PDA

View Full Version : What's a henway?

motorcycle_dan
06-09-2006, 09:11 AM
I know, about 2 pounds....

But more important, what does a bullet weigh?
Do you weigh it before or after lube?
Before or after gas check?

I have a .44 cal lyman mold that is tossing bullets Way heavier than I thought. I assumed these would go in at 240~245. After lube they weigh about 252.

Okay, how much difference does it make when loading it? Should I adjust power up or down?

I tend to load near the light end of the scale. Use the .44 in a revolver and a brand spank'n new Henry Big Boy lever action rifle. Wooo Hooooo

mike in co
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
they vary a bit with alloy, but if this is the mould that is common in 44 that is listed as a 245..it easlily makes 250 plus bare and 260 plus lubed and gas checked. for discussion i use bare weight, for load data it is important to use full weight .

BruceB
06-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I prefer to weigh bullets before sizing, lubing and gascheck installation.

All of these modifications introduce their own variables and therefore make it more difficult to get a true reading on the uniformity of the bullets. In large bullets, where the gascheck and lube can add at least several grains, the addition of these items can really affect one's assessment of the uniformity of the as-cast boolits.

At the same time, the weight of lube and gascheck is not enough to give us any concerns about the loading data used...a few grains difference is rather meaningless.

Occasionally, I do weigh "ready to load" bullets, but it's mostly just out of curiosity.

sundog
06-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Weigh first, but there is an added benefit. As they go across the digital scale they are set on the flat weighing surface, and you tell real quick if the base is not flat. Those that are not (uneven sprue), even though they will be GCd, go in the bbl warmer box. GCs, in a given lot, can't vary TOO much. Lube might if you leave air pockets or don't lube evenly. Those are small amounts compared to the weight of the boolit. sundog

felix
06-09-2006, 10:01 AM
In reality, with cast especially, using the bigger calibers with slower powders the difference of boolit weight from nominal is completely insignificant. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
06-09-2006, 02:02 PM
That would be Ernest Henway, author of "For Whom the Bell Tolls." My personal favorites are "The Green Hills of Africa" and "The Old Man and the Sea."

Bass Ackward
06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
In reality, with cast especially, using the bigger calibers with slower powders the difference of boolit weight from nominal is completely insignificant. ... felix

Felix,

Ya know, I think that is probably a true statement. Not that you needed my validation or anything.

But you simply have a wider margin of error with weight or defects with slower powders.

kodiak1
06-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I ain't here to weigh bullets I AM HERE TO SEED THEM INTO THE BACK STOPS OF GUN RANGES AROUND THIS GREAT LAND. Now get out there and do it.
Ken.