PDA

View Full Version : Best source for black powder 45 Colt bullets?

ClemBert
02-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Howdy y'all!

First post here. So here goes...

I don't think I'll be casting my own lead bullets anytime soon. For now I've been using Dardas Cast Bullets in flavor LRNFP 250 grain .252 diameter. However, these come with a smokeless powder lube. For now I melt out the lube and insert my own beeswax/crisco lube. However, these bullets have a rather small lube ring. I'm going to use the remaining ones I have to load up some smokeless rounds using Alliant Unique.

With that said I'm talking suggestions on your favorite place to get bullets with bigger lube rings. I am happy to get them without lube and lube them up myself I just want some bullets with the larger lube rings more suitable for the holy black. Thanks in advance!

Don McDowell
02-03-2010, 12:34 AM
This might sound a bit out of whack, but the Remington bulk 255's with a dab of lube wiped into the shallow hollow base work just fine. I've loaded those on top of 37 grs of goex 3f a .030 fiber wad, and went as many as 25 rounds in a new model vaquero. No loss in accuracy or binding of the cylinder. After 30 rounds I sprayed the face of the cylinder with some water to clean of some of the crud, after 35 rounds the gun was getting hot enough to be uncomfortable to handle.

Also check out www.cheycast.com for some good bullets.

cajun shooter
02-04-2010, 11:21 AM
You are not saying what these bullets will be used in and for what purpose. This makes for a less than accurate answer. If shooting in revolvers then a bullet than contains at least .7 of a grain of lube might work with out much fouling. If used in a rifle bbl of 24 in length then at least 1 grain of lube is preferred. Springfield Slim, is a member of this forum that sells the BP Big Lube bullets. These are good in all revolvers for SASS type shooting and will work in rifles up to 100 yds. I have found that they fall off in accuracy after this range. I have a good friend who kills hogs using the 44 cal bullets of this design. Later David

ClemBert
02-04-2010, 11:47 AM
You are not saying what these bullets will be used in and for what purpose.

Oh yeah...sorry...here we go....

Revolvers with 8" barrel or less. Purpose is to hit (plinking) what I'm aiming at (25 yards or less) using holy black.

475BH
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,81.html
Here ya go, many to choose from. May not be the least expensive, but you only have 1 place to shop at for everything.

HORNET
02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
You could check out Dick Dastardly's molds at http://www.biglube.com. He's one of this site's Vendor/Sponsors and his designs are intended to carry LOTS of lube for the Holy Black. Pour your own....it's only a little addictive.:bigsmyl2:

1874Sharps
02-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Clembert,

There are a number to choose from and I can attest to the helpfulness of the good folks at Buffalo Arms and great stock of BP items. Many of the Lyman mold designs go way back to the BP cartridge era and are still good choices today. The quality is good and the price is reasonable. I like the RCBS 230 grain Cowboy mold, as well, and find the boolits cast from it shoot well in my 45 Colt guns.

Cannoneer
02-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I second the suggestion of getting in touch with Springfield Slim, www.whytesleatherworks.com, and get some of the .45 cal., 250 gr., PRS Big Lube Boolits.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-16-2010, 05:50 PM
I'll Third the Springfield Recommendation. He does a great job, Superior Packaging and super Fast. Great guy to deal with. I use his Leather too.

Sam :D

SharpsShooter
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Correct link for Whyte Leatherworks

http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/

SS

prs
02-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I will also toot the horn for Springfield Slim as he does a fine job of casting MY boolit design AND his customers praise his work. That is also a very easy boolit to cast yourself if you ever get the casting bug.

prs

02-17-2010, 11:44 PM
Can't add much, but as Don suggested, that Remington swaged RN 250 is a good one and is not too hard (prolly around 8 BHN). But it is .454-5 so maybe would have to be sized down a little. Easy work for the Lee push thru.

There may be something to the large lube capacity style bullets but would think it more critical in carbine/rifle apps. Just dunno since I don't shoot BP in the cartridge single actions.

One commercial cast company not mentioned is Desperado Cowboy Bullets. They specialize in CAS type bullets and use the softer 20:1 alloy. They produce very good quality bullets at competitive prices and use reasonable USPS priority shipping. They use smokeless type lube but you can order unsized, unlubed (as cast) at a small discount... then size/lube to your flavor.
http://www.cowboybullets.com/index.html