when you REALLY need it. I think the addition of solder to range scrap isn't going to add that much to the mix. If you want it hard, use it as is and water quench. Of course, this isn't much more than one ten billionth of the world's opinion. sundog

felix
06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Sundog has it down pat. Don't append metals any more than you need to satisfy the arena you are shooting in. If it shoots good enough, then that is the ticket to success. The most successful boolit in the cast game is the CHEAPEST one that works. ... felix

robotek
06-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I checked my range scrap. Two days after casting the hardness ran 8-9 air cooled and 9-10 water dropped. It can be pretty soft depending on what has been shot at the range. Even that soft it worked fine for the 45 acp, but not in my 357.

ktw
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I picked up 3 rolls of 95/5 soldier that the boss threw out today. I need to harden up some range lead for my .45 acp If I mix it at 20/1 lead to tin, would this work okay?

If you ever end up with any really soft scrap (e.g. rimfire range lead), I'd be happy to trade you wheel weight ingots for it. (face to face exchange, no shipping involved).

I've got a lot of wheel weight ingots and could use more soft lead for muzzleloader use.

-ktw

redneckdan
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
this is primarily .22 rimfire bullets. ay 201 gr semiwadcutter at 500fps leads like a sunofagun. its accurate, just messy. If you want to trade wheel weights, I'm up for it. I'm heading toward ontangan this weekend, if you are in that area, I'd be happy to drop off a sample.