PDA

View Full Version : ML "Speed Loaders"

fourarmed
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
My son is getting interested in ML deer hunting, and I have been looking at ways to carry a couple of extra charges without taking along a possibles bag and powder horn. There are a number of gadgets on the market. Can you tell me which ones you favor and why? This is for a .50 caliber TC Hawken.

Beerd
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
make a loading block like this

carry a capper and pre-measured powder charges in 35mm film cans or something similar.

jlchucker
02-03-2010, 04:26 PM
For those of you guys who've reached the age of wisdom and experience, and who occasionally dip your head in the Fountain of Youth, a product called "Just for Men" contains a little plastic container stuffed with some latex gloves. For those who use this stuff, that container is tight enough, and handy enough, to contain a decent powder charge for your muzzle loader, and would really be handier than screw-top 35mm film cans. If the gents described above (none of whom have a gray hair in their whole head) saved up about 6 applications worth, and also carried the stuff described in Beerd's post, they'd be well equipped for speed loading a TC Hawken or Lyman Great Plains rifle. Just saying, of course.

Baron von Trollwhack
02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Come on, make it easy for us. Traditional? Flint? Cap? Inline? Caliber? BvT

PbSnSb
02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
The most efficient method that I have used is the RMC Magnum EC- Loader. I've used it on both a T/C Hawken and a T/C Omega. It's easy to carry and has a starter built in.

MT Gianni
02-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I have some older pl devices that hold a premeasured charge, a patched ball or a lubed maxi seperate from the charge and a primer on a lip. Fairly fast reload when you are used to the system. I haven't even looked for them since the 80's so I don't know about availability.

Johnch
02-03-2010, 09:13 PM
I carry 4 ( because 4 fitts in my pocket perfictly and they come 2 per pack ) TC 4-N-1 Quickshot loaders https://secure.tcarms.com/store/4-n-1-quickshot-cat-no-7057.html

Those 4 and my capper is all I normaly carry besides the knife and rope
Don't even carry a short starter

OK I do carry a pill bottle with a nipple wrench and a nipple pick

John

krag35
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
The guy I hunt with coined ( I think ) the phrase "handy packers, because they sure aren't quick". I use the T/C loaders, caps on both ends and a place for primers on each cap. I carry a capper also, because those exposed caps do get wet, even in my pocket.

bigdog454
02-04-2010, 10:46 AM
35 MM photo film containers work great for me, for either ball and cap in one and premeasured powder in some others.
The containers will hold 3 50 cal sabots with boolilts easily, and I can keep the powder dry in some others, I also keep one for the caps or 209 primers, depending on which rifle I'm hunting with that day. The price is right, photo developing places usually throe them away and if you ask they are free. Mine are all snap cap tops, and I've never had one come open in my pocket by accident.

fourarmed
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys! The rifle is a percussion model. I hadn't seen the RMC unit, but Midsouth lists the TC and another one with a built-in short starter. My son is an experienced deer hunter, but not a buckskinner, so something self contained is probably best to start. Plastic won't offend him.

White Smoke
02-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I also like the T/C 4-N-1 Quickshot loaders. Everything is there in one package.

webfoot10
02-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi Guys, Make up some paper tubes like they did in the civil war. Pour in your powder charge
and tie shut with some string. Spray with a clear sealer and you have a water proof cartridge.
You only need three or four. To use just tear open the tied end, pour down barrel,then
use the loading block (if patched RB) or a lubed minnie bullet and seat projectile down on powder charge. Prime (if flintlock) or cap and you are ready to go .Maybe takes three mins to load. Quick and simple. webfoot

Dean D.
02-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I bought a 3-pack of CVA plastic speed loader tubes. They seem to work well so far. I've only used them this past season and not in real nasty weather.

Simple device, just a plastic tube with a flip cap on either end. Patched ball in one end, powder in the other. Since I use a flinter no cap holder needed.

cwskirmisher
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Try "Cap Plugs". Used to protect threaded rod ends, etc... they can be gotten in virtually any length and diameter. The N-SSA uses them - get the diameter closest in size to your projectile, on the smaller side. For instance, for .50cal, get the .436 - it will hold about 80 grains of 3F BP and your ball sticks in the end to close it up. Once assembled, dip the bullet into your liquid lube to the rim of the cap plug, and voila, ready for your possibles bag and waterproof. To use, just pull the bullet, pour the powder, ram the ball (and put the cap plug in your pocket for the next time). They are about $5 per 50, available from most N-SSA sutlers to fit .50, .54, and .58 cal.

alleyyooper
02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
If your diabetic then the little bottle thingy that one touch test strips comes in works great for powder. the lid even has that moisture asorbing stuffs.
So ask How I know about them? Have two types the big ones that contour curved strips came in and the smaller ones that the new roll strips come in.

But I have several of the T/C 4 in 1's for years ago and love them best. Still need a capper for the 209 primers though.

:mrgreen: Al

winelover
02-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I carry my premeasured powder charges in cut down 12 guage shot shells. I plug the end with a "cap plug" that I recycled from plumbing fittings. They fit nice in the shell loops of the Hunter Orange vests we are required to wear. Projectiles are in home-made loading blocks similar to Beerd's post. You can carry a capper or another shot shell, of a different color, for your percussion caps.

Winelover:drinks:

Captain*Kirk
02-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I bought a commercial speed loader (came in a three pack; green colored for .50 cal) and they have caps on both ends. Since I shoot Lee R.E.A.L. Boolits, it's a simple matter to pop one cap, pour in the powder, pop the other cap, and drop the (pre-lubed) R.E.A.L. in ass-first...no short starter needed...and ram it home. I use a piece of foam to separate the powder charge from the boolit, seeing as how they are pre-lubed (don't want lube getting on the Pyrodex). I color the boolit end cap black with indelible marker so I don't mix up the ends. Essentially water-tight, very, very fast follow-up shots. I would imagine you could speed it up even more using a Wonder Wad between boolit & powder and dropping it all from one end. Hmmmmm...maybe I'll try that next time out!