PDA

View Full Version : Lyman or RCBS luber??

Marlin Hunter
02-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I have had enough of messing with pan lubing. For those who are successful at it, I take my hate off to you.

I can't afford a Star and I have read bad reviews about the Redding luber, so it will either be the RCBS or Lyman. I have read that the RCBS is a little beefier, which is good since I will be sizing down some large boolits (.460 300+ grains).

I tried to figure out how the lubers worked by looking at the pictures, but can't really tell. The Star luber is easy to figure out by the picture. I also looked at the Lyman and RCBS website for instructions in PDF, but I couldn't find anything.

How do the lubers work in operation?

DO I just put a boolit in the luber, pull the handle, and a lubed bullet comes out, or is there more to it?

Are the RCBS and Lyman dies really interchangeable with each other?

Thanks

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2010, 12:53 AM
As for which one I would go with the RCBS as there warranty is second to none.

And yes the size die fits either RCBS or Lyman. :)

cheese1566
02-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Are you buying new or used?
Used= older RCBS Lube-A-Matic- for the ratchet lube handle and beefier operating handle
New= Lyman 4500- for the optional heating element access hole in the rear and solid base plate (no leaks out the bottom that some complain about)

Old or new, both will give good performance and parts are readily available, but RCBS has top notch customer no B.S. warranty satisfaction
Both units are very similar in size, design, operating procedure, and construction.

I have an old Lyman 450 and an old RCBS Lube-A-Matic, I sway towards the RCBS as my favorite.

Insert fresh bullet on top of die, lower ram, hold firm, turn ratchet a little itty bitty bit, raise ram, remove sized and lubed bullet, repeat...

Marlin Hunter
02-03-2010, 01:56 AM
Are you buying new or used?
Used= older RCBS Lube-A-Matic- for the ratchet lube handle and beefier operating handle
New= Lyman 4500- for the optional heating element access hole in the rear and solid base plate (no leaks out the bottom that some complain about)

It will be NEW unless I can find a used one for less than half price.

Does the RCBS have a hollow base, or is it solid like the Lyman?

I noticed that the Lyman comes with a gas check seater. Does the RCBS also come with a gas check seater?

Calamity Jake
02-03-2010, 10:20 AM
It will be NEW unless I can find a used one for less than half price.

Does the RCBS have a hollow base, or is it solid like the Lyman?

I noticed that the Lyman comes with a gas check seater. Does the RCBS also come with a gas check seater?

There both hollow inside the cast iron body with solid bottoms.
Both are basicly the same with execption of the linkage.
I wouldn't be suprised if both castings were made in the same foundry.
The RCBS does not come with a GC seater but the Lyman seater will work in it.

giorgio
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I have two old RCBS and an old Lyman sizer(with a repaired handle,of course).
The RCBS ,of different vintage are much better,sturdier and won't leak from the bottom.
I use Lyman H&I sizer dies because the number is written on the top,and it's easier to read.
In the Rcbs the numbers are on the body and are usually covered with lube.
When I need to warm the lube I use a propane paint remover or strap on a low watt cylindrical light bulb wrappedup in aluminum foil.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I have a new RCBS luber which I would definitely recommend. Never used a Lyman luber, so perhaps I really should not comment. I do prefer Lyman sizer dies though.

9.3X62AL
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm currently on my second Lyman 450, and while it shows no signs of giving up the ghost--if I need to replace it, an RCBS LAM II unit will be my next sizer/lubricator. They appear to be more sturdily built, and the RCBS warrantee is about as bullet-proof as can be. Unintended bad pun.

I MUCH prefer Lyman sizer dies to the RCBS units, and prefer Buckshot's sizer dies over both. Top punches by the mass makers are a tie, but Buckshot's are better--and can be made to fit boolits for which top punches aren't available via use of epoxy filler.

dubber123
02-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I own 2 Lymans, an older 450, and a newer one. I use a RCBS at my brothers house quite a bit. As a Lyman owner, I say buy the RCBS. It's a better machine in my opinion, and worth the few extra dollars.

02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Marlin Hunter,

Lyman has a kit that includes the press, ladle, gas check seater, furnace, ingot mould, and their Cast Bullet Handbook. Should be available from the usual sources for not much more that the price of just the press.

I, too, prefer Lyman dies because they have more lube holes and the number is stamped on the top, rather that the body. Also, Lyman dies are better finished.

Within the last few days, there have been at least two posters who said that their new RCBS dies are on the fat side and won't fit in Lyman presses.

beagle
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
I have both the Lyman and RCBS but use the Lyman more than the RCBS.

After you fix the inherrent leaking problem, IMO, the Lyman's better than the RCBS. The Lyman #450 appears to outshine their new 4500 but I haven't owned on of them yet.

Look for a good, used #450 or RCBS and you'll be happy./beagle

Smokin7mm
02-03-2010, 01:27 PM
I had a lyman 450. One day I was sizing some bullets and lube started coming out from the bottom of the sizer. Normally they leaked a little but this was flowing out. Upon disassembly I noticed the plug was pulled into the body. The lip on the casting where the plug seated had broken away about 1/2 way around. Now I had used this sizer for about 10+ years but I contacted Lyman and they said to send it in. When it was returned nothing was fixed or replaced but there was a letter with it that said they would gladly SELL me a new one. I now own 2 RCBS units and 1 star. (RCBS would have replace the unit with an apology that it broke).........GET THE RCBS!!
Bret

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
As you can tell some like Lyman and some like RCBS. But as said the way Lyman has been treating people with problems would steer me away to go with the RCBS unit. And this goes for used or new. As it does not matter to RCBS if you purchased there unit new or used or how old it is as they will back it the same.

Echo
02-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Both Lyman and RCBS lube/sizers show up on eBay all the time, and usually go for about $80 plus shipping, and that is about half price of new rigs. I recommend the RCBS - I have two, and a Star. I have used Lyman 450's, but they seemed somewhat flimsy compared to the RCBS/LAM.

jr545
02-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I had a lyman 450. One day I was sizing some bullets and lube started coming out from the bottom of the sizer. Normally they leaked a little but this was flowing out. Upon disassembly I noticed the plug was pulled into the body. The lip on the casting where the plug seated had broken away about 1/2 way around. Now I had used this sizer for about 10+ years but I contacted Lyman and they said to send it in. When it was returned nothing was fixed or replaced but there was a letter with it that said they would gladly SELL me a new one. I now own 2 RCBS units and 1 star. (RCBS would have replace the unit with an apology that it broke).........GET THE RCBS!!
Bret

Bret, if you still have the broken 450 I could use some of the parts.

Bradley
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Each has its advantages.

The RCBS has an excellent warrenty. Also it can use any vintage of sizing die. BUT as the unit ages the pressure screw (if that is the proper name) starts to loose friction with the walls of the reservoir. Eventually the screw just will not turn. If there is a fix for this I've not found it yet.

The Lyman 4500 has several nice features. A built in though optional heater for example. A much better designed pressure screw that doesn't have the problems that the RCBS unit has. But Lyman tightened up the specs on their machine some time back so really old sizing dies just will not fit.

I've got two of the RCBS units and four of the 4500's. I've stopped using the RCBS once because of the pressure screw problems.

Smokin7mm
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Each has its advantages.

The RCBS has an excellent warrenty. Also it can use any vintage of sizing die. BUT as the unit ages the pressure screw (if that is the proper name) starts to loose friction with the walls of the reservoir. Eventually the screw just will not turn. If there is a fix for this I've not found it yet.

Are you getting leaking around the o-ring? You might try replacing the o-ring on the assembly. I have replace the o-ring when they wear over time. My old lyman (now broken) used to do this and the plunger assemblyy would just spin and not apply pressure. Replacing the o-ring with a new one fixed it.
Bret

Smokin7mm
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Bret, if you still have the broken 450 I could use some of the parts.

jr545,
It depends on what you need. Several of the parts are useable on the RCBS unit. Send me a PM of what you need and I will let you know if I can spare it.
Bret