PDA

View Full Version : looking for a shooting league

jballs918
06-09-2006, 02:02 AM
ok guys im looking for a shooting league for my lever actions. i dont want ot do the cowboy thing. i dont want ot do the dress up thing, nothing agianst just not my thing. i looked up uspsa. and it looks like they dont have a level action class. i may have nissed it but from that i gathered they didnt. any ideas guys

wills
06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
They may not wear costumes in cowboy lever silly-wet. i'm not sure.
NRA Rule 3.1.3 Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - Listed below are the three classes of Cowboy Silhouette Rifles. The below listed rules apply to all classes of rifles. (The intent of these rules is to establish a match for common hunting carbines and other lever action rifles. The match is focused toward shooters who enjoy shooting hunting arms and do not want to make the investment required of other specialized types of shooting competitions.)
1. Rear sights may be open sights, receiver or tang sights manufactured for the rifle they are mounted on. Front sights must be a post or bead, may be hooded or if interchangeable may use post inserts only.

2. Barrels must be original or may be relined. Original barrels re-bored to a larger caliber are allowed. Any safe trigger is allowed. Stocks must be of original configuration.

3. Ammunition may be loaded with smokeless or black powder, using jacketed or cast bullets, with or without gas checks. All bullets must be flat nosed suitable for tubular magazine use. Any cartridge causing target damage or deemed unsafe may be banned.

4. Firing period will include a 30 second ready (loading) period, and 2 minutes for 5 shots. Ammunition must be loaded through the tubular magazine.

5. Binoculars may be used for spotting. Spotting scopes or stands may not be used. No shooting jackets, shooting vests, or gloves will be allowed. NRA rule 6-9 concerning wind flags will not apply.

6. Classification:
Master 37-40
AAA 31-36
AA 25-30
A 15-24
B 0-14

(a) Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -

A. Any lever action center fire rifle 25 caliber or larger with a tubular magazine of original manufacture or replica thereof. A rimmed case loaded with a round or flat nose bullet must be used. (An exception for 35 Remington is allowed.)

B. Targets: Long Range Pistol, at distances of 50-100-150-200 meters.

(b) Pistol Cartridge Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette -

A. Any lever action center fire rifle with a tubular magazine. A rimmed pistol cartridge loaded with a flat nosed bullet must be used i.e. 25-20, 32-20, 38's, 357 magnum, 38-40, 44-40, 45 colt, 45 long colt, 22 magnum, 22 long rifle.

B. Targets: Hunter's Pistol, at distances of 40-50-75-100 meters.

(c) Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette - Any lever action, pump, or semi auto rimfire with a tubular magazine. 22 long rifle ammunition only, Hyper velocity ammunition prohibited.

B. Targets: Smallbore Hunter's Pistol at distances of 40-50-75-100 meters.

etc
http://www.lasc.us/LASClevermatch.htm

drinks
06-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I would say they were not very authentic, as the .25-20, 32-20, 38-40 and .44-40 are all rifle calibers, just were adapted to revolvers.
Oh well, children must make up their own rules without regard for facts.

wills
06-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I don’t think their goal is historical accuracy. The CAS people do that, or try.

KYCaster
06-09-2006, 11:52 PM
If it doesn't take a thirty round detachable magazine, USPSA doesn't have a division for it!
Sounds to me like what you need to do is decide what you'd like to do, then go to the local range and volunteer to set it up and run it once a month or once a week (like Buckshot's Burito Banditos).
It might take a few months to get the word out, but if you build it, they will come.
If you wait for somebody else to do it, it'll never get done!

rebliss
06-10-2006, 09:18 AM
If it doesn't take a thirty round detachable magazine, USPSA doesn't have a division for it!
Sounds to me like what you need to do is decide what you'd like to do, then go to the local range and volunteer to set it up and run it once a month or once a week (like Buckshot's Burito Banditos).
It might take a few months to get the word out, but if you build it, they will come.
If you wait for somebody else to do it, it'll never get done!

I second that. There are lots of guys out there who'd like to set up a certain type of match, but don't have the time/inclination to get-r-done. If you know of another lever-action shooter, maybe the two of you could come up with a good course-of-fire and run it a few times.

Once word gets out, it may take off like it's got a mind of its own!

Dale53
06-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I have done that on several occasions at our local club. I have managed to start several programs that have continued without me. One big advantage is you can set your own rules if NRA programs don't meet your needs. We are presently shooting a modified .22 silhouette program with "swingers" that is configured for our available range (we use 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards). It has run for several years and we allow ANY safe .22 and any sights (iron sights get a one target handicap that seems to level the playing field just fine). We have everything from relatively inexpensive bolt action .22's thru Anschutz Silhouette rifles to BSA Martini Intl's. The matches have all been won by the best shooter of that day regardless of which rifle he might be shooting. We shoot the chickens and pigs offhand and the turkeys and rams off sticks (ala BPCR Silhouette). We started out like BPCR but after a couple of years the scores got too high so we added "pigs offhand". We may have to do the same with the turkeys as the people get better and better.

I also set up and ran a lever action match for a couple or three years. I used novelty targets, speed matches, etc. We ran eight matches a year outdoors at fifty and 100 yards offhand and prone. I might add here, that my 25/20 with cast bullets was VERY competitive (even shooting against the likes of a jacketed .218 Bee and a jacketed .219 Zipper).

One thing with all of the matches, we decided to have a meeting once a year. No rule change except at that annual match. If the rule turned out to be dumb, we would live with it until the year was up. This keeps people from trying to structure the match for themselves.

It is not that difficult to organize and run a match. Just get a group of like minded people, structure the matches for the good of the sport (not tailored for a particular person or group) and run them rain or shine. You'll be surprised at the support. You must give the match time to mature, it may take a couple of years before you have enough participation, just hang in there.

Food for thought...

Dale53

wills
06-10-2006, 02:29 PM
You could use the Burrito match rules as a go-by

Bucks Owin
06-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Your profile doesn't say where you live. If it happens to be NORTH Kalifornia, I know where you can shoot lever silhouette without looking like Marshal Dillon... :-D

Dennis