PDA

View Full Version : Herter's super model 3

Big Country
02-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I just bought this from a co-worker for $20.00. can anyone tell me about this model of press? Thanks
Big Country

LAH
02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks like a simple C press. Appears to use Lyman/RCBS shell holders. Priming arm looks a little different but can't tell for sure.......................Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

Kskybroom
02-03-2010, 10:26 AM
You got a good deal ......
That press takes a herters shell holder. A little looking you can find them.
Or you can buy a adapter so you can use rcbs type shell holders. Thay are good for heavy duty use and light swaging. With a little care it will last 3or4 life times.
Nice Find.....

LAH
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
With a little care it will last 3or4 life times.

At least.

atr
02-03-2010, 11:10 AM
I have one of these,,,,bought it in the 60's and have been using it ever since....a very good press...I bought a snap-in insert which allows me to quickly change shell holders and to use standard RCBS type holders.

if you paid only $20.00 then you got a very good deal.

Shooter6br
02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Have one from my Dad He bought it around 1963 or so. Good tough press. I got a shell holler adapter i beleive from a company called C-H who also made a type of multi station presses. I bought a turret press (RCBS) but could never get rid of my Dad's Herter press Rick

KCSO
02-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Currently Vega makes the adapter. I Have a Herters 81 that is that press doubled, two stations side by side with one arm. They advertised this press as the only C style press stong enough for swedging and if you get the leverage set right it will do lead bullets. The Herters is about the most massive C press ever made and will last forever, I have never seen a broken one. If yours has the adapter on top you can take it out and use Herter's dies to load shot shells on the press too.

tall grass
02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
I got the shell holder adapter from Vega but it made the ram actual length longer so the dies had to be ajusted acordingly. Being anoyed with this so cut a piece of pipe that would go over the threads of the threaded bushing (the thingy that the dies screw into that screws into the press) that was the same length that was added by the adapter. I don't have it in front of me but it is around 3/8" long and 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" pipe. It is a loose fit on the bushing but if you center it, it works just fine. Like KCSO says it's a nice heavy 'C' press that doesn't give. And a previous owner painted mine RCBS green, how about that! ( I don't even care if it has any paint.) You did real well.

Jim

Big Country
02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I like learning about the older equipment.

tall grass
02-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Big

RCBS, I think, still make the adapter for the Herters. Get which ever you can get to your door step the cheepest.

Jim

Wally
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I bought one in the early 70's--I still use it to this day to seat bullets and to bell cartdidge cases. In fact I just loaded almost 2,000 .44 Spl rounds with it in eth past week. I have 5 Herter original Shell Holdrs for it--I wish I had bought a few more at the time for the 7mm Rem Mag and the .45 Colt. I do have an adapter for std shell holders but I prefer the ones made for this press. I use a RCBS Rockchucker to re-size cases...

Pressman
02-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice looking press. Yours was made between 1965 and 1977. It has all the upgrades to the frame and handle. Herter's reinforced the frame and handle, apparently because of some weakness problem. Still, they are great presses.
Like was said the ram travel is shortened with the shellholder adapters currently available. One way around that is to back the bushing out to get full travel and put a washer under it. 1-1/2" hole opening. The bushings are 1-1/2-18 tpi, same as Hollywood and most RCBS A presses, but not the rockchucker.
Ken